• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

CSN: Redskins seek permission to interview Alonzo Highsmith

Talking to and hiring are not equal. And don't know if GB has granted permission for a talk anyway.

But walking into a franchise that has had a less then successful scouting unit I am not surprised that he is reaching out to a known commodity. He has probably seen enough of the Redskins crew to know that one or two of these guys don't fit his scheme. I don't know how many (if any) scouts he had working for him last year but those might be guys he has in mind for after the draft and for the now he can evaluate the current staff. If he has guys from his previous organization that think they have a shot at catching on with Scot then I am sure that they are doing their homework. This is more than a one year fix-it plan so he can have patience with the current group. Though I suspect it will not be a lot of patience.

Of course, he could fire everyone and wait awhile before he finds a replacement. Like the Barry (and whoever else is responsible) plan. I get firing a guy at an upper level spot before going after a replacement. But as for assistants you should have a real good idea of who you are tapping as a replacement. Before letting the incumbent go.

As far as hiring Alonzo Highsmith, I'm all for it.

Woosh Woosh!

I

Another shiny object to distract us from 4-12.
Now wait a minute...you have called Mcloughan a cast off that nobody wants and now he's a big name shiny object?

So which is it?

If Dan's pattern holds, he'll keep incompetent FO staff on board and just keep adding bodies. Remember, Allen was a big defender of the talent evaluators during his season ending presser.

Our scouting department has been one of the leanest by NFL standards during Dan's tenure. Now that he's switched strategy from hiring big name FA players, he's into hiring big name FO types.

Another shiny object to distract us from 4-12.
Right. Because the owner will hire and fire the GM's scouts.

Of course he "approves the budget." It's the leap from that to his deciding which individual scouts come and go that is absurd.

I seriously doubt they would let that guy go.

If I were GB, I'd be assigning him some bs job title to prevent the move.

Interesting fact: After his NFL player career, Alonzo Highsmith took up boxing. He was 27-1-2 as a heavyweight boxer, with 23 knockouts. Among his victories was a 6th round TKO of former New York Jet Mark Gastineau.

So if he's in the draft room, and somebody tries to make a dumb, Cerrato-esque pick - BOOM! Right to the jaw.

Bruce Allen may have been an early supporter of Campbell and others but a lackluster draft in 2014 combined with even more former picks that don't stick around has all bets off.

I think Allen has felt lucky to be able to pass the headaches on to McCloughan and get kicked upstairs.

I'd say the only downside to hiring Scot was that we did it this offseason with Gruden entering his second year instead of last year. We would've been able to go into this season with Scot's hand print fully impressed on the scouting department and a much better feel for the team in general. He would've been more in sync with Gruden as well.

I don't expect Highsmith or any major changes until after the draft now, so we're likely going to go into this year's draft with Scot McCloughan's influence not at its maximum effect. Either way, hopefully he knocks it out of the park and is able to overcome any deficiencies within the current staff.

Landing Highsmith would be huge. Means more to me than any hire at D Coordinator does.

It doesn't matter that McLovin doesn't have his own scouts in place (assuming he will bring in his own guys). He will 100% be making the final call on all player picks and moves. That's why we hired him.

Some analysis would be nice.

We drafted Amerson because he led the nation in picks one year.

We drafted Murphy because he led Division 1 in sacks last year.

A 14 year old buying a sports almanac can make these kinds of picks.

College success doesn't necessarily translate, that's why you never saw Beathard trading up to draft a former Heisman winner.

College success doesn't necessarily translate, that's why you never saw Beathard trading up to draft a former Heisman winner.
No he traded next years first, to move up to the top of that years second, to draft Tory Nixon.

How about focusing on the year he traded a #1 pick for a basket of picks that became Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley and Darryl Grant? 😎

My main point though is that the best GMs don't get caught up in the Heisman hype. Then there are organizations who draft the Heisman winner because a homeless man told them to 😜

I wonder how much you'd quote them though if they had the same salary cap and trade restrictions then as they do now.

The 80s were a great time full of new wave music, men in pig dresses, and drunken players who were loved and not suspended. But the 80s are a long time ago

Value is still the currency of the NFL.

In fact because of the cap making risky moves is usually anathema for the most successful organizations.

Green Bay doesn't trade picks and they rarely hit the first tier of free agents.

They wait and pick up a Charles Woodson or Julius Peppers on incentive deals with no compensation owed.

The Steelers and Patriots usually let players that want big extensions go in free agency and draft replacements.

Mike Wallace wanted a mega deal so PITT let him go to the Dolphins who are now stuck with an overpaid #2 receiver.

The team rolled on with Brown and Sanders.

NE did the same thing with Logan Mankins and Aqib Talib.

They let Talib go to get a multi year deal with Denver while they signed a better corner in Revis to a deal limited to one year, giving them flexibility in the offseason.

The concept of value goes back forever in sports.

Things weren't any different in 1964 when the Redskins took Charley Taylor with their #1 pick and traded Norm Snead for Sonny Jurgensen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.