• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

John Keim: Redskins 2014 Offensive Line Rankings, Stats And Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is clear is that most O-lines in the league are lacking. And by no means is ours the worst.

In addition, teams that have similiar or even worse O-lines than ours like Indy almost made the SB.

You keep pointing out that lots of OL's were as bad or worse than ours. I have to ask - SO WHAT? The majority of teams don't make the playoffs too. We don't want to be part of the group you are referencing. You are also relying almost exclusively on stats in your arguments. Stats do matter - obviously I'm not arguing they don't. But when you look at the OL, in live action against quality defenses, it's clear we are undersized, can't consistently protect, and breakdown in critical situations. It's also clear that our running game regressed last year. Pointing to rankings - it's not much different than pointing to NFL combine numbers instead of looking at game tape on players. Numbers don't always tell the story. The reason you get such aggressive responses as you continue to try and sell the notion that our OL has been fine is that it doesn't jibe with almost every game we watched the past 2 years, nor with 7 total wins during those years, where a primary factor in not being able to win was our QBs getting manhandled every other play.

I think we can all look at teams like Green Bay and Denver that don't have great offensive lines or even very good ones but allow few sacks because the passers on those teams are among the best in the game.

In Washington, we don't have that. We have young quarterbacks in Griffin and Cousins that need support to develop. Even if Griffin was 'doing all the things right' in terms of film study and developing his drop back and reads, we are talking about a guy that is probably 1-2 years away from being a 'very' productive pocket passer.

In those circumstances you can't expect the Redskins to 'get by' with a makeshift line of waiver wire pickups and undersized zone blocking players.

One of the big things here in Washington, is the line was incapable of blocking on short yardage and goal line plays which put even more pressure on the qb on key plays to extend drives and score points.

I am on board with moving down into the teens in the first round and selecting a RT or college tackle that projects to be a top echelon OG in the NFL to solidify the line.

Then use that extra pick or picks we get for the move down to then add a DL and a secondary player.

Our short yardage run game is awful. Thank Mike Shanahan for focusing on smaller, more athletic OL guys for that.

But don't assume correlation is always causation. There are a lot of things that go into a 4-12 record.

The Oakland Raiders gave up very few sacks last season. They finished 3-13, and will draft before us.

We can all acknowledge that every part of an NFL roster supports the other - but there is causation, you just believe it lies elsewhere. That's why I said, look at the great OL roster we have McD5. Tell me where our stalwarts and stars are on the OL. Williams is IT (and as someone else referenced, he has become inconsistent, undisciplined at times, and needs to step up his game as the only bonafide starter we have).

You can blame our declining ability to run the ball on the 'smallish OL' Shanahan put into place, but that defies logic as he managed to achieve the best running attack in the league with that approach. The only thing that significantly changed was your man-crush Gruden putting his scheme into place and calling plays.

You keep pointing out that lots of OL's were as bad or worse than ours. I have to ask - SO WHAT? The majority of teams don't make the playoffs too. We don't want to be part of the group you are referencing. You are also relying almost exclusively on stats in your arguments. Stats do matter - obviously I'm not arguing they don't. But when you look at the OL, in live action against quality defenses, it's clear we are undersized, can't consistently protect, and breakdown in critical situations. It's also clear that our running game regressed last year. Pointing to rankings - it's not much different than pointing to NFL combine numbers instead of looking at game tape on players. Numbers don't always tell the story. The reason you get such aggressive responses as you continue to try and sell the notion that our OL has been fine is that it doesn't jibe with almost every game we watched the past 2 years, nor with 7 total wins during those years, where a primary factor in not being able to win was our QBs getting manhandled every other play.

Our O-line isn't one of the best in the league. Nor is it one of the worst in the league.

Teams win divisions, even go to and win SBs with equal or lesser O-lines than we have right now.

I'm not saying our line is incredible. I'd love for them to be improved. But when compared to other teams, the great majority of which also need to be improved, it isn't as bad as our fans scream.

And the dead horse continues to get beaten! FFS, who cares about the other 20 teams who "May" have had worse offensive lines than we did? Our offensive line was terrible, comparing a bad unit to 20 other bad units doesn't matter! They're still bad units!!!

You want to see your defense improve, don't make them go back on the field 4-5 times in the 4th quarter and tell them to try to hold onto a narrow lead because you cannot hold a sustained drive when your offensive line cannot get a push for your RB to churn off anymore than 1 or 2 yards after getting hit in the backfield. Too many times over the course of time Shanahan put this OL together, we've had entirely too many leads evaporate because they've asked the defense, bad as it was, to get it done time and time again late in games because the offense could not chew time off the clock. We're talking about 5 possession changes in the 4th quarter of one game...often!

The entire defense gets better when we see long sustained drives that keep opposing offenses off the field. I mean FFS, if you're holding on to a narrow lead, you don't even need to score, just don't give the opposing team 4-5 chances. Even good defenses will not be able to stop a decent offense 4-5 times in the 4th quarter.

We NEED at least one high quality OL, whether it's paying for someone like Iupati, or drafting someone like Scherff and moving him to RT...we need at least one game changer on the opposite side of the ball from Trent who can carry the right side of our OL. Lavauo was a terrible acquisition ("But we addressed OL"), Morgan Moses looked like molasses on the field before getting hurt ("But we addressed OL"), Spencer Long never saw the field ("But we addressed the OL"). If the only OL acquisition you have who started regularly for you was a sub-par LG who got shoved around much of the year, then you have not properly addressed OL.

Our OL was bad, terrible, piss ****ing poor. I called McD5 a troll earlier in the thread and Boone said it was over the line. I have to question exactly what it is when one blathers on about a subject as if anyone actually agrees with that idea. I know how I define it.

Come on El - you have blathered as much as anyone on certain topics (like how you knew from the outset that Griffin would prove to be a failed pick :)) but no one called you a troll. What I see is, the more we vehemently disagree with a 'take', the more likely we are to see it as 'trolling'. What I don't like is members getting singled out and name-called because they have a contrarian view, whether it's McD5, tr1, or anyone else. That's what happens on *other sites* and if/when it happens to you, it doesn't feel like a 'community'.

Come on El - you have blathered as much as anyone on certain topics (like how you knew from the outset that Griffin would prove to be a failed pick :)) but no one called you a troll. What I see is, the more we vehemently disagree with a 'take', the more likely we are to see it as 'trolling'. What I don't like is members getting singled out and name-called because they have a contrarian view, whether it's McD5, tr1, or anyone else. That's what happens on *other sites* and if/when it happens to you, it doesn't feel like a 'community'.

And there have been a couple times in my life my friends have had to call me an asshole for me to understand...yup! I am an asshole. They were not restricted from calling me an asshole. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

Look, there are how many threads started, BY HIM, about this subject? Why not just add it to the 6 or 7 others. I started one thread about Griffin saying I told you so and you shut it down. Sure I have used different threads to show more and more evidence to support my claim about Griffin, but I have not started any news ones since the I told you so thread, 2 years ago. Looks like I am correct about Griffin, all evidence before us shows he is not correct in his assertions.

First of all, if guys like you or I had people calling them out by name in public, we would go the **** off. You know what McD5 does? Nothing. He doesn't cry, report posts, retaliate. He just takes it. The other point I'd make is that 90% of what he posts are citations from around the NFL. It's not 'his opinion', it's stuff being reported by 'professionals'. Giving him heat for something John Keim posts - that's fine I guess - but the bottom line is, John Keim wrote it, not McD5. I guess McD5 needs to run everything he posts through the filter of 'will BGO members like this?'?? You are fully capable of putting McD5 or anyone else you want on 'ignore'.

And you can try to cast your posts about Griffin in a more favorable light if you want. I have come around to agreeing with most of what you've said. But that doesn't change the fact that you've made your points over and over again, in a way that most members didn't respond favorably to. No one publically called you out and told you to shut the **** up, at least not that I recall.

The call outs need to stop guys. Moderators - if you see members specifically name calling an individual member or 'calling out' someone in a negative light (vs. addressing the content of their posts), I encourage you to maximize the use of the Infraction system, and/or issue temp bans. If anyone here prefers a site where you can publically call people an asshole and only have to read posts made that you agree with, hit the bricks. This place isn't for you.

I apologize to McD5 for having this conversation publically. I tried having it privately and apparently that wasn't sufficient.

It's funny how the one constant of our Glory Years was our Oline and ever since Father Time retired that great unit, this franchise has spent a lot of years doing it's damndest to never attempt to build one again.

And now, we have fans actually trying to diminish the importance of such a unit.

As bad as I hate them, look at the Dallas Cowboys and notice what happened with them when they stopped focusing on the shiny,skill position player and instead focused on the beef up front? It's no coincidence.
This aspect of team building, along with ownership, frustrate the hell out of me.

Dan Snyder says he's a life long fan. That he grew up in the Glory Years, Redskins belt buckle and all. While I never want an owner to evaluate or pick players, I do believe one of the things an owner should do is set a vision as to what he wants this team to be.
If any of us here were in that man's shoes, I have no doubt that we'd tell our GM to build us a physical team that could beat teams up on both sides of the ball....no finesse horse hockey. A team that can grind out yards in the 4th quarter in a torrential down pour.
The fact that in his entire tenure here, Dan Snyder has never successfully set and demanded that type of vision for this club, makes me have to question whether or not he even paid attention during those Super Bowl years and whether or not he has enough football IQ to understand the basic fundamentals of the game.
To watch what once was a strength now get pushed around like an abandoned cart in a SAMs Club parking lot, is sad and frustrating as hell....when you consider that it's not that hard to fix it.

/rant

Yeah, not trying to troll here.

You know what always struck me as a bad Redskins offensive line? Or may be it was just a crappy QB?

But I can recall Jeff George prior to the snap, literally looking at each defensive lineman to try and determine which guy was about to kick his ass and plant him into the ground.

Forget looking at the safeties to try and determine coverage, or the receivers in motion, that guy was all about self-preservation. Now THAT was a bad O-line.

And as Boone said, my beliefs about the O-line aren't just my own. Many analysts, reporters and coaches echo the same thoughts. That's why it strikes me as so strange when I see our fans go against what these others believe so strongly.

Finally, I think I've reported one post in ten years. And that wasn't even a complaint. It was more of "Wow, does this guy have serious anger issues or what?"

The mods and owners here have many better ways to spend their time than responding to reported posts all day, so I respect that.

I believe that when someone goes off on somebody that it usually says a lot more about the person who's going off.

Was it me? Lol..if so, the answer is yes ;)

But bringing up Jeff George is pretty flimsy, bud. The guy who would step out of bounds even if he needed just 1 yard in a potential game winning drive instead of possibly getting hit.

Was it me? Lol..if so, the answer is yes ;)

But bringing up Jeff George is pretty flimsy, bud. The guy who would step out of bounds even if he needed just 1 yard in a potential game winning drive instead of possibly getting hit.

No, it wasn't you.

I've got a lot more real serious crap in real life to be concerned about than what anyone could ever say to me on the internet.

And, I try not to let anyone piss me off. That would just steal 60 seconds of my time away. So I make sure to control that.

And yeah, George was a wimp. I can't ever recall seeing a QB stare at linemen like that before. It was sad and funny at the same time.

I try (sometimes fail) to keep the discussion along the lines of the content being discussed rather than the source.

This isn't the USA Today sports page where comments are regularly taken down because people use the 'N' word with each other or question their sexual orientation..................

Keim watches a lot of football. He talks to people in NFL organizations.

But when he brings up the example of Andrew Luck succeeding with a average to sub-average OL, that is clearly not an apt comparison.

Coming out of college Andrew Luck was 'NFL ready', he operated in a pro style offense at Stanford and comes from a family with a former NFL quarterback as his father. To a degree, he is like the Mannings.

Griffin came out of a gadget offense at a school where they put up dazzling numbers but no one ever seems to succeed big in the NFL. Art Briles is not in Jim Harbaugh's league as a coach.

Griffin and Luck have never been equals when it comes to a leg up in the NFL.

Griffin if he is going to succeed needs more help than Luck.

More individualized coaching (Matt Cavanaugh), better supporting cast (OL) and more patience from the organization.

It starts with Griffin but it doesn't end there.

First of all, if guys like you or I had people calling them out by name in public, we would go the **** off. You know what McD5 does? Nothing. He doesn't cry, report posts, retaliate. He just takes it. The other point I'd make is that 90% of what he posts are citations from around the NFL. It's not 'his opinion', it's stuff being reported by 'professionals'. Giving him heat for something John Keim posts - that's fine I guess - but the bottom line is, John Keim wrote it, not McD5. I guess McD5 needs to run everything he posts through the filter of 'will BGO members like this?'?? You are fully capable of putting McD5 or anyone else you want on 'ignore'.

It is his opinion and he's using skewered stats from unknowledgable "sports reporters" to support it.

And no, he doesn't cry...he just lobs grenades in the air and runs.

And you can try to cast your posts about Griffin in a more favorable light if you want. I have come around to agreeing with most of what you've said. But that doesn't change the fact that you've made your points over and over again, in a way that most members didn't respond favorably to. No one publically called you out and told you to shut the **** up, at least not that I recall.

Actually, I was excoriated by many members over the past 3 years suggesting RG3 will not be the savior of this team, especially after the one thread I created specifically to say, "I told you so!". They annihilated me, personally as well as the idea. You even gave me credit for taking the heat from so many.

As for the upstanding McD5...here's a quote from the original post.

I hope that the article below finally stops the "We have one of the worst O-Lines in the league" nonsense that plagued this site like a case of herpes last season. It was like bizarro world in here.

Does that ooze of the respectful dialogue he said he was looking for?

How is it bizarro world? He's really the only one on this site that believes the OL was not one of the worst out there. We are picking 5th in the draft! We sucked, and it was in large part because our OL was terrible!

Oh and the doozy, the idea about the OL being worst in the league is analogous to herpes? You don't consider that an attack. FFS man! Read between the lines! He's comparing those of us who truly saw a terrible OL to a case of herpes and me calling him a troll is out of line?

If that were the case you would not have said the idea of our OL being one of the worst was like a cases of herpes, inferring those of use who know how poor the OL live in bizarro world.

Nonsense!

He's never attacked anyone personally here Brian. But you have. Stop arguing with me. And stop talking about the posting styles of fellow members - it's not your role to moderate here. Any more posts about this and I'm going to give you a break. Don't reply on this topic again please.

c4245866ece0dfbbee2d932e5567915b.jpg

Just to lighten shit back up some....

You know what always struck me as a bad Redskins offensive line? Or may be it was just a crappy QB?

But I can recall Jeff George prior to the snap, literally looking at each defensive lineman to try and determine which guy was about to kick his ass and plant him into the ground.

Forget looking at the safeties to try and determine coverage, or the receivers in motion, that guy was all about self-preservation. Now THAT was a bad O-line.

And as Boone said, my beliefs about the O-line aren't just my own. Many analysts, reporters and coaches echo the same thoughts. That's why it strikes me as so strange when I see our fans go against what these others believe so strongly.

Finally, I think I've reported one post in ten years. And that wasn't even a complaint. It was more of "Wow, does this guy have serious anger issues or what?"

The mods and owners here have many better ways to spend their time than responding to reported posts all day, so I respect that.

I believe that when someone goes off on somebody that it usually says a lot more about the person who's going off.

McD5...I have followed your probes at the o-line issue with interest over the course of many mos. there are times when thoughtful ideas are presented. however, it is my belief that..aside from the constancy of it all, some folks react in unexpected forms for the same reasons I do:

1) the argument generally takes the form of random links; there is no argument...just randomly presented ideas...that you then reframe as evidence

2) a true framework for assessing o-line effectiveness has never really been presented; instead...the links and the data highlighted are often "cherry picked"; again, they don't add up to an end-to-end argument. which, IMO, is one reason there has been difficulty convincing a broad swath of the community

3) getting back to framework...which is where many of my questions arise......presenting a single statistic on...say....the Oakland Raiders record and sacks allowed...and advancing that as a supporting evidence is not solid argument IMO. countervailing stats can easily be found. again...cherry picking.

4) it's not a mystery that outcomes reflect multiple causes. a solid argument would begin with a description of what those interacting variables are, how they should be weighted, what the actual factors have been for our team. precisely because multiple factors are in play, it is likely the case that reasoning by analogy to other teams (on the basis of one or two stats) really is inappropriate. it certainly leaves a lot of maneuvering room for questioning any conclusions. I think there are openings for you to make a stronger case. but that has to be organized....not scattershot.

5) the argument you are trying to make - that the o-line isn't top flight but isn't the dregs either - is advanced in very ambiguous terms. I can't tell what you are arguing: it's not that bad; it's middle of the pack; teams can win w/mediocre lines/lose w/good lines; it needs some upgrades but nothing radical; it's considered a mid-tier o-line by the media; it's considered a mid-tier o-line by other NFL organizations; it has performed mid-tier over the last several years......what are you arguing? what standard/framework is the assessment based on?

6) it's not fair, but some do question the conclusions precisely because of previous posts in other areas (specifically Gruden) because Jay voiced exactly the same idea you have been advocating soon as he arrived. some may/are questioning objectivity. there is also the matter of other agendas...specifically QBs - I allow a lot of space here since we are all tapped into that discussion at various emotional levels.

7) There is no getting around what many of us have seen on the field over the course of several years. we have seen the pocket collapse quickly and often; we have seen guards easily bullrushed; we have seen the line physically handled at the line of scrimmage at first/second/third and goal more than once; we have seen complete breakdowns in pass blocking assignments....it's all been there. we have all seen it...over and over.

8) there is no getting around the symbolism of how we have drafted and pursued FAs over the last many years - they all demonstrate concern over the quality of the o-line both starting and depth. it's a priority for the upcoming draft - with the caveat that there is concern over quality/value of the pool relative to the position we are selecting from.

in the end, while it may be interesting to wonder how the o-line compares to other teams...I think that largely misses what we need to focus on:

- does the o-line accomplish what this team needs to succeed?

- is this o-line built in accordance with the offensive scheme/concept/vision?

- does this o-line have smart, talented athletes or not?

- how does the o-line compare relative to the defenses we play? has that unit been a core strength or not? is that unit capable at both run game and pass game?

It's good that you are presenting a pov that doesn't follow received opinion. supporting that opinion in a convincing fashion is the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.