• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Would You Rather Lose the Team for Three Years and Get a New Owner, or Status Quo?

Which would you rather have?

• Status Quo

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • New Owner, New Team, 3-5 Years of no football

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
So, all hypothetical of course, let's say our choice mattered at all. Say you could vote on the following two options:

-Status Quo

-Snyder moves the team to LA (where they become the LA Assholes, and lose all Redskins History - ala the Browns), we lose professional football in DC for 3-5 years, then get an expansion team back in Washington, call them the Redskins and keep our history (again, ala the Browns).

Of course, we don't know who the new owner would be...

Poll coming.

Nope..I'm a redskins fan. Move the team lose me as a fan.

i dont think that's the question... the question is, IF we had the option to allow Snyder to move the franchise and change the name, forfeiting football in Washington for 3 - 5 years.. knowing that within that time frame we would get a NEW franchise with all the same colors/logo's but different owner, would you do it. Basically would you give up 5 years of Washington Redskins football if we could ensure Snyder is gone.

It's an interesting notion.. i heard a local radio guy talking about it the weekend of the Giants game and it makes ya think. I dont know if i could go that long without my team, but it might be worth it.

Yeah because it's worked out so well in Cleveland.

:movefast:

So..you're saying move the team. But you think putting an expansion would be the same?

I don't. There is no need to move the team for any reason. As Brian said..look at Cleveland. They were on the brink of being great..but instead they're heartbroken again and suck again.

No thanks. I'll keep this team and deal with the mess.

Dunno, highly doubtful that 'Redskins', once cleaned off the NFL books would ever be allowed to reappear but the dream of Snyder finding 'happiness' somewhere else is somewhat appealing. Perhaps a Colts/Ravens thing would be more likely.

Like Mike, it would be a tough sell for me as well, this team is the Redskins.

It depends what you mean, Tom. This is definitely not the Redskins I grew up watching. That died right after my Senior year of High School and Joe Gibbs had his first retirement. The only thing in-common with those teams is the name and none of that will change as long as Dan Snyder owns this team. Just don't have the confidence in his ability to put the right people in-charge.

Nick

Yes, but I doubt the new team would be called the Redskins. I think they'd likely start with another name.

I'd also give up the name of the team if it meant winning three SBs in the next five years, or making the playoffs 7 of the next ten years.

I don't think that would bother me, either. My emotional connection to this current regime just isn't the same and they won't change. Then again, I was born before the Senators moved to Texas, so...

Nick

Three years would be plenty of time for me to get over watching NFL football. I'd be completely done and would never look back.

A hypothetical is something that could conceivably occur. This will never occur in my opinion.

A hypothetical is something that could conceivably occur. This will never occur in my opinion.

I'm not sure, but I doubt that any team in the league lost money this season. With revenue sharing, I'm not even sure 5,000 people need to be in the stadium to turn a profit. That isn't the case in MLB. The Marlins won the World Series years ago and actually lost a ton of money that season. They broke the team up the following year.

Where this could conceivably happen is if an owner could potentially make even more money in the new city, such as what we are seeing right now about teams in talks to move to LA. Then an owner might bite.

I'm not sure, but I doubt that any team in the league lost money this season. With revenue sharing, I'm not even sure 5,000 people need to be in the stadium to turn a profit. That isn't the case in MLB. The Marlins won the World Series years ago and actually lost a ton of money that season. They broke the team up the following year.

Where this could conceivably happen is if an owner could potentially make even more money in the new city, such as what we are seeing right now about teams in talks to move to LA. Then an owner might bite.

An owner whose team is not one of the givers in the system.

Why would snyder want to leave for more money when he's a billionaire and a fan of the Washington redskins?

He's a fan of this team, this city, and everything here. I don't see how anything you suggest could even remotely cross the owners mind, McD.

It depends what you mean, Tom. This is definitely not the Redskins I grew up watching. That died right after my Senior year of High School and Joe Gibbs had his first retirement. The only thing in-common with those teams is the name and none of that will change as long as Dan Snyder owns this team. Just don't have the confidence in his ability to put the right people in-charge.

Nick

I hear ya, Gibbs' first retirement, free agency, salary cap, guaranteed money and parity have left me colder as well but I was a 'little' older when it happened so the emotional hit was probably less defining. (Otto Graham was coaching and RFK was called DC Stadium when I was a HS senior)

I generally still enjoy NFL games as a fan but the emotional intensity, when the Skins play, does peg the dial simply because they are still my Skins, even without the same attachment from years of old.

Yeah, Snyder has made a mess of it. The premise that actually paying players premium amounts would yield better results backfired. The players were happy, the agents were happy and Snyder could get 'his man' with the offers. Sometimes, however, 'getting paid' left the desire to perform on the field lacking. This is the character part of the equation of a player that I always concern myself with.

Some players have that 'want to' regardless of pay rate, they'll bust their asses to get ready, kill their asses on the field and keep on going thereafter.
Others get paid and that's it, they may have prepped their status with work to get paid but once there, they begin to slough-off the grind that got them there or they take on that do-it-their way or it ain't gonna get done. (entitlement).

I have no problem with Snyder paying his guys, actually like the idea. They've quite often misjudged who and when they pay, too many times it's been the latter type player. Most of the Gibbs1 guys seemed to be the former type, the lesser talents busted butts to stay on the team and the talented guys (and not all were boy scouts) busted their butts to stay on top and were ego driven enough to succeed at their game. (and all could be given walking papers with little to no compensation).

Finding those 'want to' talented guys is the biggie, getting them needs to be the new football guy's job, keeping them around might be Allen's forte'.

Who that football guy is, I don't know. Whether or not Snyder et. al. are capable of finding one... don't know either but I agree with the general consensus that one needs to be found.

We haven't had football here for 16+ years.:bigcry: I think we could live without it for another 3-5 years. I agree the name would never be allowed to resurface in the NFL though. A small price to pay to be shut of Lord Farquaad I say.

I'd also give up the name of the team if it meant winning three SBs in the next five years, or making the playoffs 7 of the next ten years.
Well shoot fire and save matches!

Why not just throw all your Redskins paraphernalia in the dumpster and pick a new team already?

If the Redskins aren't named the Washington Redskins anymore, then what's the use?

Here's what you do:

Get out your coffee pot and brew a strong pot of coffee- no decaf

Call up a friend and have him take your car keys, cause you're in no condition to drive anywhere.

Pour cup of coffee and drink.

Continue until sober.

:joker:

I hope this doesn't turn into a Boston Red Sox type situation where I am 85 years old going to a game and being interviewed by a 30 year old about how I was one of the only remaining people there when the Redskins won a Super Bowl decades earlier :laugh:

But it's been 20 years already. A whole generation of Redskins' fans have grown up knowing nothing but mismanagement and ridicule around the league about the franchise and its owner.

I used to walk through airports with a Redskins baseball cap on in the 1980's and early 1990's and people would tell me what a great coach we had or how well we were doing during the season.

Now, you get sympathy from Dallas fans and 49ers fans who don't even look at your team as a rival any longer.

I hope this doesn't turn into a Boston Red Sox type situation where I am 85 years old going to a game and being interviewed by a 30 year old about how I was one of the only remaining people there when the Redskins won a Super Bowl decades earlier :laugh:

But it's been 20 years already. A whole generation of Redskins' fans have grown up knowing nothing but mismanagement and ridicule around the league about the franchise and its owner.

I used to walk through airports with a Redskins baseball cap on in the 1980's and early 1990's and people would tell me what a great coach we had or how well we were doing during the season.

Now, you get sympathy from Dallas fans and 49ers fans who don't even look at your team as a rival any longer.

Redskins' fans have been through this before...if they're old enough. The late 30's and 40 were glorious while the 50 and 60's were horrible. Finally we got Lombardi and then Allen here and the culture changed. We have 3-4 more year of this, then Snyder will finally fire Bruce Allen, hire someone who can turn this ship around once and for all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.