• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Matt Cavanaugh QB's Coach

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 28, 2015

REDSKINS NAME MATT CAVANAUGH AS QUARTERBACKS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Matt Cavanaugh as Quarterbacks Coach.

Cavanaugh joins the Redskins with 22 seasons of coaching experience across the professional and collegiate levels. The 2015 season will mark the 32nd NFL season of Cavanaugh’s career, including 14 combined seasons as a quarterback for the New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants from 1978-91 and 17 seasons as an NFL coach.

Cavanaugh most recently served as quarterbacks coach of the Chicago Bears from 2013-14. In 2013, under Cavanaugh’s tutelage, Chicago’s quarterbacks set single-season team records in passer rating (96.9), passing yards (4,450), passing touchdowns (32) and completion percentage (64.4). Prior to joining the Bears, Cavanaugh spent 2009-12 coaching quarterbacks for the New York Jets, guiding the team to two AFC Championship game appearances.

Cavanaugh’s background includes stints as an offensive coordinator with the Bears (1997-98), Baltimore Ravens (1999-2004) and University of Pittsburgh (2005-08). His tenure in Baltimore included a 34-7 victory over the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV.

Cavanaugh won two Super Bowl titles as a backup quarterback with the Giants (Super Bowl XXV) and 49ers (Super Bowl XIX). He was a second-round selection (50th overall) of the Patriots in 1978 NFL Draft, appearing in 112 career regular season contests with 19 starts and completing 305-of-579 passes for 4,332 yards and 28 touchdowns.

As a collegiate quarterback, Cavanaugh guided Pitt to the 1976 National Championship and was named the Sugar Bowl MVP after a 27-3 victory over Georgia. A year later, he earned All-America honors as a senior in 1977.

A native of Youngstown, Ohio, Cavanaugh attended Chaney H.S. He is married to his wife, Maria, and is the father of three children: Amy, Andrew and Mollie.

CAVANAUGH FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2013-14: Quarterbacks Coach, Chicago Bears
2009-12: Quarterbacks Coach, New York Jets
2005-08: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach, University of Pittsburgh
1999-2004: Offensive Coordinator, Baltimore Ravens
1997-98: Offensive Coordinator, Chicago Bears
1996: Quarterbacks Coach, San Francisco 49ers
1994-95: Quarterbacks Coach, Arizona Cardinals
1993: Tight Ends Coach, University of Pittsburgh
1990-91: Quarterback, New York Giants
1986-89: Quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles
1983-85: Quarterback, San Francisco 49ers
1978-82: Quarterback, New England Patriots
1974-77: Quarterback, University of Pittsburgh

As with Bill Callahan, this is another home run!

Matt Cavanaugh resurrected Josh McNown's career and made him look good enough to get a starting gig in Tampa.

This is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I am not unhappy with this hire.

As with Bill Callahan, this is another home run!

Matt Cavanaugh resurrected Josh McNown's career and made him look good enough to get a starting gig in Tampa.

This is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Thank you for posting this. I looked at that list and saw nothing but crappy QB performances. But this is a reminder how he had McCown looking like a all-pro.

This is a good sign that A) Gruden learned quickly about having too much on his plate, or B) McLovin is in Grudens ear telling him what he needs to do to succeed.... Maybe both... who knows, but I like the hire either way.

no real feelings one way or another.

more or less w/Boone at this point.....show me on the field.

Mark Sanchez had his best years under this guy, so who knows. Certainly a plus having McCown's 2013 performance under his belt, but nothing to write home about overall in terms of resume. Either way, hiring a QB coach was something on everyone's list and it shows Gruden is self-aware enough to realize what needs to be done. Very good.

... more trinkets, the 'he played the position' sounds a lot like what we heard last year 'cept with a NFL tag this time

The learning never ends, so it’s not as if Mark Brunell had thought he had it all figured out this deep into his career.

It wasn’t just the footwork or constant reminders of the fundamentals. Matt Cavanaugh provided Brunell, and the other New York Jets quarterbacks, plenty of that as a coach. It was also the ability to relate, having played the position in the NFL; the ability to understand pressure and expectations. And the ability to serve as a sounding board, hearing complaints a player might be afraid to issue to others.

That, for Brunell, is the beauty of Cavanaugh, whom the Washington Redskins hired to be their quarterbacks coach Wednesday. This is about off the field as well as on. Cavanaugh played in the NFL for 14 seasons, mostly as a backup (he started 19 games). He’s been an NFL coach for 17 seasons, including four stints where he’s been in charge of quarterbacks.

Check out Keim for more

He has a proven track record of coaching quarterbacks to be better than what they have before. I'm not sure that's a trinket but a good resume.

National championship and two super bowl rings. For a guy that started 19 games in 14 years in the NFL, he's got a lot of hardware 👑

This ought to be very interesting. Pocket passing guru teaching a pocket passing wannabe. If Griffin will listen and follow his techniques, he will improve, no doubt. How Matt's instructions fit in with the offensive coordinator game plan is my question. Gruden's plan that incorporated three different QB's didn't exactly work out very well. There's much adjustment to be made from both the coach (Gruden) and the player. Hope they will be on the same page in 2015 so we don't have to play musical QB's.

Well, 2015 is the last chance for Griffin and Cousins here so we might as well be all in before giving up on them.

This AM on WTEM Dick Vermeil said he liked Cousins and thought 'giving up on him' after 10-12 career starts was somewhat silly.

Said the same philosophy would have had him dealing Jaworski out of Philly prematurely.

I think the thing with Cousins, is that he's living up to his pre-draft assessment. Good in spurts. Knack for most inopportune turnovers. Blinded by the spotlight.

But you're right BT, 2015 should be the year to either get one of them to take the bull by the horns, or send both of them packing.

Griffin comes out with one of his best years ever in his history of playing football.

Mark it down

Listened to an interview with Tim Brown yesterday (of Raiders fame). was asked abt Griffin...said he knows him and wanted Griff to succeed. he also stated that part of the problem was that Griff wasn't necessarily "one of the guys" in the lockerroom. I don't know if that is true or not but it reinforces rumors media have been circulating for over a year now that there may be background issues w/how Griff and other players get along.

no clue on factuality and one treats this with the belief it deserves when based on rumors. lotta things still going on behind the scenes with this team.

I heard the Brown interview too. Doesn't make Robert sound very friendly off the field. Win, and no one will give a shit.
He also said Rich Gannon was an asshole. But when you win, it doesn't matter.

Robert..................................win.

EDIT: The other thing is, Tim Brown put his name on it. Instead of the chickenshit "unnamed sources". It's the only reason I find it credible.

That part about Gannon hiding the pool balls was a little weird. You figure someone (like Cooley kinda' said) would have just brought his own.

What I gathered about his comments re: RGIII was that he couldn't relate to the guys in the Heisman House. I don't think those things can prevent someone from leading a team on the field. There's a difference between being one of "the boys" and developing game chemistry with your teammates.

No one ultimately cares about any of that stuff when you're winning games.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.