• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Poll: Do you want Portis back in 2010?

I vote nay unless he's willing to bust his butt in the offseason and play all through preseason. An uncapped year would be the prefect time to unload him and I'd have no problem if that's the direction the team decided to go.

I vote nay unless he's willing to bust his butt in the offseason and play all through preseason. An uncapped year would be the prefect time to unload him and I'd have no problem if that's the direction the team decided to go.

I agree with this. If and only if he works throughout the off season to prove his worth. No more prima Donna.

No as well. I think Portis is past his prime because of the load he carried.

I will say this much-concussions are serious-the recent emphasis by the NFL is, in my view, totally appropriate. Therefore, Portis' health must come before anything else-no matter what else may be going on with him, I'd hate the idea of him-or any other player, for that matter, getting physically damaged for life because of some perceived need to return to action.

Having said that, I'm putting my potential support for his return to the field under the same stipulations I give Dan Snyder-an obvious change in attitude. This should be displayed by renewed interest in keeping himself in top physical shape. This would entail rigorous adherence to physical training, attendance at all practices and training camps unless physically unable or so ordered by a physician. It also means an obvious shift in emphasis on the team's success as the prime motivating factor-doing what is asked without complaint or perceived "whining". If these stipulations are met I will not have a problem with him coming back for the 2010 season. If they are not met, he will have rendered himself, from my perspective, at best superfluous and at worst a liability that shuold be removed.

Regardless of what I think of Portis, if you just look at the facts; he'll be 29 years old next season, he has a growing list of injury concerns, he has issues with practice/pre-season and to top it all off he makes a boat load of cash.

If 2010 is an uncapped year we'd be better off saying "thanks for the memories" and moving on. RB is perhaps the easiest skill position to fill on any team and the one with the shortest shelf life.

time to eat the $6M cap hit and move on.

the new coach needs to start over and rebuild this offense from the ground up.

Portis can continue his career in the NFL but he is likely to face a situation where he is offered a chance to work as part of a rotation or platoon elsewhere, something his ego may not accept.

time to eat the $6M cap hit and move on.

That is the cap hit for THIS YEAR only. If cut, his cap hit would be much more significant, as it would accelerate all the pro-rated portions from future contract years. His 2010 Cap hit is $12M, not even sure what his 2011 and 2012 numbers are, and I *believe* he is signed through 2014.

This is why if Portis is gonna be cut, it has to be this offseason. Because who knows what the cap situation will be like in the future.

Time for him to go. And if we're uncapped next year, it's the perfect time to dump him and several other over-priced veterans.

What odd polling software on that site: it's currently 84-16 against Portis returning, yet the red bars supposedly showing the percentages are exactly the same. They need to find different software!

Ditto. And frankly, I'm glad he didn't get Riggins record either

What makes you think he'd change this late in his career ?

I also voted no, only because there wasn't a "Hell no" option..........

What makes you think he'd change this late in his career ?

I also voted no, only because there wasn't a "Hell no" option..........

Honestly, I really don't think this leopard would change his spots voluntarily but he IS under contract and IF he wants to play, and the team decides they don't want to pay him to play someplace else, he won't have much choice but to do what he's told. If he ends up trying to demand a trade because he can't slack off, I don't think any other team would come calling. It might just be a case of "bust your butt to play here or retire". It all depends on the FO.

Thinking retirement maybe? Maybe the danny can talk him into retiring and then "unretire" to get us out of the hit

http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=2498

But the more Portis talked, the more he sounded headed for retirement.

“I’m 28. I enjoyed it. I had fun doing it. I gave everything I had,” he said. “When I look back on my career, I will enjoy the highlights. If I get to continue and I’m not in D.C. I’ll give it all there.”

I know this will put me in the minority but I'd like to see him back.

He has some warts and I know he is winding down career wise but I think I'd sit him down and tell him I wanted him back. He would have to come to camp ready to play, in great shape, play a minimum of 3 series the first two pre-season games and 2 quarters the third. The fourth would be decided after the first two.

i vot no. it seems to me that every running back we put behind this makeshift line has success...but portis cant get it done behind (according to vinny) a playoff caliber line?

cya CP...im glad you didnt break 44's record.

got a text from a friend of mine who said he was talking about an eye injury and retiring.

Eye injury? What is it, a detached retina? MAYBE it's career threatening but it sounds more to me like Portis wants to retire and sit back and collect Danny's guaranteed money without having to work for it. I guess he gets the last laugh after all.

Honestly, I really don't think this leopard would change his spots voluntarily but he IS under contract and IF he wants to play, and the team decides they don't want to pay him to play someplace else, he won't have much choice but to do what he's told. If he ends up trying to demand a trade because he can't slack off, I don't think any other team would come calling. It might just be a case of "bust your butt to play here or retire". It all depends on the FO.

The FO scares the living hell out of me. They haven't been known to take the hard line with situations like this. It's Deion all over again.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.