• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Roy Helu to Oakland

Dang Roy, I thought you were smarter than that.
Nevermind getting a new football coach, you need to get you a new LIFE COACH !

Seriously though, Helu is clearly wanting to be near his hometown of Danville, CA - just 20 miles outside of Oakland

Last edited:
I don't know why this bums me out as much as it does. But I think he was setting himself up to be a more powerful sproles type of player for us. I'm gonna miss that dude.

I wish the best for Helu. Maybe Chris Thompson can step up and fill that role.

I wish he had gone to New England. He would have thrived in that system with Vereen gone. Good luck in Oakland.

Thanks for your service, Roy. Wish you well. Except when you play against us.

Happy he didn't sign with NY, Philthy, or the Cowhumpers. Won't have to hate him.

For some reason, I didn't even think of Helu as a FA. Not sure why, maybe because there was no clue from the FO than they even wanted to retain him. Did anyone ever speak publicly about it? Don't really have any feelings one way or another and I'm not sure why that is.

Nick

I was big on Helu when he was drafted, and after his strong rookie season was thinking we really had something. Unfortunately, he never quite seemed to take the proverbial next step and grow into all that apparent potential. Had he developed his pass pro skills, I think the team might have worked to keep him here, but given his struggles there and no real special teams contributions, I suspect he was just another guy in the eyes of the coaches and front office.

I suspect that what you see in Roy Helu is what the Raiders are going to get--a guy just good enough to stick around.

His Achilles might have been the reason why.

The faiders signed him to a 4 million dollar deal. We really couldn't match that?

Or were we never in the conversation?

I think we had a ceiling on the guy, he wanted more, and probably got it from Oakland. A third down back who can't pass block isn't a rare commodity. I hope he does well, but... it's the Raiders, so...

His Achilles might have been the reason why.

The faiders signed him to a 4 million dollar deal. We really couldn't match that?

Or were we never in the conversation?

I'm thinking the team was never seriously in the conversation, part because Silas Redd, part because $4m is a lot of money for Helu.

Nick

2 mil a year is a lot?

I do find it funny to see people ripping him for not blocking...can you name one running back we currently have who can block?

I do think being close to home helped...but I just don't see 2 mil being too much.

Geez, Mike. I take it you really wanted us to resign him. Do you think we made a bad decision?

Wow, om. The sarcasm is just dripping from your post.

Yes I did want to resign him. I liked the kid and thought he played hard.

I just wanted to understand your position.

I'm going to give our new GM the benefit of the doubt and figure he made an informed decision based on Helu's abilities and the needs of this team as he seems them.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? In Gruden's scheme, the running back is key in picking up blitzers. Helu never improved in that department.
It is?

Morris and redd can't block either. Morris also fumbles a lot.

Depending on a running back for blocking screams lack of a line.

2 mil a year is a lot?

I do find it funny to see people ripping him for not blocking...can you name one running back we currently have who can block?

I do think being close to home helped...but I just don't see 2 mil being too much.

That just seems like a lot of money to me for Helu. We didn't really have any TE's or RB's last year who could block, so he didn't really fit Gruden's system. Just seems like Redd can duplicate Helu's skillset and won't cost $2m a year doing it.

Nick

That just seems like a lot of money to me for Helu. We didn't really have any TE's or RB's last year who could block, so he didn't really fit Gruden's system. Just seems like Redd can duplicate Helu's skillset and won't cost $2m a year doing it.

Nick
I can respect the money angle. I can argue it but money is never a clear cut "deserve" thing to me.

But wouldn't it be more valuable to have a better blocking tight end? that used to be the standard.

Relying on your back to pick up a blitzer is de rigueur in the NFL.
Unless your line and tight ends can block like on most teams and then your running back can roam.

I'm not trying to say helu didn't need to block better but this doesn't make any sense to me to let him walk if that's the main reason.

It's not that he need to block better...he needed to block better at key times. I think he lost us a game last year because the totally whiffed on a guy.
So we could have been 5-11?

Every player makes mistakes at key times. Desean hitting players and getting penalties, Breeland doing the same, Garcon doing the same, morris fumbling....etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.