• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Lewis Has Made A Difference

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
The Redskins have not become an offensive juggernaut. But Sherm Lewis has improved the performance of the offensive unit by looking to use ALL the resources at hand at RB, WR and TE and not limiting himself to the preconceptions that seemed to be such a large part of Zorn's view as to who deserved reps.

Quite plainly, Devin Thomas and Fred Davis look a lot more COMFORTABLE since Lewis arrived. Plays are being called that suit their skills and their success on the field has only reinforced in them a need to work harder.

Zorn didn't understand that basic dynamic - give a guy a taste of success or a ticket to the show and that goes a long way to providing the motivation to improve and overcome minor injuries and adversity.

Zorn looked at Thomas, Kelly, Davis and others in practice and decided because they didn't come in with the practice habits of Jerry Rice they weren't going to get on the field until they developed them.

I admit it is a chicken and egg argument. Old schoolers will argue guys have to earn playing time.

At the same time, one has to recognize with the lack of production on offense this team was suffering through the first 8 games, changes were necessary.

Lewis is smart enough to realize the only way to see if a guy has the instincts to make it in the NFL is to put the player in the game, in limited doses at first but in positions where his skills can be exhibited.

I remember what Jimmy Johnson said in Dallas when asked what he looks for i in a player and he responded:

"What does he do on the field?".............. :)

Yeah, the way it was handled was pretty ****ed up, but the results appear obvious.

I wonder how well we would be doing of Lewis knew the running plays and called them as well?

Zorn will call a couple plays from time to time and Sherman does running plays. Seems to me we would be better off having 1 person to call all the plays. This will develop a little more consistency and rhythm.

You can't hide in the NFL. Your record is there for everyone to see.

Lewis has instilled confidence in Thomas and Davis and now Campbell too is developing greater confidence.

That is what Zorn was originally hired to do but failed miserably at.

The conclusion from this seat is that Sherm Lewis is a far better offensive coordinator and tactician than Jim Zorn.

And that is backed up by the four Super Bowl rings he earned in SF and GB.

I agree. But why should it be a shock - it's like comparing Dan Quayle with Ronald Reagan :) There was no logical reason, sans a lick of experience, to believe that Jim Zorn could handle playcalling along with all of his other Head Coaching duties. It was a pipe dream from day 1. Compare that with a guy of Lewis' experience, it's no contest.

The shock shouldn't lie in the discovery that Lewis is superior in every way, but why Snyder and Cerrato believed Zorn was ready for these kinds of responsibilities in the first place.

Yeah, the way it was handled was pretty ****ed up, but the results appear obvious.

I think about the ONLY way it could have been properly handled AFTER bringing Lewis in was to fire Zorn. Keeping him around to look lost on the sidelines is painful to watch. Everytime the camera zooms in on him, he has a puzzled expression on his face. A great guy but a poor HC.

At least the team is extremely competetive and almost fun to watch the last few weeks but now I suffer a different kind of agony each and every week. Finding new ways to lose sucks but I guess it beats wondering if we're even going to get into the end zone.

I dunno. I was one of those people pretty annoyed with the ultra-conservative game plan in the 4th quarter against Dallas and Philadelphia. I think the way plays were called in those games helped cost Washington wins. [The allegedly great defense's inability to get a stop in the 4th quarter of both those games didn't help either.]

I give Lewis credit for realizing during the Saints game that he had a hot quarterback and he rode it to 30 [shoulda been 33] points. But is he responsible for the improved play from Devin Thomas and Fred Davis? I don't know about that? And is he responsible for the improved play of Levi Jones and Mike Williams and Stephon Heyer, who were all terrific last Sunday? If so, do we also blame Lewis for the fact that Jones and Heyer were awful against Philadelphia? Did the quality of the defense Washington faced have anything to do with it?

I'm far from convinced Lewis has improved the offense. Sometimes players just start to play better.

a guy may start to play better due to circumstances, but all of them in unison? :laugh:

Zorn was brought here to develop Campbell first and foremost and it seems to be finally happening to some degree without Zorn having his hands on the controls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.