• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

QB Reality Check Time--And What Separates The Elite--What I Learned

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Hi all, I thought a few here might enjoy this as much as I did. It was pretty eye-opening for me.

Last night I stumbled into a conversation between two former NFL scouts, and two current journalists. The topic was what really separates the elite QBs. And could someone put the "It factor" into visual form.

The picture that followed opened my eyes as to not only what separates guys like Brady, Manning and Brees from the rest of the league, but also put into perspective where we are currently at in terms of the QB position.

It answered a lot of questions, and caused me to think of many more. Such as:

1. Why will teams always pick an elite QB immediately, regardless if they have an offensive line?

2. What exactly are teams looking for, that if seen, would override any possible character concerns?

3. Exactly how high is the ceiling on our current QB?

4. How long would it take a rookie, or average NFL QB to ever become elite?

5. Should we just cut bait, or ride it out?

The picture below follows, with one caption, and two responses:

"Why he is playing chess, while most QBs play checkers."

"The other QB in the draft never throws this. Biggest difference."

"In a compressed pocket too."

Jameis.jpg

That's why McD5 brought you out here for this advanced tutorial Ax...

Still photography is great, and all. But they got this new thingamajig called "motion pictures". It's the bomb, too.

A picture tells a thousand words. The beholder chooses the words. Not the picture.

Afterwards, coach Gruden was attempting to pick a booger that had been nagging him all day. He didn't know whether to use 1, or 2 fingers. His location awareness was dreadful. Combined with no picking presence, he missed a wide open nostril. He's a bust.
gruden2.jpg

I'm curious who these people were and what their legitimate credentials are.

But I'm also hesitant to get involved with this as well because I don't think I'll believe this is anything but a slanted piece by some mediots

That sure looks like a clean pocket.

You should also be able to see several other things in that photo......such as:

1. A QB that knows exactly where the receiver will be prior to the snap.
2. A QB that read the defensive coverage prior to the snap, and who knows where the defender will be.
3. A QB that climbs up into the pocket, and pays no attention to the defenders squeezing in around him.
4. A QB that maintains perfect balance and position to deliver a throw; not one who is tucking it to run.
4. A QB that keeps his eye level down the field, focusing on the WRs and not the rush.
5. A QB that recognizes the WR will be open prior to him actually coming open.
6. A QB that anticipates what is about to happen, and who actually pulls the trigger on the pass.

Here is QB #2.

He does a lot of the same positive things that QB 1 did. Such as standing tall in the pocket and knowing where the WRs will be.

Yet he doesn't throw the ball.

Mariota.jpg

His reluctance to throw the ball could be for many different reasons, including:

1. He doesn't recognize the coverage of the defenders. He isn't sure where they are going.
2. He doesn't realize that this WR is wide open--as open as a WR in the NFL may ever be at times.
3. He isn't comfortable throwing the ball into a tight window--he doubts his ability to complete a tough throw.

You got all of that from one single picture?

You want to see all that so that's why you see it. He threw one touchdown that game and lost 59-20.

You also have no idea if that pass was completed or not because it's a single framed picture.

QB3 is RG3.

Knowing what these 2 former NFL scouts look at, and what they believe separates a good prospect from a great prospect, I imagine McLovin and the coaching staff are looking at things exactly like above.

Now the next question is what would RG3 have done in the situations above? Would he have:

A. Known where the receivers were going, have read the defense correctly before the snap, stood tall in the pocket and have actually delivered a strike?

B. Hesitated as QB2 did, and missed an open WR?

C. Worried about his knee and the rush closing in on him, tucked the ball to run, and taken an unnecessary sack?

Scot and the coaching staff now need to determine how long it will take RG3 to progress to the point of QB2, and then ask themselves if it's feasible that he could ever develop into QB1.

I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation. Can he compress years of experience into a very short period of time, and block his knee injuries completely out of his mind?

Or is he just too far behind?

Shouldn't you quote who they are or maybe even a link if you want people to take this seriously?

I've come to find that it's probably not worth the effort anymore.

There is a certain segment of the fan base that will believe whatever they want to believe, even if the preponderance of evidence clearly suggests the exact opposite.

You could quote 12 year NFL scouts (professionals) who say one thing and back it up with clear facts and examples, but the fans live in their own world.

John Keim--Jay Gruden says the Redskins aren't afraid to hit the reset button at QB.

Louis Riddick--And probably should....I mean who are they kidding?

But, you post random dudes from twitter that are saying very vile and outlandish shit....and expect something less than that?

Unless these guys are unquestionable or above the law.

The only thing that's going to stop the dissecting, speculation, hypothesizing, and flame wars is better play and team success. Period.

I will point out that you're just another fan McD5 - and some of your predictions over the past couple years might categorize you as living in your own little world too :) Glass houses and all.

Let's not have another pointless bickering match.

Not random or questionable, but 100% different than you'll find here. A night and day difference. Just polar opposites in opinions.

Professionals: From everything we've studied, it appears the earth is round and the sky is blue.

Fans: I think the earth is flat and the sky is red.

It's wild. Either a large amount of the scouts/journalists have no idea what they're talking about, or the fans have no idea what they are talking about.

The only thing that's going to stop the dissecting, speculation, hypothesizing, and flame wars is better play and team success. Period.

I will point out that you're just another fan McD5 - and some of your predictions over the past couple years might categorize you as living in your own little world too :) Glass houses and all.

Let's not have another pointless bickering match.

Agreed. It leads to nowhere.

Not random or questionable, but 100% different than you'll find here. A night and day difference. Just polar opposites in opinions.

Professionals: From everything we've studied, it appears the earth is round and the sky is blue.

Fans: I think the earth is flat and the sky is red.

It's wild. Either a large amount of the scouts/journalists have no idea what they're talking about, or the fans have no idea what they are talking about.
So, we're gonna insult fans because why? What do you think you're going to gain by doing that on a site filled with fans?

Your past as a fan is no better than anyone on here you just insulted yet you somehow think a twitter link makes it ok to now insult us all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.