• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Joe Barry Defensive Coordinator

Need to Know: What should we expect from Joe Barry?s Redskins defense? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

We have learned a few things about what the defense going to look like despite the fact that it’s best for Barry and Jay Gruden to keep things under wraps for as long as possible. It will be a 3-4 base but it seems that they will go with a lot of four-man and other fronts, especially in nickel situations. This is something that many 3-4 defenses do to try to get their pass rushers in the best matchups.

The other change that seems to be coming to the Redskins defense is more use of a one-gap attack. They have been using a lot of two-gap, which means that each defensive lineman is responsible for the gap on either side of the offensive lineman in front of him. The idea is that the linemen tie up the blockers and the linebackers make the plays.

In a one gap, the lineman is only responsible for the hole on one side of the blocker. That gives the linebackers gap responsibility as well. The one gap is a more aggressive scheme than what the Redskins have been playing. That sounds better but, as with any defensive scheme, it comes down to proper execution.

Beyond the X’s and O’s, Barry will display a fiery personality. “Everybody loves the guy,” said Chargers coach Mike McCoy, Barry’s former boss in San Diego. “He really cares about you as a person, not just as a player. If you ask anybody on the defensive side of the ball, or even some of the guys he was close with on the offensive side, he’s a great guy. Very positive. A good motivator.”

That’s about all we know. Press or off-man? Zone coverage or man-to-man? Heavy on blitzing or reliant on four-man rush? We just don’t know yet and given that the coaches have absolutely nothing to gain by telling us or showing us a whole lot in training camp or in the preseason, we probably won’t really find out until Week 1 of the regular season.

I find Tandler usually goes to such great pain avoiding any suggestion of speculation that I feel less informed after reading his articles. Much of this information was known the 1st day Barry was introduced. Then he asks a bunch of questions without providing any intelligent speculation, just saying "we don't know"... It's almost like... Why did I read this?

Anyway, Barry will likely keep everyone guessing... but our first guess will be that he will suck. Please help me understand... Who did Barry develop? It would be nice if Tandler would expand on Mike McCoy's comment about how caring of a person Barry is and who he developed... How did his motivation skills improve the SD Defense?

This thread will be interesting to look back on ... ;)

So I've been meaning to do this for a while ... Barry comes in wearing his Detroit Lions DC experience like a lead albatross. I haven't really taken the time yet to really dig into what those 2 awful teams (2007-08) were all about, so I figure a decent starting place is the raw defensive material he had to work with.

2007 (7-9) Defensive Starters

LDE Jared DeVries 31 8 6.5 sacks, 0 int, 3 fum rec Detroit Lions / 3rd / 70th pick / 1999
LDT Shaun Rogers 28 6 16 7.0 sacks, 1 int, 4 fum rec Detroit Lions / 2nd / 61st pick / 2001
RDT Cory Redding 27 4 16 1.0 sacks, 0 int, 2 fum rec Detroit Lions / 3rd / 66th pick / 2003
RDE Dewayne White 28 4 14 6.5 sacks, 1 int, 2 fum rec Tampa Bay Buccaneers / 2nd / 64th pick / 2003
LLB Boss Bailey 28 4 12 3.5 sacks, 0 int, 0 fum rec Detroit Lions / 2nd / 34th pick / 2003
MLB Paris Lenon 30 5 16 2.0 sacks, 1 int, 0 fum rec
RLB Ernie Sims 23 1 16 1.0 sacks, 1 int, 0 fum rec Detroit Lions / 1st / 9th pick / 2006
LCB Fernando Bryant 30 8 16 0.0 sacks, 2 int, 0 fum rec Jacksonville Jaguars / 1st / 26th pick / 1999
RCB Travis Fisher 28 5 13 0.0 sacks, 2 int, 0 fum rec St. Louis Rams / 2nd / 64th pick / 2002
SS Kenoy Kennedy 30 7 15 0.0 sacks, 2 int, 1 fum rec Denver Broncos / 2nd / 45th pick / 2000
FS Gerald Alexander 23 Rook 16 2.0 sacks, 2 int, 2 fum rec Detroit Lions / 2nd / 61st pick / 2007

2008 (0-16) Defensive Starters

LDE Jared DeVries 32 9 10 2.0 sacks, 0 int, 1 fum rec Detroit Lions / 3rd / 70th pick / 1999
NT Chartric Darby 33 7 15 1.5 sacks, 0 int, 1 fum rec
RDT Cory Redding 28 5 13 3.0 sacks, 0 int, 0 fum rec Detroit Lions / 3rd / 66th pick / 2003
RDE Dewayne White 29 5 11 6.5 sacks, 1 int, 1 fum rec Tampa Bay Buccaneers / 2nd / 64th pick / 2003
LLB Ryan Nece 29 6 10 1.5 sacks, 1 int, 0 fum rec
MLB Paris Lenon 31 6 16 1.5 sacks, 0 int, 2 fum rec
RLB Ernie Sims 24 2 16 1.0 sacks, 0 int, 0 fum rec Detroit Lions / 1st / 9th pick / 2006
LCB Brian Kelly 32 10 10 Tampa Bay Buccaneers / 2nd / 45th pick / 1998
RCB Leigh Bodden 27 5 15 0.0 sacks, 1 int, 2 fum rec
SS Daniel Bullocks 25 2 15 0.0 sacks, 0 int, 1 fum rec Detroit Lions / 2nd / 40th pick / 2006
FS Kalvin Pearson 30 6 10 1.0 sacks, 0 int, 2 fum rec

Last edited:
Just some random stuff about those teams that need to be considered ...

Lots of high-round draft picks on those defensive teams. Picked by GM's Matt Millen in 2007 and Martin Mayhew in 2008.

Hadn't realized the 2007 team started 6-2.

The QB's for those teams were 35-year-old Jon Kitna in 2007 and Dan Orlovsky in 2008.

Head Coach Rod Marinelli.

Here, I'm gettin' my Serv on and doing a little digging. From a Lions MB:

Detroit Lions NFL Football Front Page

Freebird22 wrote:
Something to consider when looking at either Stafford's or Mayhew's overall won-loss record, which is greatly skewed by the lack of talent on defense that both inherited from the Millen regime:

Analyzing Joe Barry's Detroit days

One of the first things I heard from someone who was in Detroit with Joe Barry -- not part of the defensive staff -- was that he did not have a talented group. A lot of coordinators can say the same. So I took a look at the Detroit Lions' defensive starters from that 2008 season just to see what they did before and after Detroit. Within two years, seven of the 11 were out of football. This group, including the backups, combined for zero Pro Bowl appearances during their careers.

Cory Redding, now with the Colts, has arguably climbed higher than any other defensive starter on the 2008 Lions.
It goes deeper. Of the top 26 players on the defensive depth chart, 16 were out of football within two years and only four would go on to become full-time starters for more than one season in the ensuing years -- defensive linemen Cory Redding, Shaun Cody (a backup in '08) and Cliff Avril (a rookie) and linebacker Paris Lenon.

In short, it was a bad group.

Does that excuse everything as far as the rankings? Heck no. And it does not mean Barry will now succeed. I know there's a lack of trust in the Washington Redskins' organization and that's highly understandable. They don't get the benefit of the doubt and I'm not going to make excuses for a defense I didn't watch up close. But what it does mean is that the Detroit Lions' situation was a disaster that extended beyond the coach.

The Lions were last in points allowed and total yards that season. They also were last in yards per play, yards per rush and yards per pass attempt. It was not pretty and I have no clue what will happen here; I know that the Redskins need a talent infusion -- and that was true regardless of whoever became the coordinator.

Here's the list of most common starters for the Lions in 2008:

DE Jared Devries: He spent 11 seasons with Detroit but was done after 2008. Started 32 games in his career.

DT Chartric Darby: Played nine seasons in the NFL and was a full-time starter from 2004-08. But after this season, in which he started 15 times, he played in only two more games in the NFL.

DT Cory Redding: He's currently in his 12th season (playing with the Indianapolis Colts) and spent the first six in Detroit. The Lions made him the highest paid defensive tackle in the league after the 2006 season. He was traded to Seattle in 2009. At least he could play: He's started 70 games since leaving the Lions.

DE DeWayne White: He made 13 starts in four years with Tampa Bay before joining the Lions in 2007 and starting 30 of the 36 games in which he played through 2009. He did not play after the '09 season.

LB Ryan Nece: Spent six years in Tampa Bay before joining the Lions in 2008. He started no games in 2007 with the Bucs, but made 10 starts in '08. He did not play after 2008.

LB Paris Lenon: Last played in 2012 with Denver. Once played in the XFL and NFL Europe. Lenon became a full-time NFL starter with Green Bay in 2005 and joined the Lions a year later. He started every game through 2008 for them, then left for St. Louis. He started 64 games over the next five years with three teams.

LB Ernie Sims: Spent his first four years with Detroit, starting 56 of the 59 games in which he played (all 16 in 2008). He played for three teams from 2010-13 (Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Dallas) and started 39 games in that span -- but only spent one year in a full-time role. He did not play this past season.

CB Brian Kelly: Played his first 10 seasons with Tampa Bay, with 79 starts (but only six in 2006-07). He intercepted an NFL-best eight passes in 2002. But he was out of the NFL after the 2008 season.

CB Leigh Bodden: Started 38 games in his first five seasons with Cleveland before being traded to Detroit before the 2008 season. Played in 2009 and '11, starting a combined 15 games.

S Daniel Bullocks: Played in 31 games with 22 starts in 2006 and '08 combined. Out of the NFL after 2008.

S Kalvin Pearson: Started 12 career games, including 10 in 2008. He appeared in 12 games a year later and never played again.

Just plain bad. Redding and Lenon were the only half way decent pieces on that defense and Lenon didn't really start playing well until he went to the Cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.