• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Offseason Offensive Line Thread

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The offensive line is, and will be, one of the main topics of discussion around here. As it should, here in the Land of Long Ago Hogs.

So, given we'll be talking a LOT about that between now and the time whistles blow for real in September, seems to me the comments below by our new General Manager ought to set a fine jumping-off point to track and discuss all things Skins OL.

McCloughan said this year’s draft features great depth along the offensive line positions, and that in the coming weeks, he and offensive line coach Bill Callahan will narrow down their list to the prospects that best suit their purposes.

“We have a very similar philosophy about big guys, smart guys, tough guys, being able to run the football, being able to pound the ball and get that D-line to really want to quit,” McCloughan said. “Understand, you play the Washington Redskins, we’re coming at you. We’re coming at you no matter what, and so I’m interested in seeing how those [draft planning] meetings play out with the coaches.”

FULL ARTICLE

And no, the title doesn't mean write the most offensive line you can. :cool4:

Last edited:
If we don't go OT in the first couple/few rounds, I think it's a ringing endorsement, by Mr McGloo, of Moses.

If we don't go OT in the first couple/few rounds, I think it's a ringing endorsement, by Mr McGloo, of Moses.
That follows. Might extend to Spencer Long as well.

I still have a hard time seeing either of those ready to start on opening day, though. Long because he's been buried so very deep; Moses because of the injury question. Or any 2015 draftees, for that matter. Rookie starters on OL's make me very nervous ... Jon Jansen's are rare.

It all kinda has me thinking (hoping?) Scot has eyes on some other options as well--be they second-tier FA's or guys he knows and likes and expects to be cut by their current teams between now and this fall.

It'll be interesting to see what our new Oline coach can do with both Moses, and Long. I wouldn't be surprised to see either, or both, starting this year. Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

In other words, nothing surprises me. Knowumsayn.

Not that this has any real impact on what to expet from McLuvin's plan for this draft but just to see what he's done in prior drafts with Seattle and the 49ers, here's what I was able to find on what rounds he got his offensive "big uglies" from.

This does not include UDFAs.

OLs drafted by round with Scot M.

1-5
2-3
3-1
4-1
5-
6-
7-3

If that pattern holds we may indeed see an OL or two in the first couple of rounds.

No guarantees of course. :)

Anything Scotty can do to replace the abandoned Costco buggy that is Chris Chester would be welcomed.

Upgrade at center too. There's a few in this draft that maybe catch his eye.

Scotty, can you upgrade the Center?

"I'm givin' her everything she's got!"

Edit:

When you consider that Jansen,Samuels and Trent Williams were the last 3 picks for OT in rounds 1&2...Scotty's got to change that.

I'm really hopeful that the addition of McWhatever and Callahan will help us identify and acquire talent for this GD OL for the first time since when? Nothing of any promise other than in the 1st and 2nd round since 1989? That needs to come to a halt immediately!!!

Other than at LT, with Lachey, Samuels and Williams, this franchise has gone a very long time without standout offensive linemen.

Jon Jansen is one of the few names that spring to mind, and he last wore the colors in 2008.

Who am I missing?

Goes to what we've all been grousing about for so very long. Somewhere along the way, the Redskins organization lost sight of the non-negotiable NFL truism that games are ultimately won up front. We have either neglected the big men entirely (you go, Vinny), or simply been unable to select quality players when we've tried.

It's far too early to say with any conviction that those days are finally over ... but there sure does seem to be a sweeter breeze blowing in that direction since the new GM rode into town.

Other than at LT, with Lachey, Samuels and Williams, this franchise has gone a very long time without standout offensive linemen.

Jon Jansen is one of the few names that spring to mind, and he last wore the colors in 2008.

Who am I missing ?

When he could stay healthy, Tre Johnson was quite formidable on the line

Not that this has any real impact on what to expet from McLuvin's plan for this draft but just to see what he's done in prior drafts with Seattle and the 49ers, here's what I was able to find on what rounds he got his offensive "big uglies" from.

This does not include UDFAs.

OLs drafted by round with Scot M.

1-5
2-3
3-1
4-1
5-
6-
7-3

If that pattern holds we may indeed see an OL or two in the first couple of rounds.

No guarantees of course. :)

can you correlate with trade-downs? I know....harder to do. I'm just thinkin at #5 nothing I've read suggests there is value at OL for that position. but....McL is the shadow!

I think we've had many players who were great on the line.

Problem has been, after the ball is snapped, they don't seem to know that they're not supposed to just stay on the line.

Knowmsayn?

Tre Johnson was a beast. And a little crazy.

Good call.

Who am I missing?

Goes to what we've all been grousing about for so very long. Somewhere along the way, the Redskins organization lost sight of the non-negotiable NFL truism that games are ultimately won up front. We have either neglected the big men entirely (you go, Vinny), or simply been unable to select quality players when we've tried.

It's far too early to say with any conviction that those days are finally over ... but there sure does seem to be a sweeter breeze blowing in that direction since the new GM rode into town.

Randy Thomas had a couple of dominant years here, aside Jansen. Gibbs II put together a very solid OL with some decent plugins, Derek Dockery and Casey Rabach, with solid to great player in Thomas, Jansen and Samuels.

Corey Raymer was the last above average C to my recollection. Dockery wasn't too bad (not great) at G as well.

Is Leribious still on the team? Is it safe enough to call him a dud?

Overrated? Or over achievers?

That was coaches getting more out of less. Something the current staff has failed to do, so far.

can you correlate with trade-downs? I know....harder to do. I'm just thinkin at #5 nothing I've read suggests there is value at OL for that position. but....McL is the shadow!

Fan, trying to find any correlations in Scot M.'s drafts is well nigh impossible because of the unpredictable way he drafts. Over half his picks come as the result of pick trades of some sort-trading down in one round and then sometimes trading back up in a lower round, trading picks from next year's draft as well as this year's in a multiple pick trade. When he says he works the phones in the warroom he ain't kidding. About the only thing I've noticed is that when he trades down in the first or second round he seems to prefer to trade down two to four slots.

OLs don't have a pattern much either. About half come from pick trading and about half are just grabbed at one of the normal draft slots. No discernable pattern-although I know there was one operating but Scott M. is damned hard to follow once the drafting starts.

Here is an example of how he works.

You of course remember the 2006 trade of Bradon Llloyd to the Redskins for the Skins 2006 3rd rounder and 2007 4th rounder? Well, that gave the 49ers a third 4th round pick in 2007 which allowed him to package one of his other 4th round picks into a trade along with the 49ers 2008 1st rounder to the Patriots for their#28 1st rounder which he used to draft OL Joe Staley after having used the 49ers #11 to get LB Patrick Lewis. Meanwhile the 49ers traded their 2nd round #42 pick to the Colts for their 2007 4th round pick and their 2008 first round pick thus getting the 2008 1st round pick back to replace the one he traded to the Patriots.

Oh, those other 4th round picks? The one from Washington was used to draft DL Jay Moore and the one that came from the Colts was used to draft DB Dashon Goldson.

See what I mean? There's method here but trying to follow it is like herding cats.

Next time I may outline the "give three away, get four back" multiple pick trade he did with the Lions in 2011 where the Seahawks got OL John Moffit, WR Kris Durham, DB Richard Sherman, and DB Byron Maxwell from picks they got from the Lions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.