• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

McCloughan's draft plan

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Scot McCloughan reveals game plan for No. 5 pick

At Friday’s introductory press conference, new Washington Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan talked about his game plan for the No. 5 pick in the NFL Draft.

(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)
But first things first, it’s off the college all-star games, like the Senior Bowl.

“Well, first and foremost, like I said for the next two weeks I will be at all-star games and then getting back here and getting to know this roster – going through the whole ’14 season, meeting with the coaches as much as possible and just seeing what we think have and don’t have,” said McCloughan. “Now, when we approach this draft, you know right now we have the fifth pick.”

McCloughan said his belief has been to draft the best player available, regardless of need.

“Again, I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board.

“You know people say, 'Well, if you have this and this, why would you do that?’ Because, you know, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games.”

Author
Jamie Oakes @nfl_redskins247

Dont know if this is posted elsewhere, but i took more out of this article about what McCloughan brings here then any other article. Mentioned in other conversations, he wants BPA and he's getting right to work. I like it.

Yeah, I really like what I read about this guy so far. He looks, and sounds, like the real deal to me. I think our talent evaluation process is going to advance in leaps and bounds immediately.

I have no idea why people try to convince themselves and others that they want BPA every season. It's like they read it somewhere once before, and now it becomes their mantra.

In theory, it sounds great. In reality, why do people keep lying to themselves and everyone around them?

The Tampa Bay Bucs and New York Jets need QBs desperately. They're taking QBs. Not some BPA defensive lineman.

And if Alabama WR Amari Cooper happens to be the BPA when we draft at 5, people will go insane if we take him. Others will go insane if we take a BPA QB at 5.

Maybe "BPA at one of a team's many positions of need" is much more accurate.

Scot already addressed your pov McD5: his is a long-run mindset...yours is short-run. different philosophies.

We've heard BPA here for years.

Do you know what that's done here?

BPA has drafted three Olinemen, in rounds 1&2, over the last 15 years and only two Dlinemen in the last 20.

Scot mentioned that it's a big man's game, so I look forward to how our philosophy changes.

Yes, but the term is not accurate.

If by a wild chance a WR is the BPA every single time our pick comes up, then guess what? We aren't drafting 7 WRs and we aren't drafting BPA.

No one in the example above would ever draft BPA. *Ends rant*

You are correct McD. No one has mentioned the board. That's where BPA and need meet to select the "best" guy without stockpiling too many at one position.

You are correct McD. No one has mentioned the board. That's where BPA and need meet to select the "best" guy without stockpiling too many at one position.

That's all I'm saying, and sorry to get on a rant, but that term has always been a huge pet peeve of mine.

"Drafting with an emphasis on BPA" works.

""Drafting BPA as long as it isn't the exact same position we've already drafted the previous 6 rounds" also works.

There are 22 starting positions that need to be filled first. No one just drafts BPA.

I just hate the blanket BPA statement.

Last edited:
Right, but you have to also take into account that he disagree's with 'drafting for need.' You do that and you miss out big picture. I agree it's BPA at position of need, but you also don't take an OG in the first that has zero reason going that high, simply because you need an OG.

In your original post McD, there may be a correllation between the success of the Bucs and Jets and their draft strategy.

I haven't heard McCloughan say anything about 'best player available at position of need'. I have heard him say 'best player available'. I think it goes without saying that you have to apply common sense. We can't draft 10 linebackers because they are the best player at our spot. But I think he is closer to believing you almost always pick the best football player vs. 'what you need'. I think what he said yesterday (or implied) is that this strategy will leave you with a hell of a football team full of football players in 4 or 5 years. I love, love, love his comments about it being a big man's game. We may get that OL we've been looking for afterall. And for those wanting a new QB, sounds like McCloughan is counseling not to give up on RG3 just yet, but we'll see.

McCloughan drafted Iupati in SF. Iupati is now going to be a free agent, and he's regarded as one of the best O-linemen out there available. If we get a guy like that here, then the draft landscape changes drastically.

If you have three glaring deficiencies (o-line, d-line, dbs), I don't think we draft a WR. Does anyone?

I think it's BPA as position of need. And if the talent sucks at the most pressing need position, you go to the next position need. But, who knows. We're all reading a lot into a guy and a philosophy for a guy who really has no idea what our needs are right now.

If you ask me, our problems have always been overreaching for FAs. It sounds like that's going to stop.

Actually, from what I understand, we used his freelance services to get some draft strategy this past draft... he might have a better idea then we know. I'm sure he doesn't have a complete knowledge... yet. We may never know, but it is interesting to think about if he pointed out guys like Breeland and found him.

Yeah, I really like what I read about this guy so far. He looks, and sounds, like the real deal to me. I think our talent evaluation process is going to advance in leaps and bounds immediately.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, if our scouting dept was only off by a little bit, we wouldn't see the immediate difference, but I think because of how bad it has been for so long, we are bound to see immediate improvements.

I saw an article on Facebook where it was offering up the idea that we mooch from the 49ers to get Frank Gore & Fred Davis since they were McCloughan's picks for them. And my immediate reaction is that we have sucked for so long & done things wrong for so long. I read that & thought, "Aren't we tired of trying to imitate what other teams have done? That's why we brought Scot here." Things are going to start turning around in the future where headlines are going to read:

"IS THE REST OF THE NFL GOING TO FOLLOW THE BLUEPRINT THE REDSKINS USED FOR SUCCESS?"

That's 5, 6 years down the road. But with Scot at the helm, I have no doubt that this is coming.

If you have three glaring deficiencies (o-line, d-line, dbs), I don't think we draft a WR. Does anyone?

I think it's BPA as position of need. And if the talent sucks at the most pressing need position, you go to the next position need. But, who knows. We're all reading a lot into a guy and a philosophy for a guy who really has no idea what our needs are right now.

If you ask me, our problems have always been overreaching for FAs. It sounds like that's going to stop.

If McCloughan doesn't think there are any special OL/DL/DBs at our spot, yeah, I think he drafts a WR if he views him as dramatically the best player there. We'll have to see what he does because those situations will arise.

I think it's pretty clear the more you hear from guys like Bruce Allen that this franchise hasn't had an organized, disciplined structure, plan, and process to set up a winning organization since Gibbs I. We are a mess. Some of the stuff coming out of the Vinny Cerrato camp is just downright embarassing. I think McCloughan is being brought in because, unlike anyone currently at Redskins Park, he knows what a winning strategy and winning organization looks like from top to bottom and can help us implement that. If that means creating an organization and strategy that's a copycat of Seattle's or San Francisco's, I could care less. Because those teams are not laughing stocks. We are.

I'd keep NFL sack leader Justin Houston on your radars.

He's only 25 years old, and he's a FA. We can give him Orakpo's money and let him and Kerrigan commit borderline felonies on opposing QBs all season.

He's young, and he had 22 sacks last season. 2 more than JJ Watt.

If McCloughan doesn't think there are any special OL/DL/DBs at our spot, yeah, I think he drafts a WR if he views him as dramatically the best player there. We'll have to see what he does because those situations will arise.

I was actually thinking about this.. 2 weeks ago I would have flipped sh*t if we drafted Cooper at 5. Thinking more about it and reading up, added with the fact that it's not Bruce making the pick, I could see it happening, and being a good move. Garcon is expensive, Jax is in his prime, Roberts struggled, Moss is in the twilight of his career, and 2 years from now we could be very thin at WR. We have needs, but if he's got a plan, we have to believe in his moves until he's proven to fail.

I personally wouldn't do it, but it would be a much easier pill to swallow.

Last edited:
I'd keep NFL sack leader Justin Houston on your radars.

He's only 25 years old, and he's a FA. We can give him Orakpo's money and let him and Kerrigan commit borderline felonies on opposing QBs all season.

He's young, and he had 22 sacks last season. 2 more than JJ Watt.

I'm not saying we won't go after him, or that it would be a bad idea, but if you got anything from yesterday's presser it's that McLovin is not a big free agency advocate. The fact that he's so young might alter the equation, but I think we're going to see much more discipline and hesitancy related to free agency than we've ever seen here. If there's any hint of prior injury (or coming off injury), if the FA is approaching 30, I don't think there is a chance we'll go there.

With Houston (and other defensive players) I think some of our strategy will depend on whether we continue with a 3-4 (if we do, that makes Houston more attractive since that's what KC plays).

Last edited:
I'm not saying we won't go after him, or that it would be a bad idea, but if you got anything from yesterday's presser it's that McLovin is not a big free agency advocate. The fact that he's so young might alter the equation, but I think we're going to see much more discipline and hesitancy related to free agency than we've ever seen here. If there's any hint of prior injury (or coming off injury), if the FA is approaching 30, I don't think there is a chance we'll go there.

Not to mention the fact that he's been influenced by Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson.

If you know Packers fans, the concept of free agency is foreign to them. I'm exaggerating, but you get what I'm saying.

They rarely have relied on free agency to build their team - they quietly go about drafting and building.

The Packers are about as boring as watching paint dry during the offseason, but you know what - they win.

I'd gladly take that over the s**t show that we've watched the past 20 odd years or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.