• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Saying goodbye to a friend.

Docsandy

The Starter
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Most of you who attend chat during games know how much I'm attached to my now 17-18 year old dog, Taz. You also know he's been battling cancer. He's not in pain.. I wouldn't allow that, but he's reached a point where his quality of life has gone downhill so fast.. I've had to make "that decision"

So on Monday, February 16, Taz will be going to Rainbow Bridge to join Roxie (previous dog I had when I adopted Taz) and also be met by my husband and various other pets. I will be in Maryland for my yearly scifi convention anyway (which he'd be going to anyway) and I've always said I would want my vet in Maryland whom I've gone to for over 30 years before moving to WV. The decision has been hard with things going on with my sister (another major 5-hour leg bypass surgery... last attempt before she loses her leg). I had to make sure I was making the decision for the right reason. My vet in Maryland said to me: Sandy, I've known you too long, you'd never make a decision such as this just because you life may be easier. The toughest part is that once I made the decision I had 2 weeks to go through a roller coaster of emotions including second thoughs, tearfulness, times of not being able to bring forth any emotion at all. But the worst part now is that time waiting... but while some people may say once you make the decision, do it; I want my vet to do it. One of my main concerns, since the tumor pokes out and is large, he keeps licking it and if it should ulcerate and rupture, it then becomes an emergency situation, and I'd have a strange vet doing what I wanted my Maryland vet to do all along.

Prayers for Taz please, good thoughts for me... and know the next two weeks the last thing that is going to be on my mind is the Redskins (which I can honestly say is probably the first time I'll have gone that long without thinking Redskins)... (though I do wear burgundy and gold at the con, our official shirt is burgundy and I wear a gold turtle neck with it ::grin::).

On Monday I'll be saying goodbye... but Taz... I just need him to know I'm doing this because I love him, not because he's any sort of inconvenience or whatever.

Thanks in advance for reading.

taz2.jpgready for football 02.jpg

He looks like a sweetie. I suspect most if not all of us have been there. Saying goodbye to a friend is tough. I am sure you have given him a great life. Good thoughts your way, no doubt you are doing the right thing.

DS, fwiw I'd say he definitely knows how loved he is through the compassion you've shown him. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was say goodbye to a pet & best friend. Thoughts and prayers to you in this tough time.

Thanks all. It's so tough. And I still have a little under a week :(

Sandy,

Taz is beautiful.

Positive thoughts being sent your way.

Ugh, I know how devastating this can be. I had a cat named Tiger (I know, super original) for 11 years who I absolutely adored. He was the most amazing thing to me and his personality was just awesome.

He just went somewhere and died... it was crazy because he showed no signs of sickness or anything. He was healthy and I thought for sure he'd at least hit the average 15-16 most cats do. Just came out of nowhere. But it was fitting for him. Such a good boy, so disciplined and never a bother, he died in the same way (not saying Taz was a bother to you, of course).

I refuse to get another pet. Hurts too much, honestly. Sorry about your loss, but we know the reason it hurts is because of how much of a blessing they were in the first place.

God bless you, Sandy. Welcome home after the long drive. We're here for you.

It was a tough drive home. Snow and ice in the mountains, had to stop for the night a little than an hour away from home. Got home to a VERY empty house. Taz had a good last weekend.. he got to meet our guests and have pictures taken, one is below.. of him, me and Colin Ferguson (Haven and Eureka and "The Maytag Man")... Got up late for work and first thing I thought was "geesh, I'm late, gotta take Taz out and feed him..." then reality dawned. Probably not going to be a good first week back to work :( Thank you everyone for your expressions of sympathy and support. It has not gone unnoticed.

tazcolin.jpg

Sorry to hear the loss of your friend doc, positive thoughts sent your way.

Thanks Win...

And for those of you who may not recognize the third guy in the picture.. if you don't watch Haven or Eureka (Colin Ferguson), perhaps you know the new "Maytag Man?. He was a wonderful guest.

Well, if you want a real tearjerker (and while this focuses on Taz, it would apply to anyone who has lost any loved one, 2-legged or 4-legged), take a look at the slide show my niece did for my facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204913678514909&pnref=story

At first I didn't listen to the music, that was bad enough, but then I listened to the music and made the mistake of doing it while at work. Sigh.

I miss my "bed buddy" :( This is tougher than I thought it would be (and I KNEW it would be tough)

Sorry I'm just seeing this...and very sorry for your loss.

I've been there, 4 times with kitties, and we rescued 3 on the day we had to let our last go...we just couldn't go back to an empty home...they were a true blessing, and I think they were sent just for us at that moment.

I work at a doggy daycare, and have taken care of dogs with owners who should have taken our path, even though we hated to.

I hope things are getting just a little easier, and if you need to chat, I'm only a PM away.

Hail to Taz!

Diamond,

Thanks for your words. My heart still aches. The only reason I cannot get another pet right now to at least partially fill the void is that I'm taking care of a disabled sister and I don't have the time commitment involved in another dog (don't get me wrong, nothing against kitties, but I'm a dog person :) ). I don't think it's fair to a dog to have one, but then not be able to give it the love, attention, care, exercise, etc., that it needs. Taz is gone. He's in my heart I know. I hope he knows what I did was for him, not for me -- that's for sure. I still cry sometimes while in bed, but I try not to let my family here see it. They probably think it's been long enough not to hurt as bad, but it does. I can't help it. It simply does and I have no control over that.

I totally understand that. I cry for all I lost years ago daily...they were soooo beautiful. They never leave our hearts, no matter how long they're gone.
My kitty RG (a female that walks like a dude, lol) is the embodiment of all my 3 boys...a little Boots, a little Vai, and a little Guinness...somehow she has traits of all 3.

What's even tougher now is that my brother and his wife had to make the toughest decision I believe a parent has to make, to take their daughter off of life support. She died a short 15 minutes later. her funeral was 2 weeks ago. I having a hard time dealing with all the loss and sadness that has hit our family so far in 2015... I just want 2015 to end now. Can it?

Picture of my niece (guess what team SHE rooted for :)):

Attachments

• 1545612_776080512488087_8969978213221865234_n.jpg
    1545612_776080512488087_8969978213221865234_n.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 79
So sorry again.
I pray for a break to come your way.

Beautiful girl, her way in heaven is paved in burgundy & gold. She is one of our angels, He said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.