• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign DL Stephen Paea

And the photo albums filled with Polaroids are passed around.

We're done with Orakpo.

I am really sick and tired of hearing about our vaunted 3-4.

This team has never played the 3-4 at a high level.

For four years Allen, Shanahan and Haslett continued to screw around bringing in 4-3 players and expecting them to adapt.

Why not bring in 3-4 guys with some experience at OLB, NT and DE?

Every time the issue of 'fit' came up Haslett would say 'but we only run the base 3-4 a percentage of the time'.

Well if that's the case and the scheme isn't very effective why not try a 4-3?

I like Paea a lot. He's strong enough to occupy two guys no mater where you put him. And I realize that sacks aren't really a DT stat, but he had six last year. So not only can he eat up space, he can get pressure in the center of the line as well.

If it was my decision, we'd got back to a 4-3, and Paea would see some snaps at DE as well. Line him up on Kerrigan's side, then enjoy the opponent burning a timeout or taking a sack. Those would be the only options.

Why is the ****ing 3-4 so damn hard to figure out for teams and coaches? Every time you hear of a team going to the 3-4 it takes years and it rarely works within the first 5.

Why is the ****ing 3-4 so damn hard to figure out for teams and coaches? Every time you hear of a team going to the 3-4 it takes years and it rarely works within the first 5.

The 'Skins, for whatever reason, kept pussyfooting around with trying to obtain a true NT. Looks like we may have that now.

We'll probably lose him this time next year, of course, but we have him for now.

Nick

I don't think we 'lose' people. What happens is we draft or sign free agents that don't quite live up to the billing or what we paid to get them and then when their contracts are up like Orakpo we 'let' them go because the money being offered elsewhere is in excess of fair value.

About the front office. I expect Scot to bring in a new set of scouts and front office people after the draft.

For this one offseason/draft he is working 'on his own' I would remind folks that Scot ran his own scouting service last year for NFL clubs and is familiar with many of the college players coming out in 2015.

As importantly, we no longer have Haslett and some other coaches that kept us in a 'do loop' retaining players like Orakpo and Cofield season after season despite their inability to stay healthy and produce consistently when they were on the field.

After the Senior Bowl, the new GM and Washington’s talent evaluators — Scott Campbell, Alex Santos, Doug Williams and the rest of the pro scouts — met to evaluate potential free agents. They ranked players at every position, and selected those who fit their criteria — young players, ages 25 to 28, who also fit well into their systems. From there, they trimmed the lists to the top dozen at each spot and presented those lists of players to the coaches

Redskins stick with plan - The Washington Post

After the Senior Bowl, the new GM and Washington’s talent evaluators — Scott Campbell, Alex Santos, Doug Williams and the rest of the pro scouts — met to evaluate potential free agents. They ranked players at every position, and selected those who fit their criteria — young players, ages 25 to 28, who also fit well into their systems. From there, they trimmed the lists to the top dozen at each spot and presented those lists of players to the coaches

Redskins stick with plan - The Washington Post

The negotiation window opened March 7, and Schaffer sprang into action, contacting agents, gauging their demands and beginning serious negotiations with players that the team had determined to be of good value while also meeting the criteria of what a Redskins player in this new era should be.

This paragraph fascinates me. Notice the name there? It's not Bruce.

I, and I believe most Skins fans, had been under the impression that Bruce negotiated most of these contracts during the Shanny years and beyond. Now as more details come out, it appears that may not have been entirely accurate.

Washington Redskins: Eric Schaffer

Paea is getting blessed in his church today. He had a custom made burgundy suit with a gold bow tie made for the occasion.

Hardly any high schools run a 3-4 and very few college programs run the system. Not being grounded in it from an early age is a significant factor in the learning curve.

In this case though it would have helped if we had looked for players who came from 3-4 systems rather than trying to ramrod a veteran into a new position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.