• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

QB Reality Check Time--And What Separates The Elite--What I Learned

Did you guys know there's an actual society to a flat earth?

The Flat Earth Society

It isn't gonna matter who the QB is this season cause once McLuv's acquires us a couple mastodons our run game is going to be disgusting!

Whoever it is they're gonna go apeshit with play action to DJax.

wellll....I was listening to Winston pro day reviews this morning on the radio...in no particular order:

- his footwork is judged as horrible

- his accuracy wasn't all that hot

- his running speed is slower than many

- he looked like tubby the whale

just a single event. putting aside all the off-field stuff...this guy is a long, long ways from being a sure thing

In other news, Ladell Betts is now eligible for election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. (Retired 2010)

If RG3 is as horrible as you make him out to be, he'd be gone by now.

The reality is that in 2012 he was rookie of the year and took the Skins to the playoffs. His accuracy was unmatched by any qb we'd had here since Jurgensen. Injuries and a new offense certainly took their toll on his development, but give him a decent o-line, and we likely still have a gem.

It just depends on what you believe, and whose opinion you trust. Keim claims that RG3 is only still here because it's Dan's call. "Owner's decision."

As far as your belief about the line, here is how he and Riddick respond:

John Keim
‏@john_keim from earlier: Jay Gruden says #Redskins not afraid to hit reset button at QB Washington Redskins - ESPN

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN · Mar 30
.@john_keim ....and probably should. I mean...who are they kidding?

⇜ ⇜ ⇜ ⇜ ✈ ‏@chemtrails___ · Mar 30
@LRiddickESPN @john_keim How about giving RG3 a defense and an offensive line? He's a franchise QB.

John Keim ‏@john_keim · Mar 30
@chemtrails___ a franchise qb wins with what he has now. franchise QB makes those around him better.

Joe the Architect ‏@oldfartsays · 23h23 hours ago
@john_keim @chemtrails___ please show me a franchise QB that doesn't have a solid line and wins consistently

John Keim ‏@john_keim · 19h19 hours ago
@oldfartsays @chemtrails___ Brady had two bad guards. For years Peyton covered up his ol's with quick decisions. Luck hasn't had good ol

John Keim ‏@john_keim · 19h19 hours ago
@oldfartsays @chemtrails___ want me to continue? Sea hasn't had a great ol. Silly exercise. Skins need ol help no doubt. Quit making excuses

Riddick of course is very respected. Keim is just a journalist, but a journalist who talks to a lot of people around the league. Both will tell you that opposing staffs question RG3, and also that we have an average to above-average O-line compared to the rest of the league.

Also, Keim needs to pay me royalties. He must be reading my posts. He's now mentioning that Luck, Seattle and the Patriots all have worse o-lines than we have--the exact teams I've been pointing out for over a year now. And that hasn't stopped any of them from winning consistently.

It's not a big deal. Fans believe one thing, and many analysts/scouts/journalists believe the exact opposite. Both sides are deserving of their own opinions.

Last edited:
straw man. a couple tweets somehow grow into a "solid" generalization?

cmon now.

I will gladly admit Griffin has not been anything close to elite the past two years. In his first year, he showed flashes, throwing with anticipation at times, throwing from a collapsed pocket. I picture the TD pass he had to Paulsen, I believe against the Giants, when he was in a compressed pocket, had stepped up, and delivered a strike. There was also the great throw to Moss against the Cowboys, throwing in a tight window, and again to Moss against the Eagles(the floating pass direct over his shoulder for a ~30yd TD). Those had anticipation, good awareness, all that.

Nothing like that has happened recently. There is plenty to pick at. There hasn't been a lot of great flashes in his game since the knee injury happened. Who knows why, but I can say this: your description of what you see in that picture, a still, shows more about what you think of Winston than what is shown. You can't tell how compressed the pocket was, as they obviously only sent 4 to rush. You can't tell if he stepped up, as you have no idea what his drop on the play was. You can infer that he is throwing with anticipation, and that he threw his receiver open; you can't tell that from the still frame, as you have no idea if the pass was even completed. Give us a video, and we may see all the things you want us to; I know I saw some great plays from Winston the past couple years. However, a still frame from a game he got annihilated in is not something that anybody should hang their hat on.

Until there is a video of that play though, all I see is a guy in a fairly clean pocket (especially by NFL standards) delivering a throw that may or may not be completed, and a defender who turned their back the wrong way.

Edit: I know I have some of the games wrong with Griffin, but those situations did happen, I just realized the Moss pass was against the Giants, and I really need to look at the other one I'm talking about to see which game it was...but the situation still happened, point still stands :)

Last edited:
Shi, I'll try to put up some live video of the plays in question within the next 48 hours.

I do believe there will also be a nice piece put out tomorrow talking about exactly what I have mentioned in this thread--and hopefully that will have some live video.

As far as the pocket for QB1, can you see the LG about to step on his foot? And can you see QB1's left arm?

In the live video, you'll see where that LG was pushed back into him pretty violently. Notice where QB1's head is, and what he is focused on as he braces himself for this impact. He's fearless.

He's also playing against more future used car salesmen, than NFL quality players.

Many a college Superman has had kryptonite shoved up his butt in the pros.

Oh, I see the LG, who is blocking nobody at the time, stepping in that area. The video may show something else, but in that picture, the LG has literally nobody on him, and his hands are on the LTs back. If somebody shoved him, it was seconds earlier.

And as Ax said: College is an easier thing, with a lower quality of competition. It's all we have to go off of for these guys, to be sure, but that's why character is important. It gives something to go off of when the adversity gets greater.

Also, if Griffin has shown us anything, it's that being fearless can do more harm than good at times.

Also, Keim needs to pay me royalties. He must be reading my posts. He's now mentioning that Luck, Seattle and the Patriots all have worse o-lines than we have--the exact teams I've been pointing out for over a year now. And that hasn't stopped any of them from winning consistently.

That's not what they said at all. They said those lines had problems too. The inference being that our bad Online is not a good excuse for RG's struggles. Quite the opposite of you contention that our line is good.

12. Washington Redskins (5th)Pass Blocking Ranking: 9th, Run Blocking Ranking: 21st, Penalties 13th.

9th in pass blocking?

I know that seems absolutely crazy to the majority of people reading this.

PFF was on the computers of over 22 war rooms last draft? Pretty credible. If someone else can offer a more respected rating service, I'd love to see it.

So they say we are ranked 9th in pass blocking? What if they are way off? Insanely off.

What if we aren't ninth, but are actually 18th?

Now how does that correlate with the claims of some that our pass blocking is one of the worst in the league?

Crazy, right?

Last edited:
Breakdown: A lot of changing parts with Korey Lichtensteiger making a good switch to center and Chris Chester having one of his good years (which likely means a bad one is around the corner).

Oh my God, that was his good year last year. If we keep him this year, I'm gonna cry.

wellll....I was listening to Winston pro day reviews this morning on the radio...in no particular order:

- his footwork is judged as horrible

- his accuracy wasn't all that hot

- his running speed is slower than many

- he looked like tubby the whale

just a single event. putting aside all the off-field stuff...this guy is a long, long ways from being a sure thing

Source?

Well ladies and gentelmen...since the ignore button is limited and I have seen the last of the bullshit argument about how "serviceable" our OL is, for the last time...I am bowing out. I work too long and too hard to come home to try to enjoy a few minutes on this site, only to see the same troll saying the same shit that not a single ****ing person on earth agrees with. I bid you all adieu.

See you Brian. Good luck limiting your exposure in life to people who only agree with your point of view.

If there is anyone else here who doesn't think others have a right to post whatever they like (as long as it's respectful) whether you agree with the perspective or not, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out either.

BGO will do just fine with folks who want to be civil, respectful, and friendly. And if you can't be those things, we don't want you here.

Well ladies and gentelmen...since the ignore button is limited and I have seen the last of the bullshit argument about how "serviceable" our OL is, for the last time...I am bowing out. I work too long and too hard to come home to try to enjoy a few minutes on this site, only to see the same troll saying the same shit that not a single ****ing person on earth agrees with. I bid you all adieu.

McD is not being a troll. He's arguing his opinion like the rest of us. That is the point of this place.

12. Washington Redskins (5th)Pass Blocking Ranking: 9th, Run Blocking Ranking: 21st, Penalties 13th.

9th in pass blocking?

I know that seems absolutely crazy to the majority of people reading this.

PFF was on the computers of over 22 war rooms last draft? Pretty credible. If someone else can offer a more respected rating service, I'd love to see it.

Football Outsiders has the most comprehensive statistical analysis i personally know about.

Im out of town and posting from my phone but just for kicks I looked up their analysis of the 2014 OLs.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014 OFFENSIVE LINES

The Redskins were ranked 19th in run blocking. 31st in pass pro.

Dude, the game of football is not worth harboring bitterness towards another man, and severing relationships.
Seriously, what's more important ? Proving you're opinion is superior in relation to a game of football ? Or friendships ?
C'mon man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.