• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

McCloughan's draft plan

Did a single player from the last three picks GMBA made last year make the roster? Certainly can't do any worse with these guys. One or two may even stick. I think I'd put McLovin's UDFA's ahead of GMBA's late-round drafted player.

Nick

As a paid consultant last year, I wonder if any/none/all the picks we made were on Mr McGloo's list of recommendations.

We will never know, most likely.

I also imagine he came up with a generic ranking of players that any of his clients could use. I have to believe grading out players knowing a team's desired identity, needs, and future plans would result in a higher quality assessment with higher likelihood of success? That, and let's face it - there's far greater pressure and ownership when you are making picks as a team GM.

And just because teams may have asked him for reports on corners or offensive linemen it doesn't mean he would necessarily pick that player for that team if he was the GM.

Just wait until it comes out that McCloughan told the teams that bought his sheet to draft Bashaud Breeland :laugh:

Our best pick.

An interesting piece today from Rich Tandler's Real Redskins outlining some possible trade-down scenarios for the Redskins.

At least from Tandler's perspective.

Can the Redskins pull off a draft day trade back deal?

Rich Tandler

Feb 22, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
9 Comments
Marcus-Mariota

INDIANAPOLIS—If you polled Redskins fans about what they want their team to do with the fifth overall pick in the draft, the “trade back” option would at least win a plurality, if not a solid majority.

There has been plenty of unconfirmed talk here at the NFL Combine that the Redskins would indeed listen to offers to drop back and pick up some more selections to get to work on filling the myriad of team needs that currently exist.

So, let’s take a look at a few scenarios here. The one generating the biggest buzz while being the least likely is the Eagles trading up to get quarterback Marcus Mariota. Chip Kelly, formerly Mariota’s coach at Oregon, believes that Mariota would be the perfect QB for his system. The buzz is that he is willing to make major deal to try to get him.

One possibility being floated around is the Eagles moving up from their spot at 20th overall to the Redskins five hole spot in exchange for their first- and second-round picks in both 2015 and 2016.

I think that if it was any other team besides the Eagles the Redskins could be very interested in this deal. But the fact that they could be setting up their division rival with the quarterback they need to be competitive for the next 15 years would make Scot McCloughan think twice, even three times, about making a deal with Kelly. In fact, the Redskins might be inclined to take a lesser deal just to make sure that the Eagles don’t get Mariota.

A small deal they could make would be with the Jets, who pick right behind them at No. 6. New York may be in the market for Mariota and perhaps the Redskins could get a third to flip with the Jets. That would give the Jets insurance that the Redskins won’t make another deal and the Redskins could still get the player they wanted at No. 5.

There are options in between the huge deal and the little deal. There is talk that the Browns, who have the 12th and 19th picks, are very interested in Mariota. According to the draft trade points value chart, the Browns would be overpaying if they gave up both of their first-round picks for the fifth overall. The value chart is just a guideline so that doesn’t mean it won’t happen but perhaps that No. 12 and the Browns’ second-rounder is a more realistic price.

Those teams seem to be the primary candidates for Mariota’s services at the moment. But as the draft gets closer, other QB-needy teams might decide to jump in. But it seems unlikely that any deal will be made before the Redskins are on the clock. Their trading partner would need to make sure that Mariota is still there before pulling the trigger on a deal.

All the Redskins and potential trading partners can do is talk about possibilities and scenarios. If Mariota is still on the board when the Redskins the Redskins’ pick comes up, the bidding could begin in earnest.

Link: Can the Redskins pull off a draft day trade back deal? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

It would be nice to be on this side of a big draft day trade for once....it's been a long ass time

Amen Mike. And you'll be happy to know the Skins are not renewing their contract with AJ Smith.

Amen Mike. And you'll be happy to know the Skins are not renewing their contract with AJ Smith.

A.J. Smith's NFL career may be at an end - Sports - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Because Smith still had two seasons, at $2.2 million each, remaining on his contract with San Diego when the Chargers let him go, the Redskins had been paying him only a portion of that annual salary the past two years.
That contract expires on Feb. 28, which is Smith’s 66th birthday, and he and the Redskins were unable to agree on terms for a new deal.
“A contract could not be worked out,” Smith said Sunday morning by phone from Indianapolis, where he has been attending the NFL Combine. “I was too high. They were too low. We wished each other the very best and parted ways. Just another NFL business transaction.”

A.J. Smith's NFL career may be at an end - Sports - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Because Smith still had two seasons, at $2.2 million each, remaining on his contract with San Diego when the Chargers let him go, the Redskins had been paying him only a portion of that annual salary the past two years.
That contract expires on Feb. 28, which is Smith’s 66th birthday, and he and the Redskins were unable to agree on terms for a new deal.
“A contract could not be worked out,” Smith said Sunday morning by phone from Indianapolis, where he has been attending the NFL Combine. “I was too high. They were too low. We wished each other the very best and parted ways. Just another NFL business transaction.”

Holy crap... so it is possible to make a business decision and it not end with speculation, poo flinging, and passive aggressive innuendos in the media.

Why not deal with the Eagles?

They have been stealing our lunch money for years on guys like McNabb, Trotter, etc.

One thing I would do is have them throw Nick Foles in the deal so we could get some legit competition in here at qb and a potential starter if Griffin lets us down.

If Griffin doesn't like it too bad.

Montana had to deal with Young breathing down his neck in SF and he was a proven champion.

Right now Griffin is barely a Twitter warrior.

Nick Foles is a joke and all hype. He was beat out by butt fumble and that's embarrassing itself

I like the Foles idea, partially due to his height.

But if the Eagles let him go, you have to wonder about the severity of his injury.

Nix was tall, too. I have no idea how that even matters in qb talent.

Nix was tall, too. I have no idea how that even matters in qb talent.

It allows him to see over the line with ease and makes passes being batted down less likely.

He's basically the opposite of Chris Simms.

I don't think we need to sign him, but I've always thought he looked good--even in one game against us where it seemed liked we sacked him over and over prior to his huge season. He always appeared to be a tough customer who would stand in the pocket and who wasn't afraid to take a hit.

That's not as big as you'd think it is. Flute did just fine in the league as have several other "not tall" quarterbacks

A QB doesn't need to be 6-foot-6, but if given the choice between that and 5-foot-8, sign me up.

I'll take the heart and mindset over height any day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.