• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Joe Barry Defensive Coordinator

"we're dying to know"

I remain concerned about your health brotha Ax. that unrequited search for knowledge might lead to premature death....well......that is a thought that is definitely a positive mojo killer!

Barry or no Barry...we all love you brotha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yawn.

no.

1. you provide one detail in the man's resume that describes successful results leading an NFL defense.

2. you describe one detail in the man's resume that describes defensive innovations that are creative and successful.

3. you describe whether his path into the NFL was based on production or relation.

4. you describe whether FO connections w/Tampa influenced the decision - fitting a known pattern.

5. you describe why he wasn't hired immediately after his first interview if he is the best of breed.

6. you describe why the team ultimately focused on a candidate NO OTHER TEAM was remotely interested in.

7. you describe why his own fanbase could care less that he was departing.

8. you describe why the FO is by all appearances intentionally playing this hire down.

9. you describe why anyone should trust a decision-process that brought us and kept Hazlett.
In other words, you don't know jack shit about how things went down. Who said what. etc...
You just don't like it. Duly noted.

If your point is we don't have insider information: not a scintillating addition to the conversation. what we do have is 23+ years of bad decisions. that is fact...not assumption. not conjecture.
I'll give you credit for not ignorantly laying all the blame to Snyder's tenure.

I get that happiness is a warm gun.
Only if it's fully loaded, with a clip/magazine that holds more than 10 bullets.

we don't have to be happy/positive about everything - especially after the last two years.
I don't have to see someone actually traversing a path to know that path has been walked - I can see the impressions in the ground and the broken foliage
Not saying anyone has to be positive/happy about everything. Just that our opinions are based on limited knowledge of what we know. and an endless supply of what we only THINK we know.

And you're a liar. NOBODY could see the footprints on the rice paper after Kwai Chang Caine walked across it.:joker:

I hire someone I look at the fol:

- first and foremost: have they succeeded before at the task I want to hire them for
So, would you kill the chicken, or crush the egg?

- are they strongly recommended along multiple dimensions by others they have worked with/for
Do you know that he wasn't? Didn't think so.

- do they project into more senior positions or challenging roles downstream

- do I know specific skills and talents they bring to the fold that my organization can benefit from
And as long as YOU are satisfied, that's all that matters. Same for Gruden. He'll either reap the praise, or suffer the consequence.

- do I need to hire them now before they go some place else (i.e., a competitor)

- how do they stack up against other candidates I am looking at for the same position
These were obviously considered.

- do I expect performance immediately (i.e., earn their pay) or is this OJT
One would certainly hope so.

- do they fit my organizational culture
This was considered as well.

Do I hope he succeeds? sure. do I think, given the alternatives, that this was not the best option? you betcha. does this then open the door to think about the decision process...and specifically the competency of Jay Gruden. uh huh.
Agreed. But we don't know the details that lead to the decision.

"we're dying to know"

I remain concerned about your health brotha Ax. that unrequited search for knowledge might lead to premature death....well......that is a thought that is definitely a positive mojo killer!

Barry or no Barry...we all love you brotha!
No worries for me, my brotha from another mother. Just trying to maneuver through the barbwire.

1. you don't have to find something positive in every aspect of life...or football. not begrudging you the priority you assign that mindset in how you go abt doing your business....just doesn't work for everyone.

2. the target here isn't whether he succeeds or not...it's the selection process and how it was executed. it was transparently flawed and most of us see that. it fits a pattern of questionable decision-making that goes back two decades.

I live in a world of decisions and consequences. the two are inextricably linked. life has taught me that the better the process, the better the decision-making...the more likely positive results are going to unfold. this? yea. right.

1) Mostly agree. It's a game to be enjoyed. No matter how frustratingly stupid the moves are, if I can't find something positive, it would be pretty stupid of me to continue with my interest. Life throws enough crap our way without having us self inflict misery. I can see the move for what it is, and not let it bother me too much. My mindset with this team is to have 1 minute of frustration from whatever idiotic thing occurs, and then to move on.

2) I don't think it was transparent at all, and that's were we disagree. We only really know that Fangina was the desired target, so Barry was obviously not the first selection. It's entirely possible that after all of the interviews, they were most impressed with Barry. It may be that Wade told them hell no, so they settled on Barry. There's ton's of way's this could have transpired and we really have no clue as to what the truth is. This may turn out to be just as stupid as the Zorn hire. It is certainly uninspiring.

In the end most of us will move past it in whatever time frame is individually needed and support the guy until he proves himself to be a boom or bust. I've just decided I'm moving on from these things from the start. No reason something I have no control over should frustrate me so much. I'm zenning out on this whole mess.

In the end most of us will move past it in whatever time frame is individually needed and support the guy until he proves himself to be a boom or bust. I've just decided I'm moving on from these things from the start. No reason something I have no control over should frustrate me so much. I'm zenning out on this whole mess.

Agree with this. And this sentiment is what should scare the hell out of Dan Snyder. If many, many fans are staying medium :)P - sorry, had to) or zenning out, that lowers our passion levels perceptibly. I know I am a lot more interested in going to the Panthers game than a home Skins game this year. I have no desire at all to give any money to Snyder, and I don't think I'm alone.

I know, Henry. I just think it's modus operandi, league wide, in more cases than not.

And like everything else, if it works, it's great. If it don't, it ain't.

Well, since what Allen has been doing hasn't been working, might it be a good idea for him to not keep doing it?

Nope. If anything, we should give him more power. That's the Redskins Way.

Is this entire board going to resort to sarcasm and doom and gloom?

I get it..we all get it!! Not many are happy with the Barry hire. But, come on, let's try to accept it because it's happened and get on board. This constant negativity is just making it painful for both sides.

Mike, I admire you. And Ax. I really do. These season was just crushing, man. I feel like I've been run over with a steamroller. And then I started to hope again with Scot and Callahan. And now this. I'm starting to think zen is the approach...

Mike, I admire you. And Ax. I really do. These season was just crushing, man. I feel like I've been run over with a steamroller. And then I started to hope again with Scot and Callahan. And now this. I'm starting to think zen is the approach...
Naw, stick with the hope brother.

San Diego Chargers Blog - ESPN

With San Diego head coach Mike McCoy and the rest of his coaching staff attending the Senior Bowl this week, the Chargers will get a jump on hiring a new linebackers coach this week.

McCoy had this to say about Barry and his new job: “I feel fortunate to have worked with Joe for the past two seasons. He’s an outstanding technician and communicator. He gets the most from his players. They love playing for him. Washington is getting a very good football coach.”

Added Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano: “This is a great opportunity for a bright, young, energetic football coach. Joe is extremely detailed and organized. He’s demanding on his players, pushing them to excel to their fullest capabilities. The players will love playing for Joe.”

I hope they're right. That does make me feel somewhat better. This hire just has a stench about it, but I'm hopeful we got somebody good in spite of ourselves.

I've said the same thing several times. The linebacker Corp was beat up out here but they were able to still stand tall and look good doing it.

Plus they have Teo playing like he's a stud.

For me, I liked the McLovin move. This one, not so much.

Neither affects my outlook on this upcoming season and beyond, however. Winning will change my perception of this team. None of this other stuff really matters, other than it's something to talk about in the meantime.

That said, I don't expect people to not talk about this other stuff. That's the whole point of the board.

I thought my post was pretty funny.

Likely, very accurate, too.

Geeze, Ax, loosen up. It's not the end of the world, right?

Your post was funny. That was good satire.

Couple things. I agree with bits and pieces from just about everyone here. None of us know what went down, but honestly, that's a pretty irrelevant point to keep making (even when I make it) because the point of a messageboard is to discuss with what information we have - it's a given that it's imperfect information.

I'm not so sure Ax that they 'wanted Fangio all along'. The impression I have gotten is that it was Barry that Gruden wanted all along. I suspect he was 'encouraged' to broaden his scope after the initial pass of interviews. It's one thing to say 'Wade Phillips' is too old, but to pass on Fangio in favor of an unproven guy without even an interview, that's different. I think Gruden, given full control, was advised it might be smart to interview the guy. I don't get the impression we went after the guy whole hog. When you don't even make an offer to a guy of that caliber, something is amiss. So - I am in the camp that Gruden 100% made the call, that he disregarded resume and past performance for the most part, and went with a guy he was 'comfortable' with and who he didn't feel threatened by. At some level, I get the argument that it's his coaching staff and he should have the right to make the calls. I've already stated why I have reservations about a rookie head coach being deferred to entirely on that front.

It will either work out, or it won't. I'm not a fan of beating my head into the wall or howling at the moon, so he's our new DC and I hope as others have said that he is highly motivated to take max advantage of his 2nd opportunity.

That said, I don't expect people to not talk about this other stuff. That's the whole point of the board.
Wait.

When I re-signed, I was told I would have final say on what the point of the board would be.

Lyin bunch of no good *********** **** ******* *******!!!

At what point does the "blame snyder for everything" screams die out?

There has been no real facts presented to show he has done anything but sign some checks and shake hands.

It feels like blaming Mara for everything bad that happens or call we don't get.

I know as a salesman, most times I knew within minutes whether or not I was wasting my time. Could be just as Gruden said, that there was little to no chance Fangio would come here. But he didn't want to regret being wrong about the guy, so he followed through with due diligence.

Can you imagine the shit storm he'd have to endure if he hired Barry WITHOUT interviewing Fangio?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.