• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cheap wine

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
{To preface this, I have used searched engines on this, only to get conflicting answers.}

I can get a bottle of wine at my local grocery store for under $3.
It tastes decent. Has a similar effect as the others.
But I can't help but wonder.
What exactly is inferior about $3 bottle of wine, compared to the "average" bottle ?
Other than not being aged as long, and the fact that you'll probably be frowned upon
for bringing a $3 bottle of wine to a party, is there a major difference ?
I don't taste the difference.
So, the only other difference I can think of, is a possible compromise in the quality of ingredients...
or the way it is processed/distilled, etc. Since there is no noticeable difference right after drinking it,
is cheap wine made in a compromised way, that it makes it even unhealthier than other wines ?

Fear, when I was in the restaurant biz in South Florida, the sommelier I worked with told me this about wine when I first started working for him. It all comes down to your palate. If you like, then that's all that matters. A funny thing to say from a guy who regularly sold bottles of wine for several hundred bucks a pop.

Sorry Fear, rereading my post I sure sound like a prick. :)

El is absolutely right. From my perspective, I find the mass-produced, cheaper wines flat and bland. The difference, for me, between a $5 and $30 bottle of wine is night and day. The more expensive wines are deeper, my with more complexity of flavor, and they really complement the food, if paired correctly. For instance, we had a nice $25 bottle of Cab Franc with Steak au Poivre a while back, and the wine really enhanced the beef flavor and the pepper notes. Really great meal.

But the bottom line is that Brian is right. Your palette is all that matters. One of our favorite wineries is about ten minutes from home, and we love it because we can get one of our top-3 reds for $18, and our all time favorite white for $16. Those happen to be in our Pantheon, but we've shared with friends and they have been ambivalent. It all comes down to what you like.

:laugh: Fear, were you trolling for wine snobs?

...and now I sound like a douchbag. I'm leaving this thread now.

If you can't taste a difference, I don't think I can help you. :)

Sorry Fear, rereading my post I sure sound like a prick. :)

Nah, at least you were a smiling prick, so that counts for something :). I knew you were joking, and I knew the serious side of your message you were saying, as well.

El is absolutely right. From my perspective, I find the mass-produced, cheaper wines flat and bland. The difference, for me, between a $5 and $30 bottle of wine is night and day. The more expensive wines are deeper, my with more complexity of flavor, and they really complement the food, if paired correctly. For instance, we had a nice $25 bottle of Cab Franc with Steak au Poivre a while back, and the wine really enhanced the beef flavor and the pepper notes. Really great meal.

But the bottom line is that Brian is right. Your palette is all that matters. One of our favorite wineries is about ten minutes from home, and we love it because we can get one of our top-3 reds for $18, and our all time favorite white for $16. Those happen to be in our Pantheon, but we've shared with friends and they have been ambivalent. It all comes down to what you like.

What about health-wise ?
Are you familiar with what is specifically different about the production of "mass-produced, cheaper wines", that would make them less healthy than the more expensive wines ?

:laugh: Fear, were you trolling for wine snobs?

Well, I didn't really expect "wine snobs" here in these parts, since football fans tend to mostly be "beer snobs", so I wasn't worried about that.
Just looking for anyone who knew more about the production of wine, than me.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't really expect "wine snobs" here in these parts, since football fans tend to mostly be "beer snobs", so I wasn't worried about that.
Just looking for anyone who knew more about the production of wine, than me.

Are you stereotyping football fans??? ;)

As far as wine goes, my wife knows a good deal about it but I don't. I usually will have a glass with her so I can see if I like it or not.

The only thing I don't like about cheap wine.....

is the cheap cork-screws they put in them,

Because the damn cork-screws fall apart when you try to plug up the unfinished bottle of wine, and pieces of cork fall into the wine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.