• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Washington may be in the Mariota business

GM McCloughan is in the Pacific NW today as he checks out the Eugene, OR Marriott.

I believe that what Clark is saying, that Gruden and Company don't believe Griffin has what it takes to be 'the guy', is true. In fact, it's blatantly obvious. What I don't understand is why we have yet to ship him elsewhere for whatever we can get for him.

To do that, you have to be willing to gamble that Mariota does in fact fall to 5 in the draft.

Or you have to feel comfortable that Cousins can be the guy.

McLovin has some incredibly difficult decisions to make with this situation. I mean wow, there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.

If I may be so bold ...

If pressed on it, McLuvin' might channel JFK:

"We choose to go to the war room. We choose to go to the warm room not because is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win."

PFT - the National Enquirer of football?

So...draft Mariotta then trade RG III when his value drops to a bag of deflated football's? If you trade Robert before that your hand is forced to get a FA, trade or gamble that Marcus falls to #5. And pans out.

See if the Browns jump on draft day when the Skins hit the clock.

Don't know that a QB is a major issue until line is improved.

I expect a QB pick somewhere in the draft but not in the first round.

I call them pftmz and they earn it daily.

My first reaction is pure speculation. No way this happens, and I still believe it.

The only problem with shooting the messenger in this case? PFT is merely reporting John Clayton's assertion. John Clayton, or Crypt Keeper if you will, is a highly respected sports' journalist with a lot of NFL connections. I think he has fallen in the past few years, but he still has more connections in the NFL than most.

PFT is what it is, merely a vessel, so you can dislike them as much as you want, and I do. However, the news did not originate from them, this is John Clayton...he has some clout and it appears like he's not backing down from this story. Even Keim is suggesting there may be meat to this after researching it.

I don't want Mariotta here, he's another QB from a college spread offense, a gimmick offense, that will probably have a few good seasons in the NFL because of his athleticism, but we don't know if he has the ability to be more than what we already have in RG3. No thanks!

That's about where I am, El. Only caveat I'd add is this ... there is a possibility, however remote, that McLovin' might love him, against the common perception grain, the way he loved Wilson. If that's the case, things could get interesting.

There is also the possibility that Clayton just reported a little piece of something he heard and pftmz has once again blown it up in drama that may or may not be there. So many times last year they did it to the point where we were yelling "shut up!" At gruden and Griffin because anything they said was used against them. Floriot is known to "lawyer" things until people believe it.

So I don't doubt Clayton reported it...but his exact report could have easily been distorted.

McLovin has some incredibly difficult decisions to make with this situation. I mean wow, there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.
On the flipside, I see it as one the easiest decisions he has to make, this year.

On a team with as many needs as we have, QB, barring a "can't miss" option at #5, doesn't make the top 5, of the needs we have. Between Doofus Winston and his off the field issues, and Marijuana being a white Robert Griffin, there isn't one, IMHO.

So, we have two young QB's, already under contract for this season, both of which can show better with a better team around them. The move is to stand pat with them being 1 & 2. Then somewhere, 4th round on, you draft Gruden's type of guy. Big, strong arm, ran pro style offense in college, etc... He gets to ride the pine, get a year under his belt learning how to be a pro.

If Robert and Kirk both shit the bed, so be it. The next season, we can either go with the jewel Mr McCloo finds us in this years draft, a better one he finds in next years draft, or an available veteran. All the while improving the entire roster, so that when the next young QB comes to town, he doesn't have to walk in the door shouldering 20yrs of upchuck.

Easy man.

BTW, I'm still of the mind that Robert will swing the pendulum back in the winning direction, and this will all be moot. In the meantime, improving the roster everywhere else is the key.

So many thoughts on this. (Thanks for that link McD. Solid piece.)

1. There is only one NFL qb in this draft class and he won't be available even at #2.

2. Mariotta is RG3 in a different costume. Other than the fact that Mariotta has two healthy legs.

3. If Gruden couldn't successfully design an offense that Griffin could run, why should we have any confidence that he could for Mariotta?

4. Ultimately Griffins future with the Redskins will be decided solely by money.

Well said Ax. I think Robert can succeed here too, but I'm beginning to doubt that the team believes it. If they don't, he won't.

I tend to agree with that Ax. The only thing I'd add is that we could possibly get a 4th rounder for him right now, versus letting him walk for nothing at the end of the year.

While I would love another 4th rounder in this upcoming draft for McLovin to continue the rebuild, I doubt that McLovin views a 4th rounder as attractive enough to deal him.

That's about where I am, El. Only caveat I'd add is this ... there is a possibility, however remote, that McLovin' might love him, against the common perception grain, the way he loved Wilson. If that's the case, things could get interesting.

From what I've seen, Om, I doubt Wilson would have been any better here than Griffin. I see the success that Seattle has experienced being built on the foundation of Lynch and the defense. IMO, any number of qb's could have had similar success. I believe that Wilson gets much more attention and praise than his actual play has warranted.

If Griffin is not 'the guy' every minute more spent on him is wasted time and energy. Whether or not we have the guy on our roster who is or in our draft sights is irrelevant.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with that Ax. The only thing I'd add is that we could possibly get a 4th rounder for him right now, versus letting him walk for nothing at the end of the year.

While I would love another 4th rounder in this upcoming draft for McLovin to continue the rebuild, I doubt that McLovin views a 4th rounder as attractive enough to deal him.
Agreed. Any draft choice, to me, isn't more beneficial than giving the guy you already put so much into, a final shot at paying off.

From what I've seen, Om, I doubt Wilson would have been any better here than Griffin. I see the success that Seattle has experienced being built on the foundation of Lynch and the defense. IMO, any number of qb's could have had similar success. I believe that Wilson gets much more attention and praise than his actual play has warranted.
That's certainly fair.

Not sure I completely agree though ... not to derail this into a discussion of another team's QB, but the one thing I'd say about Wilson that I can't about Robert, regardless of the teams that have surrounded them, is that Russell possesses a very high level of pocket awareness, spacial awareness, and decision-making on the move.

We'd be light years ahead of where we are offensively, and almost certainly not even having this conversation, if Robert was possessed of similar attributes. It would have mitigated his struggles learning to read NFL defenses and run NFL-style offenses considerably--probably enough to keep us from even considering moving him.

If Griffin is not 'the guy' every minute more spent on him is wasted time and energy. Whether or not we have the guy on our roster who is or in our draft sights is irrelevant.

Agreed on that truism. However, we must move forward at some point. That point was made when Gruden just recently said Griffin is the starting QB for 2015. Now it could be he was just trying to keep the controversy flames from spreading. But I can't see us having changed our position on the draft since that time. No matter what happens in the short run, the quarterback position is the most likely position that could hold us back this year (even with Mariotta). I just want the plan for the future to be put into action, and we can forget the "win now" approach that was our trademark and was last used with annointing Griffin the franchise guy. Griffin will have to play and win the division to stay, otherwise it is foolish to play him at all if he has been determined to not be the guy anymore. He is high injury risk so he can't play in order to preserve any trade value down the road. Again, that has to fall into the long term plans that have not yet been made evident.

Ouch!

<header>Rick Snider @Snide_Remarks
</header>Staggering thought - when did the Redskins last hit on a 1st-round QB. Here's the list - it's Sammy Baugh in 1937.

That's a little misleading. In 24 of those years the Redskins didn't even have a first round draft pick. Over that entire time span they've drafted 12. Norm Snead was one of those they drafted. He went to the pro bowl 4 times. Of course he was traded for Sonny Jurgenson, so I'd say that first round QB pick was a success.

And the jury is still out on RG3.

I wonder what the overall success rate is for 1st round QBs. Is the Redskins success less than the league average?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.