• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

McCloughan's draft plan

I actually agree with you Ax - I think those that have already written off, not just Moses and Long, but Murphy, Amerson, and others, are ridiculous. Some of these guys need significant a) live action time and b) development with coaches who know how to develop players. It's quite possible any or all of them will be busts, but it's equally likely that their college success wasn't some phantom bizarre aberration :)

And you know what - you have a point about Cerrato's believability. Except that his comments have the strange ring of truth to them. I appreciate your perspective that the mental image fans have of how things really work is often skewed. But there's also the possibility that the operation really has been just as amateurish as is sounds at times to have been.

Just bustin' your balls a little on Cerrato. ;)

But you're right, there is little doubt that things, most especially during, yet not exclusive to, the Pre-Gibbs Snyderatto Era, that we've been far less than professional, as an organization. But there's also little doubt, at least in my mind, there has been a lot of fabricated, unsubstantiated rumor, made believable simply because of reputation, rather than fact.

One of the interviews Scot said Snyder agreed with him about patience and draft picks which made me wonder maybe Snyder never wanted to trade draft picks for players but listened to others like vinny and went along with him

We've heard BPA here for years.

Do you know what that's done here?

BPA has drafted three Olinemen, in rounds 1&2, over the last 15 years and only two Dlinemen in the last 20.

Scot mentioned that it's a big man's game, so I look forward to how our philosophy changes.

well...on one level that is true. on another there is a problem with your argument:

drafting BPA is a strategy. to execute you have to be able to evaluate prospects accurately. the problem all along hasn't been the strategy....it has been the ability to evaluate prospects so the team gets to the right draft board......the whole reason McG has been brought in.

I actually agree with you Ax - I think those that have already written off, not just Moses and Long, but Murphy, Amerson, and others, are ridiculous. Some of these guys need significant a) live action time and b) development with coaches who know how to develop players. It's quite possible any or all of them will be busts, but it's equally likely that their college success wasn't some phantom bizarre aberration :)

And you know what - you have a point about Cerrato's believability. Except that his comments have the strange ring of truth to them. I appreciate your perspective that the mental image fans have of how things really work is often skewed. But there's also the possibility that the operation really has been just as amateurish as is sounds at times to have been.

don't want to get into a fight with anyone on this......but I do believe the ultimate criterion is the team's record over 20+ years. sustained losing = core systemic problems. I don't think that can be disputed by any reasonable person.

time to look forward while undoing bad decisions of the past.

Amen. Let the insanity stop today. Get it done Aaron Rodgers. It's time to see Tony show his true colors.

Amen. Let the insanity stop today. Get it done Aaron Rodgers. It's time to see Tony show his true colors.

There is a football game today?

AFanwoaklew said:
The 5th overall pick HAS to go to an o-lineman.... Right?
Keim said:
No, it does not. To only look at one position is a great way to lose your job. What if no offensive lineman is worthy of being drafted No. 5 and you bypass a defensive playmaker to draft one there nonetheless? Dumb. They need defensive playmakers, too. I've had general managers tell me that more teams make mistakes reaching for offensive linemen. And they'll also say the best way to lose your job is to only draft for need. What's not a need today might be one tomorrow. Besides, I'd have a real hard time drafting any lineman there if he wasn't a left tackle, which is not an area of need. So you take the best player, especially if it is at an area of need. The Redskins have just as strong a need to shore up other areas as they do to build a better line. I'm all for improving the line, but it would be really bad to only focus on that area for the top spot. I can't emphasize that enough and if I were in charge and my GM did that, especially if what he's looking for is a guard or right tackle? I'd fire him.
Washington Redskins mailbag: Part 2 - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

:smile:

Any of you bastiges gonna be in chat for any of the playoff action today?

Might be fun for the Dallas game...

I just saw something that's a great sign. McLovin has already watched all 16 of our games last season. On another note, he said we have a ton of holes. I respect that though.

When Gruden came in, he not only watched every single game of the prior season, but literally watched every single practice too from the prior season.

4-12 shows this isn't a guarantee of success.

But it does show me that we at least have two guys who are putting in the hours to get there.

I stole this quote from Mcd5's "Something Positive" entry and put it here to make an observation.

McLovin has, as I expected, watched all our games from this past season. Good, since he's stated he's strong film guy in making player judgements.

One of the judgements he has made is that we have a lot of holes-an observation I don't think many Redskins would find inaccurate.

The observation I want to make is that I think this broadens what we need to include in the list of possible draft picks we might see, not just in the first round but in succeeding rounds as well. In other words look for BPA to be the rule rather than the exception.

That's all I'm saying, and sorry to get on a rant, but that term has always been a huge pet peeve of mine.

"Drafting with an emphasis on BPA" works.

""Drafting BPA as long as it isn't the exact same position we've already drafted the previous 6 rounds" also works.

There are 22 starting positions that need to be filled first. No one just drafts BPA.

I just hate the blanket BPA statement.

lets say we do take Amari cooper in the first you and a few others would go haywire but we fill a hole that will be there after this season and avoids scrambling next year

lets say we do take Amari cooper in the first you and a few others would go haywire but we fill a hole that will be there after this season and avoids scrambling next year

I would suggest the hole is there this off-season...I just don't see us carrying Garcon's number for 2015.

There are so many holes, it little matters what position BPA is. How many positions do we have that couldn't stand to be upgraded.

I would suggest the hole is there this off-season...I just don't see us carrying Garcon's number for 2015.

I wonder what the trade market is for Garcon. He is still a great player, so this isn't dumping off an over the hill player. I would think probably a mid round pick is the best. It would be nice to get something for him rather than just dumping him for nothing.

I wonder what the trade market is for Garcon. He is still a great player, so this isn't dumping off an over the hill player. I would think probably a mid round pick is the best. It would be nice to get something for him rather than just dumping him for nothing.
I really think it's contingent upon his willingness to re-work his deal. He saw a drop off in production nearly 45%. I know it wasn't all on him, but I think he is 9 million on the cap next year, 68 receptions for under 800 yards does not warrant that kind of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.