• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Joe Barry Defensive Coordinator

I'm not going to "get over it". And asking me to accept it? I have no plans to do so.

Anyway...

Zac Boyer @ZacBoyer
Gruden on Fangio: "We knew it was kind of a longshot of him coming anyway. ... It would’ve been stupid for us not to reach out."

That is just embarrassing. Little Baby Jay thought they had no chance? Right away this speaks to his ability to recruit and have any kind of coaching talent signed, sealed, and delivered. He sounds like someone who doesn't even have confidence in his own abilities to lead.

John, get some sleep. It's not worth it to stay up late and be sluggish at work tomorrow. I'm calling it a day. Points made. Over and out.

You do what you want to do BB - but don't take your frustration out on me - I didn't hire the guy, nor have I defended it.

This is kind of lengthy but I thought this article by John Keim gives an interesting, if slightly less doom-and-gloom perspective on the Barry hire.

I know new Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Joe Barry's track record, and it's not good. One former general manager said he would not have hired him because of what happened in Detroit. Was it just a case of an overmatched coach? Bad talent? Bad organization? My take always is that when you're that bad, it's an organizational failure. One coach at this level does not lead to such a disaster.

The well-connected Joe Barry brings an infusion of energy to the Redskins.
That doesn't mean he was without fault; Detroit is part of his resume. Just know that Vic Fangio, who was viewed as the savior, had bad years as a coordinator as well. Of course he had plenty of good ones and would have been a slam-dunk hire. And Fangio did a fantastic job with San Francisco the past four years -- his previous time as an NFL coordinator, though, resulted in the NFL's 31st-ranked defense in Indianapolis. My point: Sometimes situations are more conducive to success.

Is that the case for Barry? I really don't know. Maybe he's a great coach only in need of a second chance. Maybe he's a bad coordinator and that will be proven in Washington. But I also won't go overboard saying this is somehow a horrible hire. It certainly looks like a case of being well-connected, with ties to Bruce Allen, Jay Gruden, Doug Williams and Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay and to A.J. Smith in San Diego. As I always say: Do you trust them to make the right decisions? It's easy to understand if you don't based on recent seasons and track records.

The words energetic and grinder have been used to describe Barry. Those are necessary traits to be a coach in the NFL and both are what the Redskins need. And energy was a popular theme during the search.

Obviously, Wade Phillips was the biggest name. Clearly he wanted to return to coaching and, at this point, I'm not sure what the Redskins didn't like. But the former GM talked about hiring older coaches (Phillips is 67) and how that's not always a good idea. Of course, many still get hired and remain highly effective. But the worry always is the energy level and the motivation. As the ex-GM said, it's hard to stay on that grind. Was that an issue with Phillips? Can't say. But, in general, it's something teams ask about when hiring older coaches. That said, others I talked to liked Phillips.

Another former general manager said a big problem for first-time head coaches is knowing who to hire on the other side of the ball. Jay Gruden is an offensive guy. Did he get this one right? It won't matter without a talent infusion, something the organization knows.

Also talked to someone who worked with Barry in Detroit and he liked him. Now, this person said he wasn't sure who was to blame for what happened to the Detroit Lions' defense in 2007-08. There was feeling that perhaps a scheme (Tampa 2) was forced on a defense that lacked the proper personnel to run that system. And that it was more about general manager Matt Millen and coach Rod Marinelli than anyone. Don't know how much that's the case, but it's the opinion of one person.

Anyway, the book on Barry was that he was organized, had a lot of energy and that he was liked and respected by the players. Heard that about him in San Diego, too. He comes across as a no-nonsense football coach in this video.

What does this mean for secondary coach Raheem Morris? A team source said his status is to be determined; there are other jobs still undetermined around the NFL that could result in a better job for Morris. But keep in mind that he hired Barry to be his linebackers coach when he was in Tampa Bay (and after Barry had been fired in Detroit).

Barry was part of a 3-4 defense in San Diego but ran a 4-3 in Detroit and obviously was with Tampa Bay when it ran a 4-3. It sounds like they'll stick with a 3-4 in Washington. Again, it's irrelevant if you don't improve the talent.

The Redskins would still need more help from the outside linebackers in the pass rush (drafting another one?); perhaps as many as three defensive backs; possibly one or two defensive linemen and maybe even an inside linebacker. It's tough to make that many changes, but the Redskins lack quality building blocks on defense aside from linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, linebacker Keenan Robinson and corner Bashaud Breeland. Can end Jason Hatcher stay healthy? Will linebacker Trent Murphy develop? Corner David Amerson too? Change is, and needs to be, coming.

The Chargers' linebackers were decimated by injuries this past season. Top pass rusher Melvin Ingram missed seven games with a hip injury; inside linebacker Manti Te'o missed six with a foot injury; inside linebacker Donald Butler missed the final two games with a dislocated elbow and rookie pass-rusher Jeremiah Attaochu missed five games because of a hamstring issue. Yet the Chargers finished ninth in yards and 13th in points. How much of that stemmed from Barry? Is he just a better position coach or a guy in need of a second chance to be a coordinator? We're about to find out.

I absolutely hope he succeeds, along with the rest of the novice coaching staff that has been assembled.

Well, if this guy has any competitive fire at all, he is going to want to shut me and all the other naysayers up quickly. That I like. Now we just have to see if his coaching is up to par.

It will be telling how many current staff guys he keeps. The more change, the greater chance it will look worse before it looks better.

I think our LB's have done pretty well. I'd have no problem keeping those coaches.
Hard to tell with the Dline. Not a ton of talent to work with.
I do hope Raheem finds another job elsewhere.

I think Barry suffers from a timing issue. If this had happened before the Scot and Callahan hires, I think we would all be in a better mood. But I think psychologically we were all sure the franchise was headed in the right direction, away from the Tampa Mafia hires and towards more legitimate personnel/coaching hires. This is like a stomach-punch reminder of who Bruce Allen is.

True. But we also seem to think we're the only franchise in the history of the world to hire people we know, and have worked with before.

Simply not the case.

Those Tampa teams weren't good. Bruce hasn't picked great players or coaches since he's been here. If I were him, I'd branch outside of the Tampa-Incest pool he seems infatuated with. If he had worked with winners and successful people, I'd be a lot less worried.

Hell, the fact that he hasn't worked with those people tells me a lot.

Time will tell. Allen gets a Mulligan, IMO, for the Shamahan years. I know everyone doesn't share that feeling. He's now in year 2, of a possible 5. If he's going to ultimately fail, we can at least sell the next POFO on the idea that he will be given time to implement his plan, before we roast his nuts on the Key Bridge during rush hour in a blinding snow storm.

True. But we also seem to think we're the only franchise in the history of the world to hire people we know, and have worked with before.

Simply not the case.

I think there's a difference between Gibbs hiring Bugel and this, no?

It makes perfect sense to hire someone you know who's good at what they do. If you hire someone you know because ... you know them, that's a problem.

Hopefully this hire works out.

I know, Henry. I just think it's modus operandi, league wide, in more cases than not.

And like everything else, if it works, it's great. If it don't, it ain't.

Its not so much arguing favorably as trying to find something positive. If it gets to where I can't do that, I'll move on. I'll wait until he has a chance to fail here before proclaiming him a failure.

1. you don't have to find something positive in every aspect of life...or football. not begrudging you the priority you assign that mindset in how you go abt doing your business....just doesn't work for everyone.

2. the target here isn't whether he succeeds or not...it's the selection process and how it was executed. it was transparently flawed and most of us see that. it fits a pattern of questionable decision-making that goes back two decades.

I live in a world of decisions and consequences. the two are inextricably linked. life has taught me that the better the process, the better the decision-making...the more likely positive results are going to unfold. this? yea. right.

So break it down. What exactly was the process. Give exact details, since you must know them. Describe the interviews. Tell me what you liked/disliked about what each candidate said, requested, or demanded. We're dying to know.

And please, refrain from assumption.

So break it down. What exactly was the process. Give exact details, since you must know them. Describe the interviews. Tell me what you liked/disliked about what each candidate said, requested, or demanded. We're dying to know.

And please, refrain from assumption.

Yawn.

no.

1. you provide one detail in the man's resume that describes successful results leading an NFL defense.

2. you describe one detail in the man's resume that describes defensive innovations that are creative and successful.

3. you describe whether his path into the NFL was based on production or relation.

4. you describe whether FO connections w/Tampa influenced the decision - fitting a known pattern.

5. you describe why he wasn't hired immediately after his first interview if he is the best of breed.

6. you describe why the team ultimately focused on a candidate NO OTHER TEAM was remotely interested in.

7. you describe why his own fanbase could care less that he was departing.

8. you describe why the FO is by all appearances intentionally playing this hire down.

9. you describe why anyone should trust a decision-process that brought us and kept Hazlett.

If your point is we don't have insider information: not a scintillating addition to the conversation. what we do have is 23+ years of bad decisions. that is fact...not assumption. not conjecture.

I get that happiness is a warm gun. bang. bang. chew. chew. we don't have to be happy/positive about everything - especially after the last two years.
I don't have to see someone actually traversing a path to know that path has been walked - I can see the impressions in the ground and the broken foliage.

I hire someone I look at the fol:

- first and foremost: have they succeeded before at the task I want to hire them for

- are they strongly recommended along multiple dimensions by others they have worked with/for

- do they project into more senior positions or challenging roles downstream

- do I know specific skills and talents they bring to the fold that my organization can benefit from

- do I need to hire them now before they go some place else (i.e., a competitor)

- how do they stack up against other candidates I am looking at for the same position

- do I expect performance immediately (i.e., earn their pay) or is this OJT

- do they fit my organizational culture

Do I hope he succeeds? sure. do I think, given the alternatives, that this was not the best option? you betcha. does this then open the door to think about the decision process...and specifically the competency of Jay Gruden. uh huh.

barry-cide. it's a tragedy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.