• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Name Robb Akey DL Coach

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
February 2, 2015

REDSKINS NAME ROBB AKEY AS DEFENSIVE LINE COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Robb Akey as Defensive Line Coach.

Akey joins the Redskins with 26 years of coaching experience. Last year, he served as the assistant defensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings, helping defensive end Everson Griffin finish fourth in the NFC and second among NFC defensive linemen in sacks (12.0). His background includes 25 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level, including serving as head coach at the University of Idaho for six seasons from 2007-12. He led the Vandals to their second bowl game in school history in 2009.

Akey spent eight seasons at Washington State, where he mentored the defensive line from 1999-2002 and served as the team’s defensive coordinator from 2003-06. While coaching the Cougars, Akey led defensive tackle Rien Long to the Outland Trophy, given annually to the nation’s top interior lineman, in 2002. That season, Akey helped the Washington State defense set a school record for sacks with 55.

Akey’s coaching career started in 1988 at his alma mater, Weber State. He coached seven seasons at Weber State in various roles from 1988-94 before coaching at Northern Arizona from 1995-98. He played tight end, outside linebacker and defensive end during his four-year career at Weber State, finishing his career as the school leader in sacks and earning All-Big Sky first team honors as a senior in 1987.

Akey attended Wasson H.S. in Colorado Springs, Colo. He and wife, Molly, have two sons, Jack and Daniel.

AKEY FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2014: Assistant Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings
2007-12: Head Coach, Idaho
2003-06: Defensive Coordinator, Washington State
1999-2002: Defensive Line Coach, Washington State
1996-98: Defensive Coordinator, Northern Arizona
1995: Special Teams/Linebackers Coach, Northern Arizona
1989-94: Special Teams/Defensive Line Coach, Weber State
1988: Assistant Defensive Line Coach, Weber State
1984-87: Tight End/Linebacker/Defensive End, Weber State

1 year NFL experience?!!!

okaaaaaaay. he's another one of those "super smart" guys I guess!!!!

Still waiting for the "Jack" and "Daniel" comments.

Keim
Akey was Washington State's defensive coordinator from 2003-06 after serving the previous four years as the Huskies' defensive line coach. If this video is indicative of Akey's demeanor, he's a rather intense, passionate coach

Like the WWE meets a crazy used car salesman!

A bit more bio info about Akey-more details about his accomplishments and an insight about how he wound up with the Vikings from the Vikings team site.

"

Joins the Vikings as the club’s Assistant Defensive Line Coach, enters his 1st season in the NFL in 2014 after serving at the collegiate level for 24 years.
Akey was the Head Coach at the University of Idaho from 2007-12 where he led the Vandals to their 2nd bowl game in school history in 2009.
Akey spent 8 seasons at Washington State where he mentored the defensive line from 1999-2002 and was the Defensive Coordinator from 2003-06.
In 2003, Akey’s Washington State defense led the nation in takeaways with 48 in addition to finishing 5th in pass efficiency defense and 6th in rush defense.
In 1988, Akey received his 1st coaching job, under Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer, who was the Defensive Coordinator at his alma mater, Weber State.
As a player, Akey was coached by Zimmer, who served as Weber State’s Defensive Coordinator throughout his entire playing career. He played TE, OLB and DE during his 4-year career.

Akey finished his career as the Wildcat leader in sacks and was named All-Big Sky 1st team as a senior in 1987 as well as honorable mention All-American honors."

Link: Minnesota Vikings: Robb Akey

Just a matter of time before someone breaks in with a Billy Ray Cyrus meme.

Not much about this hire does anything to excite me...Barry and this guy? I just hope our offense is the focus of the draft across the board so we can score 30 points a game. Because talent or not, this group of coaches does about as much for me as the Haslett hire did...not too excited about it.

I like it. This may be the closest thing to a Zimmer clone without getting Zimmer himself.

I like it. This may be the closest thing to a Zimmer clone without getting Zimmer himself.

How you figure that? i.e., what criteria? Zimmer has coached for 10 years in the NFL including on a SB winning team.

not seeing the parallels here other than that Akey's one NFL season was served working for Zimmer.

seems to me Gruden's priority is rah rah guys for the defense. that's cool. it's his staff to sink or swim with.

How you figure that? i.e., what criteria? Zimmer has coached for 10 years in the NFL including on a SB winning team.

not seeing the parallels here other than that Akey's one NFL season was served working for Zimmer.

seems to me Gruden's priority is rah rah guys for the defense. that's cool. it's his staff to sink or swim with.

Read the biography above.

He played for Zimmer for four years. Was given his first coaching position by Zimmer years ago.

And then coached for Zimmer's defense last season.

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that he knows Zimmer's defense, how he runs practice, etc...

It doesn't make him Zimmer - I think the issue is more hiring of coaches unproven at the NFL level (or those without dazzling success to date). Doesn't mean he won't be great, but there's not a lot of evidence this guy is a great hire at the NFL level.

He qualifies as a bit of an unknown but Barry worked with him before and you have to give him one or two close hires.

He kept Olivadotti and brought Perry Fewell in as backfield coach.

Right now you have to figure the team is going to go younger on the DL with draft picks and UDFAs and this guy is probably pretty good at coaching the fundamentals having been in the college ranks so long.

We had a guy in Burney that won rings with Shanahan and had 20 years of NFL experience but I didn't see a lot of improvement out of Jenkins, Baker, etc.

Seems like these guys hit a plateau early on in their careers here and were not challenged to do more.

Read the biography above.

He played for Zimmer for four years. Was given his first coaching position by Zimmer years ago.

And then coached for Zimmer's defense last season.

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that he knows Zimmer's defense, how he runs practice, etc...

not sure that means all that much McD. look at all the Billicheat assistants who went on to be major failures. success by association? guess we'll see.

Yes, but Bellichick's assistants were failures as head coaches not as coordinators.

AKey is not being promoted or asked to do something he has not done before.

This is a lateral move, I think Barry should have a very good idea of what he is getting in this hire.

Yes, but Bellichick's assistants were failures as head coaches not as coordinators.

AKey is not being promoted or asked to do something he has not done before.

This is a lateral move, I think Barry should have a very good idea of what he is getting in this hire.

ok...then...if we're sticking with the analogy......guess we can expect great things by osmosis given one year in the NFL as a d-line coach!!!

I hope McL finds the talent Bill Ray needs to take that one year and translate it to the greatness we all know is just around the corner!

man o man...a lot of us are pinning all our hopes on McL!!!!!!

man o man...a lot of us are pinning all our hopes on McL!!!!!!
No Sir.

I'm on my 3rd owner, 12th GM, 16th head coach, hundreds of assistant coaches, and thousands of players.

My hopes are for my team. Regardless of the personnel.

If Mr. McGloo doesn't work out, we'll try another, and keep on going.

But you're not a typical Redskins fan Ax. Fansince is exactly right, people are pinning enormous hopes that McCloughan is capable of working miracles with this franchise. The expectations are probably completely unfair, but those are the expectations. Most fans are desperate for some sustained success and I think a lot of folks have lost whatever patience they had.

For only $19.95*, I will share with you, my secret, to The Undying Enthusiastically Optimistic Hope For Successful Seasons In The Face Of Despair. :smile-new:

Limit 1 per household.

*Based on a minimum of 10,000 orders. Add $1 for every order short of 10,000.

EDIT: "Fansince is a pimp!"

Ax...there used to be guys like you back in the day when the wild west was the Wild West!

EDIT: "I believe they sold medicinal fluids"!!!!

you still da man bro!!!! no one draws a smile to my fanface like you do!

But you're not a typical Redskins fan Ax. Fansince is exactly right, people are pinning enormous hopes that McCloughan is capable of working miracles with this franchise. The expectations are probably completely unfair, but those are the expectations. Most fans are desperate for some sustained success and I think a lot of folks have lost whatever patience they had.

Not sure I lost patience, just hope. Like I mentioned about mid-way through the season, I was desperate they would bring in a personnel guy with some previous success in the NFL. I even hoped beyond hope, never actually thinking it was possible, that it would be McCloughan.

You remember how I felt after we actually did hire him? Hasn't disappeared, I am still as skeptical about success here in Washington as one can be with Dan Snyder running things. I am not going to beat him up, like some. I simply have no faith that he truly understands how to run a successful football team in the NFL. If he did, Bruce Allen would have been shown the door as well as every single other person in the organization that has anything to do with the creation of a winning football team.

I would have fired Gruden and every single coach on the team. I would have fired every single person involved with football operations and let McCloughan have a blank slate.

I don't believe he has much pressure on him, I truly believe the structure of things is a remedy to see one of the best player personnel guys in the league, fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.