• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Eagles Trade Rumors CSN

I would refuse to trade that pick with a team in our division.

Unless it was a huge haul of picks I am of the same opinion. Philthy has always been too frugal to give us what I would deem acceptable to help a pretty good head coach get a pretty big foothold in the division. I would take much less in this draft from most anyone else but in a team our division? Nah. They already setup shop in our stadium each and every year.

Different dynamics now.

Kelly won the power struggle and the front office vets moved on after last season.

It's not the same decision-making group we got used to over the past 5-7 years.

If we can rebuild on Philly picks so be it.

You know....if Mariota is there at 5....why not?

6'4", 4.5/40, smart, calm (ala Wilson)....if McL is down with this.....I'm happy!!!

I know, I know....limited pocket experience. so? again...if McL wants it......sounds good to me!

Agreed fan. Its been my philosophy for 8 years now, keep bringing in the best QB you can until you hit on one as a franchise . We are that desperate. I doubt he'll be there at 5, but if he is....how can anyone select another player without it being a reach, if Mariota is there? There would be three position players drafted before we are up, then who is #1 on our board that would justify passing on Mariota?

I would have no problem with this move.

I have been thinking about that the last week or so take him if he is there. Griffen hopefully does well enough to keep him on the bench for a year or 2 so he can learn the system. Long term thinking this is a no brainer. Fans will cry if he doesn't start instantly though

You have to manage the 53 man roster as the GM.

You can't get hung up putting all of your assets into one position.

Taking yet another quarterback with a top 5 pick would be a mistake given who is out there this year.

I go back to the mid-2000's where we spent a #5 pick on Sean Taylor in 2004 and then came back and took yet another safety in Laron Landry in 2007 with the #6 overall selection.

It was an awful lot of attention to the safety position to the detriment of others on this team where there were gaping holes.

Taylor was the real deal and we had Ryan Clark signed from the Giants who worked well with Sean.

There was no need to spend these assets on another safety. The team could have resigned Clark to a mid-size deal and used that #6 pick in 2007 on another player.

The bottom line imho with a top 10 pick is that you have to pick an absolute lock for success there. If you don't end up with, not just a bonafide starter, but an impact player, you blew the pick. That's why trading down more than a slot or two is very risky. You may trade yourself down to a position where there are no 'locks' you are 100% certain will be future stars. And drafting QB is a crap shoot in almost any draft year, but particularly so this year, since between character questions with Winston, and talent questions with Mariota, neither can be considered a lock to be a future star.

The bottom line imho with a top 10 pick is that you have to pick an absolute lock for success there. If you don't end up with, not just a bonafide starter, but an impact player, you blew the pick. That's why trading down more than a slot or two is very risky. You may trade yourself down to a position where there are no 'locks' you are 100% certain will be future stars. And drafting QB is a crap shoot in almost any draft year, but particularly so this year, since between character questions with Winston, and talent questions with Mariota, neither can be considered a lock to be a future star.

far as I can tell....on/off field...the only lock is Leonard Williams. as I posted...if McL is down with it.....ok by me!!!

Agreed fan. Its been my philosophy for 8 years now, keep bringing in the best QB you can until you hit on one as a franchise . We are that desperate. I doubt he'll be there at 5, but if he is....how can anyone select another player without it being a reach, if Mariota is there? There would be three position players drafted before we are up, then who is #1 on our board that would justify passing on Mariota?

I would have no problem with this move.

Thats working out awesome for the browns. Jus' sayin.

Many of the successful teams in this league enjoy lots of success by stockpiling solid players. My interpretation of the trade down scenario is that we can gain more than one solid player with a tradedown. Its still close to a 50-50 proposition that a 1st round player will bust. How much of this is on the personnel people? I dunno. But as the draft slot number get higher the bust potential should too right? Is this why teams out there seem to be picking in the 20-32 range every year and still have super talented squads? Teams like the Jets, Browns, Raiders, Jags, Bucs, etc have awful drafts.

I think staying away from the bust protoypes helps. One trick pony skinny pass rushers, small shifty fast wr, big fat lazy linemen, headcases, divas, qbs from non pro offenses, etc will help. I think that's the common factor in looking at some of these teams with better drafts.

nfldraftology408_1.jpg
http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology408_1.php

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a lock, when it comes to the draft.

Odds in your favor, is the best anyone can expect.

[/QUOTE]=Dead Money;284778]Thats working out awesome for the browns. Jus' sayin.

Skins virtually suck at drafting as do the Browns. They both employ the bring in a QB until you find the franchise guy. They are doing this because they suck at drafting, as do the Redskins. One is cause and effect, the other is not. I.e. we don't suck at drafting because of this method, but because we do a poor job of identifying talent, as do the browns. Therefore both teams are forced to bring in as many qb's as it takes and hope for the best.

BTW, it was the Browns that were trying to beat us to the second spot with a trade to take Griffin which required us to toss in another #1 into the mix. Remember? How'd that work out for the Skins? Jus sayin

Last edited:
Reer. Geeze Louise who pissed in your honey nut Cheerios? Oh well I guess I did. So you're a Mariota fan. check. I'm not. I think he becomes successful in the NFL under Chip Kelly or one of the better teams that can stash him, otherwise he will bust out and be a backup for his remaining years in the NFL however many they allow him. I think taking him at #5 is similar to the Browns taking Manziel.... Stupid and amateur move. We'll see who is right as time moves on.

As far as us both taking QBs... I guess them taking 1st rounders in 2007 2012 and 2014 = us trading the equivalent and then some for one of those. But then again, in between those draft picks they did draft a couple of stud OL and they were starting to form a pretty good defense at one point. I just don't see doing anything they have done except trying to build the rest of the team up before mortgaging the farm on another 50-50 draft pick worth copying.

Last edited:
I got a chuckle out of your "jus sayin". Never understood why we say that instead of just saying what you mean.

Now I see what your just sayin. ;-)

Taking yet another quarterback with a top 5 pick would be a mistake given who is out there this year.

I go back to the mid-2000's where we spent a #5 pick on Sean Taylor in 2004 and then came back and took yet another safety in Laron Landry in 2007 with the #6 overall selection.

It was an awful lot of attention to the safety position to the detriment of others on this team where there were gaping holes.

Taylor was the real deal and we had Ryan Clark signed from the Giants who worked well with Sean.

There was no need to spend these assets on another safety. The team could have resigned Clark to a mid-size deal and used that #6 pick in 2007 on another player.

ryan Clark was cut to make room for Adam (highlight reel/ punter bodyguard) after the 2005 season. If we had kept Clark we would not have had a reason to sign Landry.

This is is different signing marriatta of he is there looks like a smart move if Griffen doesn't pan out past this season we have insurance if he does we still have an excellant back up that can develop for a year or 2

Well, you don't take Mariotta or Winston unless you have a trade for Griffin.

Nothing more toxic than having Griffin here AFTER he finds out he is not the future but rather the past.

It is actually worse than that, BD. We had let Clark go the year before that when we signed Adam Archeletta in Free Agency. Archeletta bombed and we then spent another Top 10 pick on a Safety to replace him while saddling ourselves with a huge cap hit. I kind of view the whole Clark/Archeletta/Landry thing as an example of why this team is so bad. If we had just resigned Clark...

Edit: Redskins26 beat me to it...

we better not draft marriotta unless its to trade him. YOU DO NOT BUILD A TEAM QB FIRST, you build your lines, put supporting players in position, get that Oline gelling, then you add a QB when you have the other pieces in place. one would think some of you havent been paying attention since 1992

Well, that and the fact that Gruden has shown zero ability so far to grow/coach up any QB, much less a rookie.

we better not draft marriotta unless its to trade him. YOU DO NOT BUILD A TEAM QB FIRST, you build your lines, put supporting players in position, get that Oline gelling, then you add a QB when you have the other pieces in place. one would think some of you havent been paying attention since 1992

You mean like the Colts did w/Manning?

There's no golden rule for any of this. here's what I do know - if a once in a generation or even decade prospect comes along...you take the chance regardless of position.

We know McL said he's a BPA kinda guy. sure...he has a strategy for rebuilding the team....but top 5 pick? BPA baby!

Too many variables, and every situation is different.

Should the Colts have taken an O-lineman instead of Andrew Luck? Wouldn't that have been insane?

Should the Bucs reach for an O-lineman with the top pick, or take one of the QBs? Easy call, the QB again, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.