• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

McCloughan's draft plan

So, does the best player available also include talent on the team already?

Say for instance, that a guy on the team grades out as a 'blue chip' player by whatever parameters Scot uses and he uses the same parameters to grade an equally 'blue chip' draft prospect at the same position. (assuming that similar age, wear and tear are among those parameters)

Does he go ahead and draft that prospect or does he draft the next best 'blue chip' draft prospect who is not quite as highly regarded overall?

Fortunately for Scot, this scenario probably won't come up too often in the near future.

Say for instance, that a guy on the team grades out as a 'blue chip' player by whatever parameters Scot uses and he uses the same parameters to grade an equally 'blue chip' draft prospect at the same position. (assuming that similar age, wear and tear are among those parameters)

Does he go ahead and draft that prospect or does he draft the next best 'blue chip' draft prospect who is not quite as highly regarded overall?

Fortunately for Scot, this scenario probably won't come up too often in the near future.

meaning does he draft an LT?

Good teams always seem to have a viable replacement for players on the most part should they go down I doubt we draft a left tackle in the first but maybe third or fourth round and let him sit for a few years learning the offense

Scot is preaching patience but I have to wonder how that will translate to fans who want to win now?

That's another good point on BPA.

If a young Andrew Luck is your starting QB, you obviously aren't drafting BPA QB in the first round. You may try to trade back, but you'd focus more on a need.

I'm not saying we won't go after him, or that it would be a bad idea, but if you got anything from yesterday's presser it's that McLovin is not a big free agency advocate. The fact that he's so young might alter the equation, but I think we're going to see much more discipline and hesitancy related to free agency than we've ever seen here. If there's any hint of prior injury (or coming off injury), if the FA is approaching 30, I don't think there is a chance we'll go there.

With Houston (and other defensive players) I think some of our strategy will depend on whether we continue with a 3-4 (if we do, that makes Houston more attractive since that's what KC plays).

I agree. I took a look at the list of FA players, and he stands out due to his young age. It sounds like the kind of FA he would go after, unlike some of the older guys on the rest of the list.

I'm on board with our new GM. That being said, I'd like to take a break for a second to dream about what could be possible if we still approached FA with reckless abandon.

Suh in the middle. Kerrigan on one side, and Justin Houston on the other. RIP opposing QBs.

Now, back to a more intelligent reality.

With a draft you should always look long term not instant starters so an Amari Cooper draft at our position would make since leave him behind our other 3 guys and let him grow into the position
or it could make since to draft one of the QBs and let him grow into the position like San Diego did I see nothing wrong with letting a guy sit on the bench a year or 2 to learn

Silent Threat said:
meaning does he draft an LT?

Well if he grades our LT lower because of 'whatever' than the guy in the available in the draft then what's the answer....yes?
Let them compete.

If the new guy grades out similarly to Trent then next best prospect, I presume.

But, if the new guy is that good then maybe get him and creatively work on the Oline with two real studs. Silly I know but this is where BPA presents the conundrum.

Now if the 'next' best prospect addresses 'a need' in this scenario then I'm in the camp of go-for-it.

With a draft you should always look long term not instant starters so an Amari Cooper draft at our position would make since leave him behind our other 3 guys and let him grow into the position
or it could make since to draft one of the QBs and let him grow into the position like San Diego did I see nothing wrong with letting a guy sit on the bench a year or 2 to learn

A concept lost around Redskins park for a long time. Depth. Nobody's job is guaranteed. Having a guy at the bottom of the depth chart that can continue to work hard and push the starters does nothing but good. These are professionals. Even the QB position should be earned, not given.

I'm on board with our new GM. That being said, I'd like to take a break for a second to dream about what could be possible if we still approached FA with reckless abandon.

Suh in the middle. Kerrigan on one side, and Justin Houston on the other. RIP opposing QBs.

If those are your dreams, you aren't on board with our new GM. Because he does not believe in building through free agency.

Well if he grades our LT lower because of 'whatever' than the guy in the available in the draft then what's the answer....yes?
Let them compete.

If the new guy grades out similarly to Trent then next best prospect, I presume.

But, if the new guy is that good then maybe get him and creatively work on the Oline with two real studs. Silly I know but this is where BPA presents the conundrum.

Now if the 'next' best prospect addresses 'a need' in this scenario then I'm in the camp of go-for-it.

Right. I threw that out there because Trent is one of the few, if not the ONLY , Blue Chipper we got. I'd love to see us take another stud LT because most of the best can play both sides. Not to mention it means you've got a stud back there in case something happens to Trent. In addition to that, he's going to be training under one of the best, and in 5 years when Trents play has slowed, then you've got your stud behind him in his prime.

My bet is, the BPA available model is applicable to certain positions of need. If you are GB, NE, or SEA, then it is a true BPA. But here, there are just too many position of need at starters, let along depth. So when he says BPA, my get is, BPA. given four or five positions of need. JMO.

I agree. I took a look at the list of FA players, and he stands out due to his young age. It sounds like the kind of FA he would go after, unlike some of the older guys on the rest of the list.

Not necessarily. A 25 year old with a 4 year record like Houston's is going to demand a king's ransom in FA, limiting what we can do elsewhere. And that's likely one of the reasons why McLovin believes in building through the draft. Because we aren't limited by cost in doing so. If we could somehow get him at a value price, yeah...but I see no way that's possible.

We've spent the last 15 years doing this. Exactly this. Every effing time we tell ourselves it will be different because they are younger, our new FO person actually knows how to pick talent, our schemes are better with our new coach, etc, etc, etc. It never ****ing works. EVER. Not once has everything come together as flawlessly as I imagine it in my dreams. Not once.

It all looks good on paper, yet we ALWAYS end up regretting it. ALWAYS. I'm done with it. If we never brought another free agent in again, I'd be happy. If this cat can get us focused on the draft, then hallelujah!

We've spent the last 15 years doing this. Exactly this. Every effing time we tell ourselves it will be different because they are younger, our new FO person actually knows how to pick talent, our schemes are better with our new coach, etc, etc, etc. It never ****ing works. EVER. Not once has everything come together as flawlessly as I imagine it in my dreams. Not once.

It all looks good on paper, yet we ALWAYS end up regretting it. ALWAYS. I'm done with it. If we never brought another free agent in again, I'd be happy. If this cat can get us focused on the draft, then hallelujah!

Good teams like SEA, GB, PITT, NE, etc ... Dabble in free agency, but do not use it as a core foundation to build a roster. We have. It has failed miserably. Many times, we simply get guys coming in here for pay days and they often fail to live up tot the cash dumped to them or the expectations. Free agency should supplement roster growth through the draft and finding gems from undrafted rookies. That's what I heard from GMSM and I agree.

Good teams like SEA, GB, PITT, NE, etc ... Dabble in free agency, but do not use it as a core foundation to build a roster. We have. It has failed miserably. Many times, we simply get guys coming in here for pay days and they often fail to live up tot the cash dumped to them or the expectations. Free agency should supplement roster growth through the draft and finding gems from undrafted rookies. That's what I heard from GMSM and I agree.

They also have a different philosophy established. NE can get a guy like Revis and he falls in line with the mold of the team. Pitt can get an Emanuel Sanders. Big name FA come here, get paid and leave. The franchise has had a foundation of that mentality and we need to change it. I think we are going in the right direction, and the best thing we can do is be relatively quiet in FA.

They also have a different philosophy established. NE can get a guy like Revis and he falls in line with the mold of the team. Pitt can get an Emanuel Sanders. Big name FA come here, get paid and leave. The franchise has had a foundation of that mentality and we need to change it. I think we are going in the right direction, and the best thing we can do is be relatively quiet in FA.

Absolutely agree. Been waiting for this philosophy since all the ill advised signings sometime agp, like Deion, Jeff George, etc. some of the free agent signing actually pan out, but the majority do not. I would not advocate complete quiet in free agency, but no big bucks. Use it to get some real good depth guys,

Absolutely. I don't want SILENCE in FA. I wouldn't mind silence in media regarding FA. Find a guy, like a guy, sign a guy.

Not necessarily. A 25 year old with a 4 year record like Houston's is going to demand a king's ransom in FA, limiting what we can do elsewhere. And that's likely one of the reasons why McLovin believes in building through the draft. Because we aren't limited by cost in doing so. If we could somehow get him at a value price, yeah...but I see no way that's possible.

Where'd we get the nickname McLovin? Just cause it's similar name?

Yes, but the term is not accurate.

If by a wild chance a WR is the BPA every single time our pick comes up, then guess what? We aren't drafting 7 WRs and we aren't drafting BPA.

No one in the example above would ever draft BPA. *Ends rant*
That's because the example above would never happen.

Actually, from what I understand, we used his freelance services to get some draft strategy this past draft... he might have a better idea then we know. I'm sure he doesn't have a complete knowledge... yet. We may never know, but it is interesting to think about if he pointed out guys like Breeland and found him.
True. He may have also pointed out Moses and Long. But they've already been determined as busts, by parts of the fan base.

I think it's pretty clear the more you hear from guys like Bruce Allen that this franchise hasn't had an organized, disciplined structure, plan, and process to set up a winning organization since Gibbs I. We are a mess. Some of the stuff coming out of the Vinny Cerrato camp is just downright embarassing.
With all due respect, when did Vinny Cerrato become the pillar of believability?

I'd keep NFL sack leader Justin Houston on your radars.

He's only 25 years old, and he's a FA. We can give him Orakpo's money and let him and Kerrigan commit borderline felonies on opposing QBs all season.

He's young, and he had 22 sacks last season. 2 more than JJ Watt.
As others have said, this cat, if he even hits the market, is gonna be the prize of a bidding war. We simply can't afford it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.