• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Offseason Offensive Line Thread

Champ Bailey, IMO, was NEVER a shut down corner. He was good. But not great. He should have "Toomer's Bitch" tattooed on his ass. Terrible at tracking the ball in flight.

Portis was a better RB, than Bailey was a CB. He just played longer.

Hindsight being 50/50, (Thank you Spurrier) I'd make the trade again, under the same circumstances.

I agree with this, generally, except for the 2nd rounder. Straight-up I think the trade was fine and worked out for both teams.

I think Bailey has been over-rated his entire career. He could stick to (almost) any receiver like glue but he was not particularly impressive at playing the ball. Plenty of times he'd be in perfect position and the WR would be the one to make the play. I don't ever recall him being a guy the other team would simply not throw towards the way Green, Sanders and Sherman were (or are). I'm glad the Broncos were happy with him and I know we were happy with Portis (at least I was) so it was all good there.

But that second rounder ... just another symptom of the Redskins throwing around draft picks like candy. When I think of all the picks we wasted over the years (Duckett, Lloyd, Candidate, Taylor, Brown, McNabb, etc ...) I just cringe.

Vinny didn't value draft picks because he didn't know how to use them.

Those days, I believe, are over.

True Henry. But I think it's all the other moves that taint the 2nd included with Bailey. Beathard had little regard for picks as well. But as BT has pointed out, correctly, he covered his ass by getting late round gems. Plus, the team was winning.

So, without all the other moves piled on it, the Bailey and a 2nd, for Portis, by itself, was not a bad trade, IMHO.

And to try and steer the thread back to it's origin, I wish Lauvao, Lichtensteiger, Chester, and Compton blocked as well as Portis did, pound for pound.

Vinny didn't value draft picks because he didn't know how to use them.

Those days, I believe, are over.

That wasn't just Vinny. Gibbs was in on that too and he never had much use for draft picks either. During Gibbs I that was fine but with the salary cap era of Gibbs II that attitude was no longer good and Joe never figured that part out. That was the same year we gave up our 3rd to get Mark Brunell, a guy the Jags were going to cut anyway, then turned around and traded a pick from the 2005 draft to move back into the 3rd round to draft Cooley.

That wasn't just Vinny. Gibbs was in on that too and he never had much use for draft picks either. During Gibbs I that was fine but with the salary cap era of Gibbs II that attitude was no longer good and Joe never figured that part out. That was the same year we gave up our 3rd to get Mark Brunell, a guy the Jags were going to cut anyway, then turned around and traded a pick from the 2005 draft to move back into the 3rd round to draft Cooley.

Ditto for George Allen.

This franchise has rarely valued draft picks. So happy that's changing.

Things worked in Gibbs I because he and Beathard represented opposite ends of the spectrum that contributed to a good balance of veterans and new draft picks on the team.

When Beathard left and the mid to late round gems started to disappear the team aged and while Gibbs was able to win in 1991 it was clear the next offseason that the roster needed to be rebuilt.

I think that was one of the biggest reasons Joe stepped away. He simply didn't want to have to cut players that had delivered so much for him over the past 8-10 years.

And if Beathard would have had his way, many of the players on that dominant "91 team" would have been gone before then. Beathard left because Gibbs kept the guys that won for him.

True, Beathard left because Gibbs was taking a larger role in personnel.

But Beathard really helped set Gibbs up for the 1991 Super Bowl by signing Wilber Marshall, trading Jay Schroeder for Jim Lachey, and getting Earnest Byner from Cleveland.

Zack Martin is proof you CAN take a guard in Round 1 and live happily ever after.

The theory you can find a guard anywhere is nice conversation but the truth is just like free safety, we have failed to do it.

If we trade down to that 12-15 range I would have no problem drafting Sherff.

He's got a serious mean streak. The kind of mean streak that only steroids can possibly provide.

He's got a serious mean streak. The kind of mean streak that only steroids can possibly provide.

or cokaine !

Eff it, let's feed the summonabitch bath salts on NFC East games!

On another note, I'm still giddy we got Callahan coaching up tbe line now. Dude just reminds me of Buges a little, good vibes IMHO.

I think a lot of Scherff's highlight plays would be pulling flags in the pros. Love to see what Callahan could do with him though.

I think a lot of Scherff's highlight plays would be pulling flags in the pros. Love to see what Callahan could do with him though.

Yea but that has more to do with what he does after the block, and after the play, than his manner of the blocking itself.
So the former is a whole lot more fixable than the latter.

Dude has a nasty streak no doubt.
All he needs to do is control it.

I don't see any reason for this team NOT take him at #5 overall

Last edited:
Absolutely, almost every player coming out of college needs to learn a more disciplined approach to thrive in the pros. Wasn't criticizing the kid, it just caught my eye.

And IMO I would much rather see a pick that got panned initially as overreaching that turned into a solid starter for a decade than one of the flavor-of-the-day fliers with all that "potential" that kinda craps out. I think a kid coming out of college that is challenged to live up to early criticism has a better shot than a lot that get the attention and praise heaped on them from the getgo and never realize that it takes hard work over time to be a star.

If you have a feeling about a player take him.

Johnson took Smith and Walsh took Rice in the first round despite people questioning their speed or in Rice's case the competition he faced in college.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.