• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Building a team, with what we currently have

Bottom line, we need good football players. Unless we draft a kicker at #5, I'm pretty sure I won't be too upset. Lots to take place between now and the draft.

Mr. McGlue has to determine the guys he wants to keep. The guys he can live with if we can't replace them. The guys that cap penalties will force us to keep. And the guys that are gone, even if they offer to play for free.

Then, depending on who the next DC is, and whatever moves he intends to make. My guess is we'll be keeping the 3-4. But maybe the new DC will want to move Kerrigan, or Murphy inside. Making OLB a big need. Though I hope somehow, someway, if we are going to keep the 3-4, we can nail down a bona fide NT what scares the bejeezus out of interior Olinemen.

Anywho, I'm just hoping for some bad asses.

This is where I am. The more I read about this cat, the more I trust his judgment. If he says the top 5 pick needs to be an OLB, my eyebrows are gonna go up in shock, but I'll trust the guy. His track record is so far beyond anything we've had in Ashburn since Beathard it's ridiculous. And I know he will whiff on his fair share, but his track record demands patience and trust. We need football players. Good ones. At this point, we needs lots of them, all over the field. This guy can help us get them.

This is where I am. The more I read about this cat, the more I trust his judgment. If he says the top 5 pick needs to be an OLB, my eyebrows are gonna go up in shock, but I'll trust the guy. His track record is so far beyond anything we've had in Ashburn since Beathard it's ridiculous. And I know he will whiff on his fair share, but his track record demands patience and trust. We need football players. Good ones. At this point, we needs lots of them, all over the field. This guy can help us get them.

I'm with ya Goal. While I argue for d-line....I'm happy whatever direction we go so long as there is a strategic plan guiding the thinking.

It's a good move. Let's see how it plays out. For example, can the Danny keep his hands out of the soup? Will the fans be able to put up with a couple more sub .500 seasons?

I still have reservations, Tr1. For instance, I think there is probably still a void of leadership in the FO. I am hoping Scot can help with that, but if he is reporting to Bruce, who is reporting to Dan, I think we still have a problem. To me, Bruce is not a leader, but an ambassador or something. I think this was a terrific step in the right direction, but I'm still skeptical of the overall direction of the franchise.

Having shitty seasons won't bother me a bit, as long as we see progress and player development.

Goal, I'm just curious. What "overall direction" do you think we're on?

I'm not sure we have a direction. Bruce's press conference was horrific. Just horrific. We know from past exposure how great Dan is at that sort of thing. So I think we're putting an awful lot of hope as a fanbase into Scot's basket that he can not only find talent (which he appears excellent at), but also provide leadership and direction (which is a complete unknown with him). I completely understand why people brush this argument off because it is incredibly difficult to measure and objectify, but IMO (which means nothing), we've had a dearth of leadership at Redskins Park for years, and it shows. Employees operate in a toxic culture of fear and frustration, never knowing what will happen next.

We as fans have had a bad habit of putting the "savior" mantle on people and assuming they are going to turn the franchise around. Scot is the BEST talent evaluator we've had here in decades; that doesn't mean he can turn the toxicity around. I hope he can, but that is not yet in evidence, imo.

I think we might be blowing the significance of a press conference just a little out of proportion.

I happen to think Bruce Allen is a smarmy, oily and utterly ineffective public speaker. I just don't think that has a whole lot to do with whether or not the organization is headed in the right direction or not on the field. Dan Snyder finally did the one thing we've all screamed for for 15 years---hire a legitimate football guy as GM. That alone is the best "directional" course-correction this franchise has made since the end of the Gibbs I era.

On a less macro-, but almost equally optimistic outlook level, the team has also finally jettisoned the worst defensive coordinator it was ever had.

Taking an objective view on the State of the Franchise today, versus, say, a month ago, seems to me one has to be pretty dug into a position not to see recent events as anything other than positive?

The moves are certainly positive. Whether or not they change the on the field results is ultimately left to be seen. We have all learned there are never any givens when it comes to the Redskins. But those two moves are reasons to hope.

I think we might be blowing the significance of a press conference just a little out of proportion.

I happen to think Bruce Allen is a smarmy, oily and utterly ineffective public speaker. I just don't think that has a whole lot to do with whether or not the organization is headed in the right direction or not on the field. Dan Snyder finally did the one thing we've all screamed for for 15 years---hire a legitimate football guy as GM. That alone is the best "directional" course-correction this franchise has made since the end of the Gibbs I era.

On a less macro-, but almost equally optimistic outlook level, the team has also finally jettisoned the worst defensive coordinator it was ever had.

Taking an objective view on the State of the Franchise today, versus, say, a month ago, seems to me one has to be pretty dug into a position not to see recent events as anything other than positive?

Couple of things. First, I'm happy about Scot (and ecstatic about Haz), and it has increased my mood and optimism ten-fold from a month ago.

But the second thing kinda dovetails into the first. I was, personally, at a REALLY low point in my Redskins fandom a month ago. The garbage that we saw on the field this season, after the mismanagement of Griffin (culminating in a possible ruination of his career) was just awful. I saw no reason to hope at all. Now, it's better. But I feel like I've deja'd this vu a few times before. Seems to me like Shanahan was supposed to take us to the promised land with his superior coaching. Hell, this time last year, we were told by many media types and people on this board that Jay Gruden walked on water and would "fix" Griff for us. I think Gruden even said something to that effect.

So I'm optimistic-er, I'm happier than I was, but it's gonna take me a while to be a homer again. I hear CT say that the Zorn years did it for him, and I never really understood that. I get it now. Last year sucked, and I think long term we will get better. But there is something rotten in Redskins Park, and I have put my hope in one person so many times before that it's just emotionally easier to reserve judgment and excitement until we start winning again.

So yeah, those people who can get pumped up and excited about the team every year, hat's off to them. They will experience a greater joy during the winning seasons than I probably will. But my lows won't be as low either, for me personally. Cause this team was making my life miserable, and some things just ain't worth it.

Well, we're talking about two different things. Sounds like we're all in agreement that the "overall direction" arrow, given the new GM and the former DC is pointing north. Considering where we've been, I'm okay with taking a minute to look around and say, "cool." :)

Of course it doesn't guarantee success. And no one's talking reversing mental gears in one smooth motion from the "we suck and probably always will" place we were a month ago to being a homer or calling "championship!" But it is a moment in time worth both noting and taking some well-deserved comfort and satisfaction in, at least for a while ... yes?

I think we're talking about hope, and the desire to not do so too much, out of a sense of self-preservation. I think Scot is absolutely a move worthy of hope, and have felt that myself. I also think I'm am not ready to invest emotionally full time yet. I think looking around and acknowledging it is a good move is terrific, and feel I have done that. At that point, saying that I personally want to wait and see before I jump in the deep end of the hope-filled swimming hole seems reasonable. At least to me.

That is your prerogative, brother.

Me, I figure life is too short not to smile every chance I get.

I dont think anyone is jumping into a hope filled swimming pool around here. What I do think is that people are witnessing a first in the Dan Snyder Era. My personal excitement about the move has almost nothing to do with Scot McCloughan specifically, and more with the appreciation for the move at it's core. This move doesn't happen if Snyder doesn't look in the mirror one day and say "I've been doing this the wrong way." Right now, January 12th 2015, the Redskins are in better shape from a foundation standpoint then they've been in 20+ years. Is this the end all be all? Nope. Scot could come in here and fall on his face.... OR he could come in here and do what he did with 2 other franchises. Who knows? I agree not everything is fixed, but this is the most I've looked forward to March 10 as well as the Draft in MANY years.

Yep. And I think holding back a little hope when it comes to the Redskins will cause me to be able to smile more readily in other, more important, parts of my life.

While I agree with you, it ain't the Redskins that has made me smile in a long time.

And while I won't discount the move to get McLovin (I actually think it's an outstanding move) I also realize this team needs to do more than Hire A Guy. I hope the team has finally realized that as well.

We will see. That's the best I can do right now. We will see.

Abandon all hope, ye who.... [insert pun here]

Yeah. I'm to a point where I don't think it matters who they bring in... anywhere... or draft or hire from the FA pool. I think our culture is pure poison to this point. Whatever advancements we've made have been reversed by season end, or by the following season. It's like quicksand. As soon as we have a footing somewhere, the other foot falls off it's perch and sinks into the void again.

I think it goes beyond football and into the team's everyday existence. They need mojo, voodoo, head shrinking! And plenty of it. Until this organziation forgets who they are and learns to be something better, the X's & O's of football operations won't matter one iota.

The way I see it NONE of the current DL will be starting here when the Redskins next make the playoffs and on the OL I would think only Trent Williams is likely to be there.

Recall that between that 1980 season under Pardee at 6-10 and the Super Bowl in 1982, only two starters remained the same on the lines, George Starke at LT and Dave Butz at DT.

The rest of both lines were replacements.

You are going to see that here now.

McGlue needs to have a draft like Beathard's in 1979 & 1981. Which were his best, overall. These two, combined, are probably better than all his others, combined.

Beathard's 1981 was phenomenal. And never repeated.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin', brothers.

Hail.

Thank you, tr1, for tirelessly providing the radical extreme negative baseline. It's a useful service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.