• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Joe Barry Defensive Coordinator

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 20, 2015

REDSKINS NAME JOE BARRY AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Joe Barry as Defensive Coordinator.

Barry is entering his 14th NFL season, including his third as a defensive coordinator. He has been a member of a defensive staff that has finished in the Top 10 in total defense five times, including No. 1 overall in 2002 and 2005. Under Barry, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks was named the 2002 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Barry most recently served as linebackers coach for the San Diego Chargers from 2012-14. Prior to his tenure in San Diego, he was the linebackers coach for Southern California from 2010-11. Barry helped mold linebacker Malcolm Smith into a 2011 draft selection who eventually went on to become the MVP of Super Bowl XLVIII.

Barry returned to Tampa Bay for his second stint with the team in 2009, again serving as the linebackers coach under current Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris who was then the head coach. During his first tenure with Tampa Bay from 2001-06 the defense allowed the least passing yards per game (177.2), the second-lowest yards per game (285.7) and the second-fewest points per game (17.4). In addition, Buccaneers linebackers were named to the Pro Bowl seven times in his first six seasons. In 2002, he helped lead the Buccaneers to their first Super Bowl (XXXVII) championship in franchise history.

Barry served as the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions from 2007-08, where he led units that ranked tied for third in the NFL in takeaways (37) in 2007 and 10th in sacks per pass play in 2008. His NFL coaching career began in San Francisco in 2000, serving as a defensive quality control coach.

Barry began his prep career at Ames (Ia.) H.S. before finishing at Fairview H.S. in Boulder, Colo. Barry played linebacker at Michigan from 1989-90 before transferring to USC in 1991, earning varsity letters in the 1992 and '93 seasons. He began his coaching career for the Trojans in 1995. In 1996, he joined the Northern Arizona staff, coaching linebackers and defensive ends for three seasons. Barry was then hired to coach linebackers at Nevada-Las Vegas in 1999.

Barry and his wife, Chris, have two daughters, Camryn and Lauren, and twin sons, Nick and Sam.

BARRY FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2012-14: Linebackers, San Diego Chargers
2010-11: Linebackers, Southern California
2009: Linebackers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2007-08: Defensive Coordinator, Detroit Lions
2001-06: Linebackers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2000: Defensive Quality Control, San Francisco 49ers
1999: Linebackers, Nevada-Las Vegas
1996-98: Linebackers/Defensive Ends, Northern Arizona
1995: Graduate Assistant/Defensive Line, Southern California
1991-93: Linebacker, Southern California
1989-90: Linebacker, Michigan

Is there a way to unlike a post? Because I think this press release would set an all time record for "unlikes".

Imagine his kids reading Twitter. Rough. I wouldn't want to come here if I saw the fan reaction. Brutal.

Watch, he'll end up being the best DC we've EVER had!

Book it!!!

I literally LOL'd BB, good stuff.

The way I see it is the guy wants to be here and wont be looking for a HC gig any time soon, he'll be motivated by his past with Millen (0-16), got one of the best talent guys selecting his unit (giggity), the bolts have had a decent defense during his tenure, & its not Hazmat

There's more but the MAIN point ill add is we've been patient with every other nut job that's come through the doors for 20 some yrs, why not him. At minimum I wanna see 2 yrs before branding him a turd.

Part of the Dingle Barry patch? Huh...who's with me?!?

I literally LOL'd BB, good stuff.

The way I see it is the guy wants to be here and wont be looking for a HC gig any time soon, he'll be motivated by his past with Millen (0-16), got one of the best talent guys selecting his unit (giggity), the bolts have had a decent defense during his tenure, & its not Hazmat

There's more but the MAIN point ill add is we've been patient with every other nut job that's come through the doors for 20 some yrs, why not him. At minimum I wanna see 2 yrs before branding him a turd.

Part of the Dingle Barry patch? Huh...who's with me?!?

cool!

ooops...not one line item on specific skills that make him sure to be such a grand success!

I need not review the definition of insanity...need I?

per others who argue favorably...I think we need to set an overall hiring policy: in order to coach for the Washington Redskins you must have been an abject failure in the role you are being hired into. it's the law of averages manpower strategy! I get it! as we speak...I'm searching business manuals for similar strategies. I know they're out there somewhere! The Petered Out Principle! that's got to be it!

cool!

ooops...not one line item on specific skills that make him sure to be such a grand success!

I need not review the definition of insanity...need I?

Brother if you're looking for sanity this is the WRONG team to follow!

Every Redskin fan in last 20 years...
Crazy Pills.jpg

per others who argue favorably...I think we need to set an overall hiring policy: in order to coach for the Washington Redskins you must have been an abject failure in the role you are being hired into. it's the law of averages manpower strategy! I get it! as we speak...I'm searching business manuals for similar strategies. I know they're out there somewhere! The Petered Out Principle! that's got to be it!

Its not so much arguing favorably as trying to find something positive. If it gets to where I can't do that, I'll move on. I'll wait until he has a chance to fail here before proclaiming him a failure.

People, including myself, need to vent about what most see as a disappointing questionable DC pick. So we'll do that and get it out of our system. But we all need to have something more than 'we're doomed' to contribute.

In terms of Barry, he's our DC now. I'm going to root like hell that he turns into a great one. That's all a Redskins fan can do.

Its not so much arguing favorably as trying to find something positive. If it gets to where I can't do that, I'll move on. I'll wait until he has a chance to fail here before proclaiming him a failure.

This is exactly where I'm at as well. Barry is what we've got so I'm pulling for the guy either way. Worst case is he guides them to dead last in rankings. I just don't see that with a GM who can spot talent throughout the draft.

It is what it is, may as well root for the guy.

Edit: Watch, by mid season we'll witness some solid progress, if not sooner with Tr1 on a happy posting streak! The temperature in hell won't be 33* and dropping either.

Boone, actually it's not all that we can do. It's important to tell the FO that they are **** ups. That they've taken a once proud franchise and shit on it.

I remember Gibbs coming back and bailing out Danny's ass after the Spurrier debacle.

I hope the stadium is empty next year. I hope the Danny loses money. I hope he moves the team and leaves the colors here.

He's killing the franchise. He can't attract quality talent. He's the laughing stock of the NFL. I thought the Bidwells and Laurie were bad, but this guy takes the cake.

I hope you read that press release. Now they're discounting our intelligence by pushing that non-sense.

I think most fans have dialed back their 'commitment' - whether it's buying gear, going to games, whatever. But there's almost nothing that fans can do beyond that. Certainly howling at the moon and spewing negativity non-stop isn't productive. I won't criticize anyone who has engaged in it, as I and most fans have. It's hard to be a Redskins fan. But again, as Om recently said, ultimately it comes down to 'get busy living, or get busy dying'.

As for the Press Release, get real. Did you expect them to say 'We hired Coach Barry in the absence of any evidence he's the right guy for the job. He's never accomplished much, and we don't really expect that to change.'? You hire a guy, you put the best face you can on it. It's not a conspiracy :)

I support the colors. I don't support an inept owner who can't do anything right...except keep extracting money for an inferior product.

If we start 2-7 next year, what will the excuse be? 'We need more time'...'we need to be patient'...

Sound familiar?

Well, assuming there comes a point where we actually do turn it around (be it next year or 10 years from now), yeah, it'll take time and we'll need to be patient. I'm miserable, but if I could no longer conceive of there being a time in the future where the team might win, I would just move on. That's what I don't get about you. Either consider the possibility things can change, even if it's a small distant possibility, or move on.

Boone, just look at the press release. They are doing their best to put a blue dress on a pink pig. Bottom line, it is still a pink pig.

A farmer has a five hundred acre farm full of soybeans. It rains only on one acre of it for the entire growing season and that section produces some great soybeans. We know that the farmer will consider it a disastrous season. The Redskins really love that one acre and that is the only focus.

The blind squirrel analogy is alive and well.

This new DC is a walking bad luck charm. 0-16 speaks for itself, even if it came with one acre of success. His LBs were decimated with injuries this past year. Would it be surprising to see Ryan Kerrigan with a season ending injury by week three? Keenan Robinson needs some good luck in the injury department, but he won't get it with this new joke of a DC. Ditto DeAngelo Hall.

If this new DC is such a hot commodity, then tell me who we were competing against for his services. Need some time? Ok, I'll give you until the summer. Until then...Bah.

Boone, just look at the press release. They are doing their best to put a blue dress on a pink pig. Bottom line, it is still a pink pig.

A farmer has a five hundred acre farm full of soybeans. It rains only on one acre of it for the entire growing season and that section produces some great soybeans. We know that the farmer will consider it a disastrous season. The Redskins really love that one acre and that is the only focus.

The blind squirrel analogy is alive and well.

This new DC is a walking bad luck charm. 0-16 speaks for itself, even if it came with one acre of success. His LBs were decimated with injuries this past year. Would it be surprising to see Ryan Kerrigan with a season ending injury by week three? Keenan Robinson needs some good luck in the injury department, but he won't get it with this new joke of a DC. Ditto DeAngelo Hall.

If this new DC is such a hot commodity, then tell me who we were competing against for his services. Need some time? Ok, I'll give you until the summer. Until then...Bah.

Who are you talking to? First of all, I posted the press release so I don't need you guys to tell me to read it :). But again, what do you expect them to say in a press release?

I've screamed bloody murder about this not being a good pick - so I'm not sure who you are lecturing.

Bottom line - you might as well get over it - he's the DC. Period. And those that keep suggesting we clean house again in a year, I think that's wishful thinking. Snyder can't and won't keep paying coaches not to coach in DC.

The Chargers' linebackers were decimated by injuries this past season. Top pass rusher Melvin Ingram missed seven games with a hip injury; inside linebacker Manti Te'o missed six with a foot injury; inside linebacker Donald Butler missed the final two games with a dislocated elbow and rookie pass-rusher Jeremiah Attaochu missed five games because of a hamstring issue. Yet the Chargers finished ninth in yards and 13th in points. How much of that stemmed from Barry? Is he just a better position coach or a guy in need of a second chance to be a coordinator? We're about to find out.

NFL Redskins thoughts: Joe Barry - ESPN

Who are you talking to? First of all, I posted the press release so I don't need you guys to tell me to read it :). But again, what do you expect them to say in a press release?

I've screamed bloody murder about this not being a good pick - so I'm not sure who you are lecturing.

Bottom line - you might as well get over it - he's the DC. Period. And those that keep suggesting we clean house again in a year, I think that's wishful thinking. Snyder can't and won't keep paying coaches not to coach in DC.

quick fixes are what they want I would rather acquire the talent and see where we are in year 4 of Grudens tenure Bruce has been preaching patience and Scot has been preaching patience

Frankly, I think I represent most of the fan base at this point. Should they all move on? I appreciate your attempt at a positive spin on the franchise, but ask some folks who don't have an interest in the team what they think is going on. It'll open your eyes a bit.

As for my relationship with the team, I will certainly decide to move on when I decide to move on.

Incompetence is the only word to describe the Danny's tenure.

The Eagles, Pukes and Giants are laughing at this hire.

I don't care about all fans. I'm just saying that we expect more here. If all I have to contribute is we suck and we're doomed, I'm not contributing anything of value. Get all the venting out of your system brother like the rest of us and move forward.

When I say 'move on' I speak only about BGO - and I apply it to myself as well.

And I don't need my eyes opened. I see just fine. And for God's sake, if any of you are lecturing me for being a positive homer with my eyes closed, you probably need to seek help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.