• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Redskins could win Sunday...

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I picked the Saints, and I think the odds are better than 3-1 that we get absolutely annihilated. But if we're going to pull an upset, this and the Cowboys game are our best opportunities. The Saints cannot fear this team. They will say the right things, 'any given Sunday...' 'the Redskins have a great defense....', 'they're better than their record....'

Blah.
Blah.
Blah.

But in their hearts, they know we are a pretty awful football team right now, and they have the most potent offense the NFL has seen since The Greatest Show on Turf. We know it. They sure as HELL know it.

That kind of self-knowledge breeds one thing - overconfidence. It's unavoidable.

If the Redskins show up and play, they've got a defense that can't stop, but could slow the NFL's most prolific offense. Drew Brees is about a year past due for a bad bad game. The Saints are coming off a highly emotional win, perhaps the biggest game they'll play short of a division championship or SB game this year. And they won in dominant fashion over a previously dominant and arrogant team, the Patriots. It's a short week for them. And they're travelling to DC to what could be a wet, slippery, sloshy kind of a game.

Do I really, really think these Redskins will beat arguably the best team the 2009 NFL season has to offer?

Nope. I don't. I think we're going to get handled, maybe even embarrassed. The Saints are that good. I picked them to win easily.

But will I be surprised if the lowly, hapless Redskins pull a shocker?

I won't. The stars are as perfectly aligned for a Saints letdown as you could want them. The Redskins, although hapless, have been plucky of late. They might just be plucky enough to create the biggest story of this coming NFL Sunday.

It could happen.

Last edited:
You're just trying to goad people into picking the 'skins so that you can edge up a game in the Pick 'em. ;).

It'd take every upset the rest of the way to move me up the ladder...

I was tempted to have the courage of my convictions on this 'feeling', but my brain kept telling my fingers clicking on 'Redskins' was crazy.

It'd take every upset the rest of the way to move me up the ladder...

I was tempted to have the courage of my convictions on this 'feeling', but my brain kept telling my fingers clicking on 'Redskins' was crazy.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing about goading us. It would take me being right on every upset all year to catch up.

I do however believe I have the same feeling you have. I think New Orleans is primed for an upset (Vikings loss to Tampa 8-8 in 1998).

I pick the Redskins! And I will be there to see it!

I fully expect us to battle neck and neck with them in the first half, especially if we can run the ball and keep their offense off the field. The second half will tell the story. That's where I expect them to pull away. We're just not smart enough offensively to stick to the game plan and push ball control. Once they go up by 10, we'll try to match them by throwing the ball every play and that's where we'll lose it.

Just hoping we can get an out of bounds play on the Saints sideline that knocks Gregg Williams on his arse. The last thing I want to see is him with a smug smile on his face. I'd actually trade a victory over Dallas for the chance to knock the Saints from the ranks of the undefeated. It sure would make this sucky season seem a little brighter.

With the way our defense can play and has been playing, I can see them holding the Saints to a season low. That will still be enough to win by 10 or more points though because I firmly believe Gregg will have the Saints defense primed to do things to this offense Zorn only sees in his worst nightmares and even those might not be as bad the reality of what could happen this Sunday.

Saints 17-6

Article in the TImes today about how GW is stoked for this game. I hhope Jason makes it though

Article in the TImes today about how GW is stoked for this game. I hhope Jason makes it though

As both you and Neo referenced - this is likely the reason they won't overlook us. The Saint's defense will want to win this for Williams.

I think the Saints could have their worst showing of the year, and still sleepwalk through us. I'm just pointing out that if you were the Redskins, you couldn't ask for a more ideal situation to surprise someone than the upcoming game.

Yep. Any given Sunday.

However, I have a confession to make.having been stationed at Keesler for four years, I'm kinda a closet Saints fan. Of course they've been pathetic for years and I got awesome extra cheap tickets to see the Skins play them in the Dome one year. Won't hurt my feelings if they go to the Super Bowl.

Somebody's been dipping into the beer barrel one too many times.........

I understand what you're saying there Boone but like others have mentioned, with Grilliams on the other sideline, I look for him to make a point,as he should. :)

Williams' game plan

Blitz

Blitz

Corner Blitz

Blitz

Blitz

Blitz

Blitz

Read it again Diesel :)

I'm not saying it'll happen. I believe we'll get shellacked by a far superior team. But I don't think we should be shocked if the Redskins surprise them. Other than Williams motivation, it sets up nicely for a Saints letdown.

I think it's very possible.....I still think NO will win.

But with the weather, Haynesworth returning, short week and a MNF dominating win over the Pats....the Saints are due a letdown.

My only issue is our personnel. If Samuels and Cooley were in, maybe Portis and some other starters and Deangelo Hall being healthy, then I'd pick WAS in the pickem. 3rd stringers vs. 11-0 NO looks awfully David vs. Goliath but with Goliath squashing us.

Here's a secret tip however: I've been to 3 of the 5 reg. season home games this year. I'm 3-0 at home and I'm going to this one........:betterwink:
at least 403 will be loud Sunday.

If this was the 2006 or 2007 Saints, with zero defense, I'd say we could upset them, like we did in those years. Unfortunately, this year's Saints play D, and play it well. Sed Ellis is back in lineup, and Darren Sharper has found the fountain of youth on Bourbon Street. Buckle up, gents, this one's gonna be ugly.

I predict the Saints will score at least once on D, probably twice. I'm thinking sack-fumble-TD and a pick 6. Sigh.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Woops, we upset the 2006 and 2008 Saints.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Read it again Diesel :)

I'm not saying it'll happen. I believe we'll get shellacked by a far superior team. But I don't think we should be shocked if the Redskins surprise them. Other than Williams motivation, it sets up nicely for a Saints letdown.

Oh I know...

Just joshin' ya. ;)

The thing I think could be interesting to watch will be the Skins secondary being tested by not only good receivers but a QB with an almost uncanny ability to hit them even when they're covered.

I'd say we have great chance to win if the snow and cold was gameday. Forecast is for sunny and brisk.

This has all the makings of a trap game. Only problem is don't think we're healthy enough to take advantage.

I see this game being interesting early then Saints pulling away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.