• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free agent combine

Part of me thinks it can't be a bad idea and can make it so contracts are earned and not just given because of what you did in 2012.

With the rookie salary cap it could very well help.
With 10 year vets being judged as old it could help as well.

but if you are a 10 year vet with a big name but losing your skills it would definitely hurt you for that contract you are hoping to get.

I love it. Another weekend watching football on tv.

It will also give the guys who desrve it a chance, and hopefully keep some teams from making a mistake.

I love it.. and a week after the rookie combine? I'm with you SC.. where has this been ?!

If I am a Free Agent, I am not going to participate. My leverage is my play on the field. I could have an all-pro year, and do a combine in the off-season and drastically devalue myself.

Nope...can't ever imagine how the NFLPA would go for this.

That is the part of the vet getting stiffed that I meant. It's not good for the old but is for the unproven

That is the part of the vet getting stiffed that I meant. It's not good for the old but is for the unproven

Unproven? What are we talking about here? A guy who has been in the league for a few years and hasn't had the opportunity to crack a starting lineup? How would running races and shuttles, throwing a few footballs in limited conditions, suggest they are any better than the opportunities they've already had?

I just don't see this being anything more than pomp and circumstance for the NFL. Any veteran of this league has already had the opportunity to display their talents...they have leverage or they don't. No "Veteran Combine" is going to change that.

A guy who has flashed greatness but got hurt, a guy who has been good but maybe had a few bad games and replaced as a starter.

Like that.

A guy who has flashed greatness but got hurt, a guy who has been good but maybe had a few bad games and replaced as a starter.

Like that.

I hear ya, just don't agree with it. Brian Orakpo looks like a possible candidate for something like this then...after the pec tore, again, would you sign him for going out and benching 225 50 times?

I might give him more than what I would right now. But not much.

It's a weird thing...either of us could be right. It might not even fly with the nflpa

I think guys would be able to choose whether to participate or not. For some, it could be beneficial. Coming off injury, UDFA, late season cuts... this would be a perfect way for Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice to prove they still have the physical skills. It very well could work against certain players, I understand that, but giving guys an open opportunity to get in front of the eyes of teams sounds like a good idea. A lot of players go by the wayside because teams might not see their talent or don't have enough time to properly evaluate them one by one by one by inviting them to work out.... i dunno, just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.