• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Washington may be in the Mariota business

BGO

With the Eagles possibly out of the Marcus Mariota sweepstakes, another team in the NFC East may be getting involved. John Clayton of ESPN recently suggested that Washington would take Mariota at No. 5. *Rich Tandler of CSN Washington has analyzed what it all possibly means. For now, it’s likely a smokescreen aimed at creating…
b.gif

More...

So tired of speculation becoming journalism. This isn't the weather! You're actually supposed to know the job you have.

LOL. True enough ... but oh man is this a juicy one.

:behindsofa:

This has to be creating interest if he falls to us. Doesn't help our position at all if we come out and say we have no intention whatsoever of drafting Mariotta if available.

Pretty sure all Redskins-related sites would just implode if it actually happened.

This has to be creating interest if he falls to us. Doesn't help our position at all if we come out and say we have no intention whatsoever of drafting Mariotta if available.

Pretty sure all Redskins-related sites would just implode if it actually happened.

Agree. You have to make people think you have some interest, even if you really don't. It's all about the smokescreen.

I think it's going to be very very hard to sell the idea that we're interested in spending a Top 5 overall pick on Mariota, when we have invested so much in RG3, and the team seems clear that they havn't given up on him yet

I would probably pass on Mariota if he lasts to #5 but not because I am so confident of Griffin.

The truth is Mariota has some of the same question marks coming into the NFL that Griffin did in re ability to operate in pocket, read defenses, etc.

If this were anything like a qb rich year in the draft like 1983 or even 2004 I would take a qb and send Griffin packing for whatever return he would bring.

If there was a Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger behind an Eli Manning in the draft and I had the #5 pick I would be all smiles right now.

This is much more than conjecture, apparently. I asked Keim to do a little debunk and he outright declined, citing Clayton's expansive and reliable references. I figured someone who's focus is the team would probably know better.

It seems nuts to me. And if they do pick him, it'll push me that much closer to the edge with this team.

It seems nuts to me. And if they do pick him, it'll push me that much closer to the edge with this team.

If there was a Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger behind an Eli Manning in the draft and I had the #5 pick I would be all smiles right now.

Speaking of Philip Rivers, I wonder what's the chance we pull a "Philip Rivers" on Mariota, like the Giants did when they drafted him, and actually pick Mariota with the sole intention of trading the player - as opposed to trading the pick itself, or keeping Mariota

I think its a total smokescreen diversion. On the other hand, it does present the opportunity I refered to previously and with the DT acquisitions and bringing in a corner to get in FA (interviewing today), that makes the opportunity at #5 much more realistic. Don't know why anyone inside, or outside the organization would think we are set at quarterback. The whole league knows we are not after the debacle of last year.

Also heard Wilfolk is coming in to negotiate. That would definitely point to making a splash at #5.

edit: I said wilfolk but may be confusing that with Knighton.

Last edited:
Of course the 'best' outcome is we fleece the Jets out of a #2 or #3 pick to move down one spot and let them have their qb :)

Jets just picked up Fitzpatrick as their QB.

I am keeping all options open in my mind, but only because we have a general manager here who I trust for the first time in a generation. One who not only has a proven track record overall, but who hit it big on Russell Wilson.

I'm not a Mariota guy today, but I do allow for the possibility, however remote, that Scot has not only decided Robert is done, but might believe Mariota is something special. If he does ...

Well, like I said. Juicy.

Actually the Jets picking up Fitzpatrick sets them up nicely to draft a qb.

He's a veteran who can start the season while the new kid learns and can then be the #2 when it's time for the rookie to get on the field.

He's the perfect transition guy for a year or two.

Agreed, BT.

As is ... Bradford.

Agreed, BT.

As is ... Bradford.

Meh, Bradford's too expensive as a placeholder. Kelley either believes Sam is a GREAT fit for his offense and he can miraculously cure his injury problems, or he is planning on moving Bradford elsewhere (ostensibly for more ammunition to move up).

McLovin probably leaked this to Gazoo himself to generate more interest in our pick. I doubt any of the other teams are buying it though. I suppose it could happen but I'd be downright shocked if we took Mariota without trading Griffin first.

Perhaps, Goal. But don't be to sure. Kelley thinks he's a mad genius ... entirely possible he believes Bradford can be a solid bridge for a couple years while Mariota learns the NFL game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.