• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Head Coach Search

Who's Your Preferred Next Head Coach?

• Brian Kelly (Notre Dame HC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teryl Austin (Detroit DC)

• Doug Marrone (Jags OL Coach)

• Hue Jackson (Cincy OC)

• David Shaw (Stanford HC)

• Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)

• Darell Bevell (Seattle OC)

• Adam Gase (Bears OC)

• Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Sean Payton (Saints HC)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Bill Callahan (Skins OL)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other: Post your candidate

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
Not inspired by the current coaching staff. The team across the board was undisciplined and at times totally at a loss as to what their assignments were, throughout the season. Add Mr. Barry to the mix and I now feel like McLovin came in and let Dan and Bruce know that he identified only a handful of players he'd keep and will replace the rest over time. No real need to work on a coaching staff this year.

Who do we think might be available after this coming season?

How's that for optimism?

That's about where I am. I am thinking total retool is on deck, which will take several years to come to fruition.

That's about where I am too. It would not be surprising to have the first overall pick in 2016.

Other than Callahan none of these other assistant coaches have much of any track record of success in the NFL.

Most are under 40 and from Gruden's perspective 'full of energy and ideas'.

But do the Redskins players respect a 27 year old offensive coordinator like McVay?

Does a Joe Barry come in with any gravitas after posting rankings as DC that were worse than what Haslett put together?

What about Ben Kotwica and the special teams? He has not exactly impressed when I saw him being interviewed last summer.

I said it before. I understand that the normal arrangement is that head coaches get to pick their staffs. That's the way it should be. But this isn't a normal situation. It's a goddamn mess. And you've got a newb head coach who can't even get through year 1 without stirring up major controversy to add to the distraction trying to lead us out of the abyss. Gruden may well be in way over his head just with being a head coach. I don't know that he's got the experience, knowledge, and frankly judgment to pick the best coordinator candidates.

I don't care if the DC candidate interviews well. I don't care if he says all the right things or doesn't. I don't care if he's your age and you can 'relate'. I don't care if he intimidates you, or if you feel threatened by him. All I care about is whether or not he can build, field, and call a great defense. And the problem I have with giving Gruden all that authority is that I don't think he's capable after a tumultuous year 1, holding onto his job by the skin of his teeth, to ignore all the noise and find the best guy. I'd have preferred that McCloughan take a stand such as 'Of course Jay will have a lot of input in coordinator selections, but we'll make those decisions together'.

And the reason I say that is - Jay Gruden eventually gets to move on with a big fat bank account whether this works out or continues to be a disaster. Hell - he may move on and not even have to earn the money. But we fans, if this guy is nothing more than what his previous resume says he is, we'll be paying for it for years and years to come.

I have invested entirely too much over the last 20 years to give a shit anymore. The glory of my youth is gone and I am convinced it will never be relived in my lifetime. I have not read a book in a while. I think I might just go do that and give less of my time to this organization.

But you do give a shit. We all do. Snyder better get it right this go-round. If the whole thing is an epic failure again, I really think the fans will turn their backs on this franchise. I could even see an organized effort to run Snyder out of town. People are pretty fed up. You think it's bad here, go read Twitter for an hour, or look at other sites (which are even more viciously negative than what you see here).

But you do give a shit. We all do. Snyder better get it right this go-round. If the whole thing is an epic failure again, I really think the fans will turn their backs on this franchise. I could even see an organized effort to run Snyder out of town. People are pretty fed up. You think it's bad here, go read Twitter for an hour, or look at other sites (which are even more viciously negative than what you see here).

I've seen some of the venom...I am not full of hate, just tired man. This formula will not work. I am beginning to think Bruce Allen is the biggest problem right now. I think Dan is letting him do too much. And I do care...too much. Too much energy spent on an entity that continues to fail...talk about powerless.

I think Allen gave Gruden some rope to see if he'd hang himself, and he did. This hire is ridiculous. But hey, the guy said some really cool stuff to Gruden.

I've seen some of the venom...I am not full of hate, just tired man. This formula will not work. I am beginning to think Bruce Allen is the biggest problem right now. I think Dan is letting him do too much. And I do care...too much. Too much energy spent on an entity that continues to fail...talk about powerless.

So it's my turn to say 'I told you so'. For several years, I've been saying Allen was nothing more than a glad-handing empty suit, nice guy, but one with no particular skills helpful to building a great team. I would've preferred that old Bruce been given a lat move, not be put in charge of McCloughan. I hope to God that's ceremonial only and that Allen knows better than to meddle with the GMs decisions and agenda. Because he is utterly clueless if you ask me.

I think Allen gave Gruden some rope to see if he'd hang himself, and he did. This hire is ridiculous. But hey, the guy said some really cool stuff to Gruden.

Allen ain't that clever my friend.

Allen ain't that clever my friend.

he might not be the smartest football mind but since he has left the raiders they have brought in over priced free agents and sucked not one winning season

since he left Tampa they have 1 winning season

since he has been here 1 winning season

correlation none

contrary to what people say he had influence on players in Oakland

I don't think Bruce is the problem I believe we are doing it right we won't see instant success but once we do start seeing success it won't be flash in the pans 7 game runs and lose in the first round of the playoffs
has there been yes there has but doing it the right way is better than grabbing some player off of free agency then cutting 2 or 3 home grown talents and not having depth

will it be painfull next season? Yes it will but I think we start to see the fruits of this in 2 years

Who do we think might be available after this coming season?

How's that for optimism?
No one. We are all going to die when a meteor strikes the planet, November 30th, 2015 at 2:38pm EST.

How's that for pessimism? :)

Really? I should probably quit my job and come study at the Church O' Ax until the inevitable, huh?

:)

Really? I should probably quit my job and come study at the Church O' Ax until the inevitable, huh?

:)
You would be a definite upgrade to the church. I offer you a lifetime appointment. No interview required.

Gruden didn't make this choice in a vacuum. He wants to win, not just walk away with a butt load of money. These guys are ego driven. Now he may not be capable of making a good selection, but I have to believe he picked who he felt was the best candidate of the ones willing to come here. We wanted an organization to run more conventionally, and we can't pick and chose when a decision isn't to our liking. HC's pick their DC's. It's the way it should be in every case. If Gruden blows it, it's on him. And Allen should follow him out the door for making a poor HC hire. But I'll be damned if I'll go into next season rooting for yet another coaching change. I'd prefer to hope this one works out and we won't be going through this same stupid crap next off season.

Redskins26, that's not correct.

Bruce Allen had NO say in personnel decisions with the Raiders. The Super Bowl team in 2002 was put together by Michael Lombardi, Allen was a special assistant to Davis and negotiated the team around the salary cap in re contract negotiations.

In fact it was brought out that Al Davis didn't even allow Bruce Allen in the war room on draft day.

It simply wasn't part of his role with the organization.

I just posted this in the other land,

With just a few exceptions to the rule, it is still about the acquisition of talent. For twenty plus years we have failed to acquire the talent to win.

So, coaches, whatever, I want to know if SM can deliver, plain and simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.