• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

John Keim: Redskins 2014 Offensive Line Rankings, Stats And Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only time will tell.

I do think it's pretty clear where our emphasis has been on FA. All defense so far.

Yes, I think we can all agree on that. What conclusions you can draw about the state of the existing roster are up for debate, however.

It must mean Scot reads PFT and believes our OL is awesome.

:munching_out:

As Goal alluded to but didn't say, this isn't a ONE YEAR rebuild. McLovin is going to get value/talent (as he assesses it). If it's not there, he's going to wait. Using our relative inactivity on the OL to date as evidence our OL is fine - honestly, I think that's a pretty weak argument.

I would lean more to his nature addressing other parts of the defense, to bring in levels of inexpensive depth, so we can have a lot of availability to go after Oline in the draft. That might not mean he goes in and picks up 6 O-lineman just because, but come draft day, if an O-lineman he wants is there, he's got the flexibility to draft him, while not having in-expendable contracts tie up in those positions.

A) Boone, I appreciate your keeping our focus (and our disparaging comments) directed at the arguments made, not on the person making the argument.

B) It is a perfectly reasonable and respectable argument to contend: here's some expert information suggesting, counterintuitively to some, and unreliably to some, but consistently with what our coaches have repeatedly said, that our OL, while not good, was actually mediocre rather than terrible, in comparison to other OL in the league. Moreover, if our OL is mediocre compared to the rest of the league, rather than terrible, that is actually highly relevant to how much emphasis we should place on OL in free agency and the draft. (Most notably, it suggests that to get our OL materially better, we'll have to expend a fair amount of money and/or valuable draft choices, because the average replacement-level player is not likely to result in a huge improvement.)

C) The fact that we had a 4-12 record has pretty much nothing to do with the relative blame to assign to the OL.

D) My personal opinion, from observation, is that our OL is not good, somewhere between mediocre and terrible. In particular, the OL seems terrible at protection on obvious passing downs/5-step drops. Also, Griffin is particularly bad at getting rid of the ball quickly in those situations, which meshes particularly problematically with the OL's weakness, and makes it very difficult for us to come back from a deficit, a need that comes up a lot given our general not goodness. That needs to be addressed, either through OL or QB.

E) Consistent with that overall assessment of OL as not very good but not a disaster, I think our LT is very good (shy of outstanding b/c of the injuries and the occasional lapses mixed with the usual dominance), C is good, LG and RG are not very good (below average), and RT is bad. That averages out to not very good, but not terrible.

F) We reached out for RTs in free agency, suggesting (consistent with what we all believe) that the staff believes that improvement is fully warranted there, but we didn't find anyone we wanted for a price we thought worth paying. The draft seems to have a few RT/guard types, at least one of whom might well be available early in the 2d round, and drafting one there would seem entirely warranted. (Or perhaps Scherff in the first round if we trade down.)

G) In general, though, I agree with the argument that OL is not our central and overriding concern, trumping our other many, notable weaknesses (most notably, the secondary). Reasonable people can disagree, but it's not by any means an untenable or bad faith contention.

I seriously cannot believe we are back here, again. I am not going to call anyone names, or suggest anyone is trolling, but I sure a shit am not going to sit back and let anyone...really only one person...suggest our OL is anything but bad. It is not!

The best way to help our defense is to put together an OL that can control the line of scrimmage. We have not had one since Gibbs II. If we aren't putting our defense back on the field 7 or 8 times in the 2nd half of football games, they are immediately better.

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world....SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD AND PENALIZE ANYONE WHO THROWS MEANINGLESS STATS AS PROOF OUR OL WAS ANYTHING BUT BAD!!!!!!! Or just ban me so I can take more time with the family and not have to deal with this nonsense ever again!

Quite a few dead horses are taking merciless beatings on this board. Surely some fancy new rumors will appear soon and we can waste our time debating their merits. And yes, I called you surely.

It's a dead zone in the off season. It's a message board. Expired equine abuse is inevitable.

I always find it funny that the only dead horses we have a problem with getting beaten on are the ones in other people's corrals :)

LMAO....

Here's a friendly suggestion. Maybe just not click on threads you don't like? Or does that require too much self control?

I'm not a huge fan of The Walking Dead, so I rarely venture into the TV Discussion Thread. Should we ban everyone in that thread?

Or, you can start your own thread on the O-line. Here's a possible title:

Our O-Line Sucks, I Don't Care What Any Analysts Believe! Why Don't The Analysts Listen To Me??

Yep...I can see how this goes down a fun road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.