• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Offseason Offensive Line Thread

We have had some great linemen here and one of the sore points for me is after watching us twice set the Super Bowl rushing record in 5 years, in XVII and XXII, I still have to see the likes of Chris Chester and Lauvao starting on this team.

Right guard is not as difficult to fill as franchise qb, but for this team it seems almost equally challenging.

We draft LeRibeus, Long and then sign these free agents we have now starting and some folks are talking about bringing them back.

Amazing.

I always liked Casey Rabach - he just didn't have the size to play that position... Put his work ethic and technique in a bigger, stronger body and he would've been really good.

One thing to remember when analyzing McGlau's draft history is that he didn't run it in Seattle...Schneider did. McGlau was a big voice there but the proverbial buck stopped with John Schneider so the final word on picks was his. Hence, I can't put a lot of stock in those drafts in terms of projecting McGlau's tendencies.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Right guard is not as difficult to fill as franchise qb, but for this team it seems almost equally challenging.

We draft LeRibeus, Long and then sign these free agents we have now starting and some folks are talking about bringing them back.

Amazing.

I can see doubts about LeRibeus but Long came in with a knee, so we might cut him some slack see if he can come in full throttle this time around before we write another guy off.

But Jay Gruden indicated this week that the issue wasn’t so much Long’s knee in and of itself but that he was unable to get into top shape because of it.

Here was Gruden’s assessment of the right guard spot when he was asked about it at the owners meetings in Phoenix earlier this week.

“Well, Chris Chester is still on the team and we expect Spencer Long to have an excellent offseason, come in in better shape. You you come from your rookie to your second year, that’s the biggest jump you have to make as a football player. It’s a big jump to get your feet wet . . . all the things that go into being a professional football player you learn as a rookie. Then in your second year you feel more comfortable coming in. We’re hoping that [tackle] Morgan [Moses] and Spencer alike make the transition into their second year and compete.”

So, clearly there are expectations for both of last year’s third-round picks. His knee being 100 percent will allow him to get into better shape. The natural progression that comes between a player’s first and second seasons should help even more.
Need to Know: Redskins? Gruden looks for a second-year leap from Spencer Long | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

My comment was more directed at keeping Chester and his $4M cap hit for 2015.

I would have thought there was one other player we could have picked up in free agency after dumping his contract and/or kept the cap space for a later offseason addition.

With the draft and more veteran cuts coming I thought we could replace Chester with 'another guy' at a cheaper price as Chris Cooley says...........

I always liked Casey Rabach - he just didn't have the size to play that position... Put his work ethic and technique in a bigger, stronger body and he would've been really good.

Couldn't agree more. Got to chat with him for a few minutes while he was doing his pregame routine. He was the first Redskin on the field, and others came and went, and he was still out there doing his thing. He actually took out his ear buds, came over to chat. Likely the nicest pro player I've met.

Evan Mathis, one of the best guards in the league is probably going to be traded, if we can get him for 4th or 5th I sure hope we do it, yes he makes 7 mill next year and 6 mill this year, but cut chester who is not even in the top 30 for guards to free up 4 mil and palying 2 mil a year for an upgrade to a probowler is a bargain.

I said 3 years ago we should sign him, but we didn't, this would be a good signing, he would give us a very good guard for at least 3 seasons giving us more resources to fill other holes, and then sign his replacement in 2 or 3 seasons.

great thread! thanks Serv, Neo et al.

this is going to be one of the more interesting drafts for us in quite a while.

Mathis is 33 years old. If Scot trades a #4 pick for him I will be disappointed.

If the Redskins had a quarterback in place and were ready to contend overall, you make that move.

For a team that is coming off 4-12 and needs long-term fixes, that means keeping picks and finding the next Mathis in Round 4.

Some strong words from a respected name.

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN
· 56m 56 minutes ago

OT's get the attention, & many will be over drafted, but OC Cam Erving = best OL in '15 draft. #NFL Starter as soon as his name is called.

The interesting thing about that prospect is that he was a tackle for the majority of his career--the guy is fascinating.

Due to injuries on the offensive line, they asked him to cover a few games at center, and he dominated.

https://vine.co/v/hpm6dQH1mw6

Or how about this guy? Seems to be a favorite among the scouts, and for good reason. Watch him play LT here, with three pancake blocks on one single play. Maybe the best play from a LT that you'll ever see.

Dante Fowler is a man. Him getting tossed around is no joke.

Arguably, our two biggest areas of need during our string of ineptitude have been the General Manager and Offensive Line positions.

Wouldn't it be something if we select two premium Offensive Linemen in a few weeks with two of our first three picks, and couple that with the hiring of McCloughan (our first real GM in quite some time)?

Now that's what I would truly classify as quietly winning an off season.

As much as I respect McCloughan's talk about BPA considering the dire circumstances of this franichise, I really hope when it's our turn to take the stage in the draft, that scenarios play our where it's in our best interests to go O-line heavy.

I'm tired of seeing our QBs on their backs in critical third down plays, I'm tired of struggling to get a yard when we desperately need it, I'm tired of not being able to close out games in the final minutes with the run, I'm tired of making goal line situations an absolute struggle. I'm tired, I'm tired, I'm tired! Fix the line, PLEASE!

The OL to me is now with the defensive additions the most needy area of the team.

We have bodies there but no one that gives you real confidence at OG or RT.

Moses' Lisfranc injury to me makes it critical the team invests in the line as he was perhaps the team's best prospect.

Now he is a question mark and will miss most of the offseason work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.