• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2015 (Continual Updates)

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Welcome to the 2015 offseason. We are taking a different approach for the new football year as we combine our mocks with the free agency period. We

More...

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2015 (Continual Updates)​

Welcome to the 2015 offseason. We are taking a different approach for the new football year as we combine our mocks with the free agency period. We’ll have periodic updates as warranted and will use just this one entry instead of posting multiple blogs.

In about a week or so we will begin an in depth look at free agency. The first mock will come later this week and then it will be on something of a hiatus until early March. The mocks will slowly increase in number as we get closer to the draft.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, coaching changes, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we’d like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

Without any further delays, let’s take a look at the latest developments.

East-West Shrine Game Interviews:
Zachary Zenner, RB, South Dakota St.
Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech
Jamon Brown, OT, Louisville
Bobby McCain, CB, Memphis
Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice

And so the 2015 offseason commences with some team interviews this week. That is all for now, but the updates will certainly increase in volume and frequency. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Last edited:
I anticipate talk about a number of college players none of us have heard about before.

That was the MO under Beathard and as another former scout I expect the same from Scot McCoughlin.

It's time for us to consistently start to find Pierre Garçon in the 6th round instead of having to pay millions in free agency because Polian was the one to draft him.

I anticipate talk about a number of college players none of us have heard about before.

That was the MO under Beathard and as another former scout I expect the same from Scot McCoughlin.

It's time for us to consistently start to find Pierre Garçon in the 6th round instead of having to pay millions in free agency because Polian was the one to draft him.

Those are pretty high expectations when we employ only 4-7 scouts, while the Patriots employ 19.

What happens behind the scenes might be an important barometer for us to watch.

And BB, you were incredibly accurate last year. I love this thread.

Again, I think the scouting staff will increase due to the change in the front office.

Under Gibbs II and Shanahan the Redskins had one of the largest groups of assistants in the NFL and the team used their coaches to do a lot of the player evaluations that other teams leave to the GM and his staff to do.

That was a flawed approach in my book and a paradigm I see changing sooner rather than later.

We have our first update this offseason for the continuing blog. The Redskins have interviewed more players at the East-West Shrine game.

East-West Shrine Game Interviews:
Derrick Lott, DT, Tennessee-Chattanooga
Zachary Zenner, RB, South Dakota St.
Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech
Justin Coleman, CB, Tenessee
Jamon Brown, OT, Louisville
Damian Parms, S, Florida Atlantic
Bobby McCain, CB, Memphis
Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice
Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

More to come as we go along.

Those are pretty high expectations when we employ only 4-7 scouts, while the Patriots employ 19.

What happens behind the scenes might be an important barometer for us to watch.
I think we heard you the 1st 87 times you said it.

I expect to see a couple of WRs taken. Skins have exactly zero of the physical types Scot likes. I think the smallest of the 7 he drafted in SF were still bigger guys than Pierre who is their current big wideout. Unless you want to count Hank...didn't think so...

He also likes to draft a QB; not necessarily at the upper rounds but somewhere. Not to push RG III out but maybe push out at least one of the other two.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2015 (Continual Updates)​

Welcome to the 2015 offseason. We are taking a different approach for the new football year as we combine our mocks with the free agency period. We’ll have periodic updates as warranted and will use just this one entry instead of posting multiple blogs.

Next week we will begin an in depth look at free agency. Today, we have our first mock and then it will be on something of a hiatus until early March. The mocks will slowly increase in number as we get closer to the draft.

Feel free to offer your own ideas about the draft, free agency, team cuts, coaching changes, and anything else related to these subjects. Too, we’d like to see your mocks if you are so inclined.

Without any further delays, let’s take a look at the latest developments and the first mock for 2015.

Round One:
The Redskins trade down with the Browns and receive Cleveland’s two first rounders.

Round One: Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami
Flowers had an excellent 2014 season as a pass protector and opened up major holes in the running game. He can be plugged in immediately on the right side.

Round One: Eddie Goldman, DE/DT, Florida State
The Redskins return to the state of Florida in the first round and select the coveted prospect. He is better suited for DE in the league, but can slide inside for certain packages. Fans are excited about adding the nickname of “Goldman Sacks”.

Round Two: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville
The Redskins select their third straight ACC player. Holliman immediately upgrades the free safety position as Ryan Clark is finished. The Louisville standout has ball hawking skills and should become an instant starter.

Round Three:
The Redskins make their second trade of the draft as they move down in the third round and add an extra fourth rounder in the process.

Round Three: Durell Eskridge, SS, Syracuse
Although it is only a coincidence, the team makes it four for four in ACC prospects. Eskridge played FS, but many scouts project him as a SS in the NFL. With Holliman and Eskridge, the Redskins will have size, speed, strength, and needed talent at the safety positions.

Round Four: Devin Funchess, WR/TE, Michigan
Funchess is more of a tight end who can make all of the catches, but can slide out to the receiver position when needed. Needs to add about ten to fifteen pounds of muscle for blocking assignments, but it shouldn’t be an issue.

Round Four: Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma
The Big 12 lineman is a force inside. In a league that emphasizes offense, Phillips more than held his own against quality competition. He has great size and will be a great replacement for Stephen Bowen and (possibly) Barry Cofield.

Round Five: Jarvis Harrison, G, Texas A&M
Aggie linemen have been nothing short of spectacular in recent years and Harrison is another in a long line of great tackles and guards from the SEC power. He is massive and some scouts considered him to be the most talented in a group of standouts on A&M’s line.

Round Six: Jake Smith, C, Louisville
It’s highly unlikely for Smith to push for a starting role, but he would have good tutors in Bill Callahan and Kory Lichtensteiger. He could be inserted into the lineup in the next year or two.

Round Seven: Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware
Boyle can snag his share of receptions, but blocking is his forte. In fact, his superior blocking skillset is better than that of Logan Paulsen’s. Boyle could easily end the stay of the UCLA product.

Prospects Contacted, Interviewed, Visited:
EW – East-West Shrine game.
SB – Senior Bowl.
Combine – NFLC
Team Pro Day – TPB
Team Visit – TV

Derrick Lott, DT, Tennessee-Chattanooga EW
Zachary Zenner, RB, South Dakota St. EW
Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech EW
Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee EW
Jamon Brown, OT, Louisville EW
Damian Parms, S, Florida Atlantic EW
Bobby McCain, CB, Memphis EW
Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice EW
Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan EW

There is your first mock of the 2015 offseason and an updated prospect list. That is all for now, but the updates will certainly increase in volume and frequency. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Thanks again for doing this, BB! Great info, bush-beating name gathering, good insights as to the "why this guy?" and a great resource for instigating further research.

Your gonna keep me busy digging around for more info and I'm always thankful for that. :)

I think we do this to one another. :)

It's been said many times, but for the newcomers of late. My research for the draft starts in mid October each year and continues until the draft. I go through tons of reports, videos, pressers, new staff hires, coaching changes, etc. to get a feel of how we may arrive at the actual picks.

Ok, back to the blog.

If I can add something that might be useful, there is a site I use that collects vids of prospective draftees and has them categorized by position, or you can search for a particular one by name. Some players have more than one video to watch these guys in action. There are likely some videos out there that they don't have but this is an easy way to find somebody you're particularly interested in seeing.

Prospect Video Clips | Draft Breakdown

I could def dig that draft scenario, good stuff.

Anyone know if McLovin has a history of trading down vs standing pat each round?

He has a history of trading up, trading down, bundling picks and players for trades, you name it. I think he's all about getting the guys who he's tagged as 'football players'.

Right on, though I'm not sure my nerves are yet ready for a trade-up. Swear it's like we've gotten dicked every time.

Many of those EW interviewees are big guys. Like really big guys.

Jamon Brown; 6-5/330 (projects better at Guard); Waller 6-6/240; Taylor 6-5/210...anyway you get the point. I am thinking that we will see a lot more of this type thing especially at WR.

Nice! Goodbye Shamaham hobbits, welcome dudes like the Mountain
image.jpg

Again, I think the scouting staff will increase due to the change in the front office.

Under Gibbs II and Shanahan the Redskins had one of the largest groups of assistants in the NFL and the team used their coaches to do a lot of the player evaluations that other teams leave to the GM and his staff to do.

That was a flawed approach in my book and a paradigm I see changing sooner rather than later.

some personel might change but Scot said it's the same number basically they had in Greenbay and San Francisco when he was there

Many of those EW interviewees are big guys. Like really big guys.

Jamon Brown; 6-5/330 (projects better at Guard); Waller 6-6/240; Taylor 6-5/210...anyway you get the point. I am thinking that we will see a lot more of this type thing especially at WR.

Jay G. has stated a preference for bigs-OL, WR, CB, safeties, you name it.

As Doc Walker says...need some big uglies. Need an OL reminiscent of the HOGS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.