• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Name Robb Akey DL Coach

Well, as previously mentioned, you deserve max props for calling for Scot McCloughan, when few Redskins fans even knew who he was. I hate your last sentence, because I view it as total BS. McCloughan has total control. If he doesn't, it's his own damn fault. But operating under the assumption that he does have total control, success or failure is all on him.

If he fails, it's because he isn't the genius Redskins fans have made him out to be. It's not because of Dan Snyder.

Im still seeing us with much improved play next season along with an improved record. By the 2nd half the makings of our new D will turn the mob into a Thunder Dome atmosphere. Season after that we start beating the shit out of teams!

Well, as previously mentioned, you deserve max props for calling for Scot McCloughan, when few Redskins fans even knew who he was. I hate your last sentence, because I view it as total BS. McCloughan has total control. If he doesn't, it's his own damn fault. But operating under the assumption that he does have total control, success or failure is all on him.

If he fails, it's because he isn't the genius Redskins fans have made him out to be. It's not because of Dan Snyder.
Past history suggests otherwise. If he suceeded wildly at SF and SEA but fails here, especially given our organization's track record, not sure how Scot bears all blame.

Past history suggests otherwise. If he suceeded wildly at SF and SEA but fails here, especially given our organization's track record, not sure how Scot bears all blame.

Unless you are suggesting he doesn't have full control, he's absolutely 100% responsible for success or failure. Are you suggesting he doesn't have full control? I don't like Dan Snyder, but ultimately that doesn't mean I give a pass to a football GM with full control.

He didn't 'succeed wildly' at those other places, the franchises did. We're going to find out if he was the key ingredient in that success or not, or whether it was due to a lot of other factors.

Unless you are suggesting he doesn't have full control, he's absolutely 100% responsible for success or failure. Are you suggesting he doesn't have full control? I don't like Dan Snyder, but ultimately that doesn't mean I give a pass to a football GM with full control.

He didn't 'succeed wildly' at those other places, the franchises did. We're going to find out if he was the key ingredient in that success or not, or whether it was due to a lot of other factors.

And I am saying it is the variables in our organization that could cause him to fail here. They hire one of the best minds in football today to acquire personnel, but then they go and hire a defensive coordinator like Joe "What have you done lately" Barry. I don't think hiring him was so bad, but the way it all went down, Barry hired, Fangio hired, Barry hired. That stinks of Dan Snyder/Bruce Allen bullshit. It took all of one year for Shanahan to leave for me to see that Snyder and Allen were more involved in Shanny's tenure than we thought. I would bet you dollars to donuts the Griffin trade fiasco was orchetrated by them and Shanahan went along for the ride.

Anyway, I am getting off into a tangient that many will try to disprove. My point is, I do not trust Snyder, I do not trust Allen anymore. If this organization is going to win with Scot McCloughan assembling the team, he should have been given a fresh, clean slate. They should have cleaned house from Allen down to McVay and everyone in between. They way Haslett was fired and Barry hired stinks to high heaven...doesn't resemble anything I read about McCloughan when he was in Seattle or San Fran.

here's another blunder that Tony Wilie or Bruce Allen or Dan Snyder can feel confident they chose the correct path on...what in the world were they doing with their promos for next year? Griffin excluded? I don't like him, but he is still your number one draw. Instead you highlight the Joe Barry hire? Did they read what the fans were saying about the hiring of Ole' Joe? And if Griffin isn't in your plans for next year, what sort of leverage are you going to have in trade negotiations? Just more of the same...and you think McCloughan really has full control?

Griffin was benched last season for poor play, you really can't put him up there with the other players mentioned that had pro bowl caliber campaigns.

I would agree though the smart move would have been not to single any players out. The team was 4-12 and 7-25 over the past two years.

Full control is harder to define that at first glance, imo. Seems easy, but I don't think it is. Brian stated the case very well, I won't regurgitate his points, but I am in full agreement with him. Clean slate was the way to go, and per usual, Danny blew an opportunity. Bruce, at this point, is Vinny 2.0.

I guarantee you, if McLovin had come in and said 'we need to clear out the entire coaching staff', Snyder would've made it happen. I don't love our coaching staff - but I believe McLovin has the authority to clean house if/when he feels the need. And so, if 5 years from now, this team isn't strong and flourishing, McLovin will have the most responsibility for that.

As for the 'variables that could cause him to fail...', lets stop pretending that it's only the Redskins that have factors that make winning hard, that make bad decisions, or who hire people who don't pan out. That pretty much describes the NFL except for a handful of teams. There are a lot of variables working against any team, not just in DC. And wasn't the whole point in hiring McLovin to bring in a guy who knows how to overcome those variables, find the right mix of players and coaches, and turn the franchise around?

So if he can't do it, yeah, I'm going to put most of it on him.

Most of it is fine. No one is hoping more than me that he can turn things around, but I am in the wait and see mode. I think the guy has an eye for talent, but as I've been saying for a while, we need leadership AND an eye for talent. Bruce ain't getting it done in the first department, and is clearly lacking in the second. Not sure why he is still employed at this point, other than Danny likes having a yes-man around. We won seven games over the past two years. Clean house. EVERYONE. Start over and let Scot pick his staff. I think it will happen this time next year anyways, but keeping Bruce around, particularly in a position of authority over Scot makes me nervous.

Talent acquisition alone isn't going to turn this ship of suckitude around, I fear.

I don't disagree with any of those points Goal. What I disagree with is the idea already being floated that if McLovin can't turn it around, it's all Snyder's fault. Unless Snyder interferes with or limits his control, there are no excuses. I'm skeptical McLovin is the savior a lot of fans want to believe he is. But I hope he is everything some think he is and more.

McLovin better at talent evaluation than Vinny?

His track record says yes.

Better than Bruce, Scott Campbell or Marty? You'd have to say yes, IMO.

The only thing that worries me about McLovin? That Dan and this fanbase will have enough patience to let him do his job.

I say that because it would not surprise me one bit to see fans call for his head six games into next season...cause that's just who the fanbase is now,for the most part, today.

You're not open to any other possibility - so discussing anything with you is a waste of time tr1. I don't know contractually who has what authority. It's an odd arrangement from the word go. I would've greatly preferred Allen being gone, with only McLovin at the top and in total control. I believe he has defacto decision-making authority, and that if he goes to Bruce and says 'Gruden is not the guy', that that will be all it takes. You don't bring in a guy with McLovin's credentials and name him General Manager just to find gems in the draft. He's GM, not head of scouting.

for my own part...it didn't escape my notice that the first thing McL did was....get to work! circumstances may have forced it with the draft.....but two ducks are now lined up: someone who has succeeded in the past in a major way....this person getting to business right off the bat for the Redskins. results, of course, are all that count. but at least, in a limited amount of time, it's already an improvement over GM Allen hiring folks for part-time work/advice vice full time expertise on behalf of the team!

Has nothing to do with facing facts, we're all aware of them.

All can interpret and face them anyway they wish and post their 'findings' at will.

Some however, just cannot get over themselves and feel the need to incessantly post the same stuff, each little new 'fact' they feel fits their position starts a new cycle of.... the same stuff.

It's tedious to the point of being 'laughable' in it's own right

Oh come on. Tr1 is entitled to his opinion and frankly it starts to make more sense by the day.

We've been a shitty franchise for too long under Snyder. It gets harder and harder to pretend otherwise.

It's funny that multiple people say the same thing that don't even know each other but you're telling us to stop

I'm not telling anyone to stop, that's kind of my point. As tiring as you find the negativity, others feel the same way about the eternal optimists. Both are, imo, entitled to their worldviews. I see merits of both sides and COMPLETELY understand why folks feel the way they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.