• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shaun Suisham

What makes me the most frustrated with the Redskins is that coming off the worst season among kickers in the NFC in 2008, the only competition Suisham faced in 2009 was Dave Rayner, a journeyman who had no real resume as a regular kicker in the NFL.

You would figure if the team took special teams seriously they would have brought in more legitimate and veteran competition.

I don't understand it either. The team clearly wanted to replace Suisham in the off-season and that's who they brought in to do it? Thanks again Vinny.

Special Teams play is no joke, especially with a team like ours who figured to be in a lot of close games. We don't need to go out like we did a couple of years back and waste a draft pick on a kicker. We need to get a good established vet to come in and solidify the position, not some re-tread or never-was from another team. I can’t believe there weren’t better options available in the off-season. Choking on a 55 yarder is one thing but from 23? Inexcusable.

Chip Lohmiller was a second round draft pick

Point taken. Still, Chip was added to a team that was complete otherwise. They won the Super Bowl the previous year and honestly didn't need much. We're not in the position to do that.

It would be nice to draft a guy and have him be our guy for the next 10 years but it's such a crap shoot with kickers coming from college. Some can make the transition and some can't. I'd rather just pay a guy we know can get it done at that position. If a developing DE misses a tackle he has 10 other guys to help make up the slack. A kicker doesn't have that luxury.

Here was the list of UFA kickers at at the end of last season:

Rob Bironas, John Carney, Jay Feely, Shayne Graham, Jason Hanson, Mike Nugent, Matt Stover

We were dumb not to upgrade.

Shawn Suisham missed a kick that cost us a game?
Gee what a shock. Who would have ever thought this could happen?
Oh, that's right, pretty much everyone in America except Vinny and Zorn.

He missed ten kicks last year and we barely made an effort to replace him.

We got what we asked for.

~Bang

Last edited:
Can we get a "Run danny, vinny and the kicker out of town" cartoon? ;)

He missed ten kicks last year and we barely made an effort to replace him.

We got what we asked for.

~Bang

Shaun Suisham, IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS! He IS who we THOUGHT HE WAS!

Zorn has come out since his post game interview and said that the kick was on Suisham and not Albright's snap (yes, it was high but Smith got it down) or Smith's hold.

ESPN reported on the Monday Night Countdown pre-game show that the Skins will be trying out kickers tomorrow in Ashburn...

Jason LaCanfora reports the Skins will work out 4 kickers tomorrow: Nick Novak, Shane Andrus, Graham Gano and Mike Nugent. Novak has some experience with game-winning/pressure kicks, and Nugent has some pro-experience. Gano was drafted, I believe...but don't know how much he played.

Jason LaCanfora reports the Skins will work out 4 kickers tomorrow: Nick Novak, Shane Andrus, Graham Gano and Mike Nugent. Novak has some experience with game-winning/pressure kicks, and Nugent has some pro-experience. Gano was drafted, I believe...but don't know how much he played.

I believe Gano was in Raven's camp this year.

Nugent was a 2nd-round pick, if I'm not mistaken, out of Ohio State. Gano was a UDFA of the Ravens, and we all know Novak. Shane Andrus is the only one I've never heard of.

Since only about 50,000 people are showing up per game, he should have no trouble getting tickets to get in

Not surprised about Suisham and I totally understand the move, but before we get too carried away with bashing the guy, just remember if he wasn't perfect early this season we wouldn't have won against the Rams or the Bucs, and we could have had a similar Saints moment against the Broncos. Early in the season he was pretty much the only member of the team, on offense at least, that did his job.

We have a team full of Suishams. Guys that show up for half a season, or who fold under pressure. It's easy to cut a kicker, but this team ... as a team ... is just a frustrating to watch as that 23 yarder sailing off to the right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.