• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2015 (Continual Updates)

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2015 (Continual Updates)​

Welcome to the 2015 offseason. We are taking a different approach for the new football year as we combine our mocks with the free agency period. We’ll have periodic updates as warranted and will use just this one entry instead of posting multiple blogs.

This week we take our first look at free agency. With a new football GM in place, the Redskins are expected to be minor players in the FA market, but one or two signings of heightened significance can’t be ruled out. Last week we had our first mock – feel free to scroll back and see what was posted. The mocks will be on a hiatus until early March. The mocks will slowly increase in number as we get closer to the draft.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, coaching changes, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we’d like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

Free Agency 2015​

Unrestricted Free Agent Predcitons:
Brian Orakpo, OLB - Walks
Tyler Polumbus, OT - Walks
Roy Helu, RB - Re-signed
Jarvis Jenkins, DE - Re-signed (One year prove it deal)
Brandon Meriweather, S - Re-signed (One year team friendly deal)
Leonard Hankerson, WR - Walks
Niles Paul, TE - Re-signed
Chris Neild, DT - Re-signed (One year prove it deal)
Colt McCoy, QB - Re-signed
Ryan Clark, S - Walks, Retires
Santana Moss, WR - Walks
E.J. Biggers, CB - Walks
Justin Rogers, CB - Walks
Tanard Jackson, S - Stays suspended

Exclusive Rights Free Agent Predictions:
Trenton Robinson, Tendered
Chris Thompson RB - Tendered

Restricted Free Agent Predictions:
Duke Ihenacho, S - Tendered
Kai Forbath, K - Tendered
Tom Compton, LT - Tendered
Travian Robertson, DT – Tendered
Rishaw Johnson, OT - Tendered

Available Free Agents:​

Quarterbacks:
Jake Locker, Titans
Ryan Mallett, Texans
Mark Sanchez, Eagles
Matt Moore, Dolphins

Preferred choice is Moore.

Running Backs, Fullbacks:
None.

Tight Ends:
None.

Wide Receivers:
Torrey Smith, Ravens
Kenny Britt, Rams

Britt is the preferred choice, but by a slim margin. Either would be fine if the contract is team friendly.

Offensive Tackles:
None.

Offensive Guards:
Mike Iupati, 49ers
Clint Boling, Bengals

Iupati is the preferred choice and should be a top target.

Centers:
None.

Defensive Tackles:
None. Should be addressed in the draft.

Defensive Ends:
Jared Odrick, Dolphins
Corey Peters, Falcons

Odrick may prove to be too expensive, but the Redskins should try to sign.

Outside Linebackers:
Pernell McPhee, Ravens
Jabaal Sheard, Browns

McPhee is the preferred choice.

Inside Linebackers:
Rey Maualuga, Bengals

It will depend on what is done with Perry Riley and the draft.

Cornerbacks:
Chris Culliver, 49ers
Walter Thurmond III, Giants

Neither stands out, but depth is needed and Thurmond is a former pick of Scot McCloughan.

Safeties:
Da'Norris Searcy, Bills
Sergio Brown, Colts

Searcy is the preferred choice and Brown would bring special teams abilities.

Special Teams:
None. A returner should be targeted as an UDFA after the draft.

There is your first look at free agency for the 2015 offseason. Feel free to add names to the list or subtract from what has been posted. Who do you prefer to be the main target in free agency? Who would you keep? Who would you not re-sign? Who would you cut (next FA list will include possible cuts)? That is all for now, but the updates will certainly increase in volume and frequency. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

I hope you're wrong about Meriweather.

Dude sucks, and he's dumber than a truckload of hammers.

Don't forget a skilled carpenter knows how to use a hammer to it's best advantage. ;)

I hope you're wrong about Meriweather.

Dude sucks, and he's dumber than a truckload of hammers.

Hey now, a truckload of hammers could tackle better.

Tom, Shi no, you're both right.

A good man knows how to use his tool.

And a hammer can get by on a big hit, without wrapping up.

I don't see how the Redskins can avoid a RT in FA. There is no slam dunk in the draft and then it is a roll of the dice with Compton as the current #1. The few RT FAs are going to probably get overpaid by anyone in need. Barksdale would be a good option. If you have to go this route at least make it with a guy you can construct a decent cap contract with, stays on the field and has more than 30 seconds left in his career.

Outside the FA route, maybe a trade with the Saints who are $24 million over the cap and they will have to dump some salary. They will most likely want draft picks (which the Redskins are going to be tight with) and/or players they can fit under the cap (which the Skins don't have much in trade value). Salary might be an issue but there are ways to play with that.

Jahri Evans, RG, 6'4"/318#, 31. Has the size and been a reliable player injury wise (Missed two games in nine seasons). Thinking he would be keeping the seat warm until a new guy is developed with 31 not that old for an OL. Has a $6M cap hit this year and two years left for $21M. Saints would get $9M on next years cap.

Curtis Lofton, ILB, 6'0"/249#, 28. Maybe not a real need position for WA but is more reliable injury wise. No games missed in 7 seasons. Saints would get $4.25M cap savings this year. He has $24M over the next three years remaining on his contract and their cap would recover a $15M total.

Cameron Jordan, DE, 6'4"/287, 25. Might be pretty hard to sign money wise but he would fill a need. 20 sacks in the last two seasons is a decent number for a DE. Last year of his contract at $7M which the Saints get all of back to the cap and has a real possibility of being traded.

Maybe Scot doesn't look at any of these guys. But there will be a fire sale in New Orleans this year and the Redskins will add at least a couple of players outside of the draft. Just a thought outside the FA route.

So is there no stud CB's rated in the top 5? Was thinking about that watching Odell Beckam in the pro bowl.

No deals for 31 year old players who want to be paid for what they did in the past.

Evans hasn't been close to his old form the past 2 years at OG.

How do we know there are no RTs available in the draft who can play?

We brought in McCloughan to find these players.

I know I haven't been scouting South Dakota State and Valparaiso for linemen this season 😏

Solid, but not sure he's a top 5 pick. I don't think anyone on our defense is worthy of top 10 and they have a few guys projected from that defense in the 1st round. I don't see it.

Agreed, E.

Next year Jalen Ramsey could be a top 10.

NFL Draft Mock 2015 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

This one has us going
1. OLB
2. FS
3. DE
4. WR
5. QB
6. C
7. RB

Not bad, if the team wants me to stomp a kitten that is.

When I hit that link, it takes me to a different mock draft. Maybe it changes daily?

The one I get has us taking a QB at 5, with these comments: "While most agree that Winston is the top talent at QB in this year's draft, and Todd McShay even claims Winston to be behind only Andrew Luck as a quarterback prospect coming out of college"

The 2nd best QB prospect to come out of college in the last 15 years? Too good to be true. He'll go at pick 1.

Winston makes me a little crazy. I love watching the next Franchise QB phenomenon every year, and generally I think I'm pretty good at spotting the makings of a serious candidate heading into the draft. I haven't seen a TON of FSU games the last couple of years, but of the half dozen times or so I've watched actual games instead of highlights, I have not really "seen it" with this guy. Forget the off-field kerfluffles, I'm talking pure pocket-passing and overall field generalship skills. I just don't see it. Do most of you?

And this is separate and apart from whether or not the Skins would draft him--put me down for a firm "no" even if he slides to 5. This is purely in terms of whether or not there's a consensus on if he's the real deal or not.

I personally do. On the field, I only have two concerns. The first being that he sometimes has trouble spotting coverage when throwing underneath. The second being an elongated windup, I believe due to his being a baseball pitcher too. That windup was not present as a freshman. I believe both can be corrected.

Aside from that, yeah, I'd jump on him. But he won't be there when we pick, and there are many other ways to rebuild this team that I believe we'll try instead.

When I hit that link, it takes me to a different mock draft. Maybe it changes daily?

The one I get has us taking a QB at 5, with these comments: "While most agree that Winston is the top talent at QB in this year's draft, and Todd McShay even claims Winston to be behind only Andrew Luck as a quarterback prospect coming out of college"

Really? When I click it comes up with everyone's 1st round pick (ours is Nebraska olb), & at very bottom of page has the other 6 round links in yellow font.

Edit: Disregard, it has changed since yesterday and now has us with Winston. Is he another runner or a pocket QB?

Last edited:
Really? When I click it comes up with everyone's 1st round pick (ours is Nebraska olb), & at very bottom of page has the other 6 round links in yellow font.

Edit: Disregard, it changed since yesterday and now has us with Winston. Is he another runner or a pocket QB?

It must update every few days.

Winston is the QB from FSU. Traditional pocket passer, but also good mobility. Kind of similar to Ben Roethlisberger. Big, strong guy with a good arm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.