• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Head Coach Search

Who's Your Preferred Next Head Coach?

• Brian Kelly (Notre Dame HC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teryl Austin (Detroit DC)

• Doug Marrone (Jags OL Coach)

• Hue Jackson (Cincy OC)

• David Shaw (Stanford HC)

• Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)

• Darell Bevell (Seattle OC)

• Adam Gase (Bears OC)

• Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Sean Payton (Saints HC)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Bill Callahan (Skins OL)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other: Post your candidate

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I don't ever remember mentioning you by name SNF.

At the same time, I don't know how fans can bitch and moan about how badly this team's been mismanaged over the last 20 yrs but expect instant turnaround when the talent level here is on par with an average expansion team.

Did anyone here expect playoffs this year? Serious question...

Maybe it's just me that's way off but I get the feeling that alot of you think this team is just chock full of all-pros and it's the coach holding them back?

I mean, Ty Nsekhe and McRib were starters today....damn the coaches for holding those two Probowlers back!

:kick_can:

For the record, I tend to agree with DP. We can't just keep rotating out coaching staff's and expect to have success. I think it's very hard to judge Gruden with any authority not knowing what's going on behind the scenes. I get that ultimately the only measure is wins on the field. And he's not getting it done there. But McCloughan has a lot better idea of who this guy really is, what his capabilities are, and whether or not he's got the raw materials, temperament, and skills to get the job done. If he keeps him, I'll support that because I know it's McCloughan's judgment that he can be successful. If we move on, I'll assume that means it was his judgment he couldn't be.

Not random as far as I'm concerned.

Didn't mean it that way Mike. I didn't realize it was an old thread when I opened it, that's why I mentioned it was an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we stick with a coach who isn't progressing out of fear of "doing the same ol" even though it's hurting us?

Can we let the season happen before we get out the pitchforks and torches? I'm not happy with the results either, but at some point someone in this organization is going to have to be given the chance to learn. Gruden may be doomed to fail. He may be setup to fail. Or maybe he learns a thing or two from this and gets the team playing well. This team isn't going to the playoffs, so lets see what they have. If things are still a mess at the end of the season, I'll be right there leading the charge:

da7e807e855ef73724dcc86dc7264650.400x240x15.gif

So we stick with a coach who isn't progressing out of fear of "doing the same ol" even though it's hurting us?

I would argue you are oversimplifying the situation. I think we are seeing some signs of progress. When we weren't missing half our offensive line and half our receiving corps, the offense has been improved, as has defense and special teams. I don't believe anyone can contest that. Someone will come in and say 'so our crap went from foul to only kind of stinky'. Fine. But we are seeing some progress. I get lit up every time I say this but Gruden is only a 2nd year head coach. If the team tanks the rest of the way, he may be gone, and that's fine. It's a win now league and we all know that. But if the team fights and manages to salvage a respectable season from here on out, he may deserve more time.

I don't get you guys who think McLovin is the 2nd Coming but don't trust him to make the right decision on whether Gruden can be the guy or not? It doesn't matter what the fans think. McCloughan will decide.

Wheres the motivation to do that? Can you say you look at gruden and believe he's doing the very best h3 can? Can you say his efforts are even helping the team?

He's already making excuses for cousins. "We don't have anyone on this roster who can throw the ball 43 times and win" yet he's asked him to do just that twice now.

I would argue you are oversimplifying the situation. I think we are seeing some signs of progress. When we weren't missing half our offensive line and half our receiving corps, the offense has been improved, as has defense and special teams. I don't believe anyone can contest that. Someone will come in and say 'so our crap went from foul to only kind of stinky'. Fine. But we are seeing some progress. I get lit up every time I say this but Gruden is only a 2nd year head coach. If the team tanks the rest of the way, he may be gone, and that's fine. It's a win now league and we all know that. But if the team fights and manages to salvage a respectable season from here on out, he may deserve more time.

I don't get you guys who think McLovin is the 2nd Coming but don't trust him to make the right decision on whether Gruden can be the guy or not? It doesn't matter what the fans think. McCloughan will decide.

I understand but I could say you're trying to find the less stinky part of the steaming pile of shit to sat we don't stink as bad.

Truth is, we do stink. We are trying to be a power running team and we had 34 rushing yards total.

We benched Griffin because he got sacked a lot and couldn't make the right reads for a qb who throws interceptions left and right and horrible at least half the time he throws the ball.

Our defense is improved, I don't dare deny that. But they're on the field so much now it's hard to stay fresh.

I trust Scot but I also have my opinion as well. I don't think gruden is gone before years end but he isn't doing anything to help save his own job.

We are trying to be a power running team and we had 34 rushing yards total.

Ty Nsekhe,Spencer Long and Josh LeRibeus is the left side of your Oline.

Brandon Scherff(R)and Morgan Moses(Yr 2) is your right side.

How do you run?

With better plays than what he called, with not doing the same thing over and over and expecting miracles. With a better passing game that doesn't let them stack the box.

Maybe we should let the season play out in its entirety and then judge Gruden's progress with this talent-deficient team.

The fact is that in 6 games this season, we've been badly outplayed in one of them (vs. Jets). It could certainly be worse for a team that posted the 5th worst record a year ago.

We pushed an undefeated Atlanta team at the time to the limit on the road and have been a fairly tough out on our own field so far.

You can't expect to get through a season with this group of players without 1 to 2 dud games. Today's performance shouldn't have come as a surprise considering the Jets' defense, the injuries we faced, and the emotional deflation that likely followed last week's contest in Atlanta. Sadly, we were prime for the picking today.

The key if Gruden wants to be taken seriously by this organization come the offseason is to avoid having dud games become the norm the rest of the way.

One thing that is completely over looked is that the Jets are a good team, probably the overall best team we've played this year. They beat us...we aren't as good, especially with so many injured players. For as piss poor as the OL was in the run game, they were pretty good is the pass pro for much of the game. If Cousins doesn't throw so many behind the receiver and if the damn receivers could get open, we might have done better.

But the Jets are better than us...they beat us. The end of the world is not nigh.

I think you must have blessed amnesia about the Giants game. The injuries are killing us right now. We aren't good enough to overcome them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we should let the season play out in its entirety and then judge Gruden's progress with this talent-deficient team.

The fact is that in 6 games this season, we've been badly outplayed in one of them (vs. Jets). It could certainly be worse for a team that posted the 5th worst record a year ago.

We pushed an undefeated Atlanta team at the time to the limit on the road and have been a fairly tough out on our own field so far.

You can't expect to get through a season with this group of players without 1 to 2 dud games. Today's performance shouldn't have come as a surprise considering the Jets' defense, the injuries we faced, and the emotional deflation that likely followed last week's contest in Atlanta. Sadly, we were prime for the picking today.

The key if Gruden wants to be taken seriously by this organization come the offseason is to avoid having dud games become the norm the rest of the way.

Yeah, everyone is over reacting to everything. I remember after week 3, the team was 2-1 and really should have been 3-0. Gruden was coach of the year and Jones was rookie of the year. The running game was unstoppable and Cousins was playing his best football. The defense was also dominating and one of the top defenses in the league. Everything was great and things were going well. The last 3 games, two have been duds and then the Falcons game which was like week 1 which was a game that should have been won but got away. So the first 3 weeks, we wanted to crown our coach, to paraphrase Denny Green. 3 weeks later, we want to can our coach. The reality is both are over reactions.

Personally I do trust the new GM. I think the additions he has made player-wise are very encouraging. I also think some of the new coaches are panning out well. I don't think either of those things has anything to do with the head coach.

And I think that same GM knows that, too.

I'm not near disgusted as most of you about yesterdays loss. I've come to a conclusion though, our fan base is worn out and tired of losing. Most of us are so jaded we can't see progress. We got outplayed and out muscled by a better team. I've reserved judgement on Gruden because I felt he deserves a honeymoon season...I offer no such "grace period" this year. He hasn't got the job done this season so far, the season isn't over yet so he has time to turn things around.The Oline did a decent job of pass pro without it's star LT and starting center. That's not bad...
I have no idea what's going on with the running game however. Cousins has been a huge letdown though so maybe that's part of it, his throws are late and behind the targets more often than not. He's not really improving from one game to the next. We really would move the chains far better if he was more accurate. I'm scared every time he throws deep.
I like the core of players we have on the team much better than anything I've seen on the team in over a decade. We are missing a few parts like most teams that aren't above 500. There are a lot of young players contributing, not just getting playing time. With that youth, there are going to be blown assignments and mistakes, but they are getting valuable playing time. We are inconsistent and downright dreadful in the 3rd quarter, but we are a much better team today than we were last season and the last few seasons. I believe a qb upgrade will get us to the next level but that will have to wait...I figured a 9-7 season for us this year as did most of us +/- a game or two. Why do some of you act like the sky is falling? Or that you are shocked we are struggling to stay at .500? We are a rebuilding team, it's going to take some patience. One week Scott M. is a exactly what we need the next he's a failure...it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Alright, since folks seem interested in playing, now there's a poll to voice your preferences for the next Skins head coach.

Big wheel keep on turnin', Proud Mary keep on burnin'....

Ok, less angry and defensive this morning. I still see Gruden as a clown though.

I'm disappointed that Art Briles isn't on the poll.

By the way, I didn't really get it out there fully, but I was actually defending myself by admitting that I wanted to give Spurrier, Zorn, and Shanahan more time. Feel free to critique my crack judgement of head coaches. :)

Personally I do trust the new GM. I think the additions he has made player-wise are very encouraging. I also think some of the new coaches are panning out well. I don't think either of those things has anything to do with the head coach.

And I think that same GM knows that, too.

Agreed. I saw a group of undermanned guys balling out for the team in the first half and the team falling apart in the second. I didn't expect them to win, but they came out expecting to win. Good coaching, right? The defense as a whole, the undermanned defensive secondary and the ridiculously inexperienced offensive line played out of their minds in my opinion. It looks from here like those coaches are doing it right.

Ty Nsekhe,Spencer Long and Josh LeRibeus is the left side of your Oline.

Brandon Scherff(R)and Morgan Moses(Yr 2) is your right side.

How do you run?

same way you pass: get better at what you're being paid to do.

here's the one gotcha in all of this: there have been a litany of teams that have turned things around pretty quickly....with one notable exception. anyone want to bet that...bad as b-more is this year...they will be right back in the thick of things next season?

if I have a damaged car, I don't replace a busted engine with an untested, unreliable engine and hope that the engine "works" it's way into integrating. I find a good engine and make sure its integrated into the rest of the auto's components. we have a major league excuse factory going on here in an environment where big boys are being paid millions of dollars to do one thing: win. there's no accountability. the product sucks.

At risk of going over ground I went over on another thread I totally agree with some of you on this thread as regards the progress of the team.

After last year ended I was so fed up. The shining promise of 2012 was gone and I figured we had another year of dismal failure to look forward to. Gruden hadn't proved himself in year 1, McVay was too young, Barry had a pretty bad track record and I wasn't sure what to make of McLoughlin. Only Callaghan filled me with any hope.

I'd already written this year off as a 2-14 campaign at best.

Then we had the off season and the draft and the pre-season and I kinda optimistically upgraded my expectations to a 4-12 season, 5-11 if we were lucky.

After last week we were looking at a possible 4-4 after the New England game. Did I dare hope?

In truth this is about where I expected us to be, but I do like that we have shown flashed of competence and I do feel that there is much to be happy and even excited about. I think the injury situation has made things more than a little tenuous at the moment, but truth is we've seen improvements across the board.

Our Defense is tougher, our turnovers (bar Kirks Interceptions) are down, our pass defense is better than expected, our O-Line looks like it could be great going forwards when healthy, our young players (Breeland, Crowder, Scherff etc) are all impressing, our free agents are looking good. Our special teams looks much better than it was last year. Hopkins is a major step forward from Forbath.

I like where we're headed. I really do.

I'm of the opinion (in agreement with some others here) that we just need to stick out the season and let this team grow and breath together as a unit. We all knew the rebuild wouldn't be a 1 year and done thing, it'll realistically take multiple drafts and multiple of seasons to fix everything, and I'm happy to wait. I actually feel hope with this team despite the losses. Even in Atlanta and New York (both times) this Redskin team seemed to FIGHT, even if it didn't have the tools to get the job done.

We need to lick whatever ails them in the 3rd Quarter, but apart from that I like the spirit in this team.

This team never just rolls over. Even when it looked bad yesterday our special teams were aggressive and got that punt block and ALMOST had that onside kick. Could have put us right back in the game.

I think Gruden and co have some learning to do. Last weeks call on that interception in Atlanta was a bad one (the bubble screen I think it was, terrible call and badly executed!) and I wasn't a fan of his call on 4th and Goal at the 1 or 2 or whatever it was yesterday that we fluffed. (I know we got the TD anyhow because of the blocked punt but even so....) He is only in his second year and I'd be happy enough to let him grow with this team and this staff for a few more years.

As I said in the other thread, the big teams all have consistency. We have none. Chop and change every couple of years. I'd just like to see us settle for a while. We've had so many years of losing at this point that I don't care how long it takes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.