• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What I Wouldn't Give to Be a Fly on the Wall at the Allen/Gruden/Snyder Meetings...

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Gruden said today he'd meet with Bruce Allen mid-week, then with Snyder himself next weekend. How eye-opening would it be to sit in on those meetings? I have so many questions...

1. Do Allen and Snyder respect Gruden's wishes or is this going to be nothing more than direction from above?
2. Does Gruden really want Jim Haslett back, or will he tell Allen and Snyder 'I can't win without a real DC at my side'
3. Is Gruden going to campaign to move on from RG3? And if so, how will that be received?
4. Is the message to Gruden 'you've got plenty of time and we're here to support you and build this thing from the ground up' or is it implied threats, pressure, criticism, and second-guessing?
5. Who are the 'great team guys' Gruden wants to stay, and who are the guys he wants to ditch?

I can't answer #1. Allen and Snyder have said the right things the past couple of years, but who knows what the real dynamics are when it comes to decision-making, particularly when dealing with a 1 year first time head coach who has almost no 'juice'?

On question #2, I can't imagine, past friendship and loyalties or not, that Gruden wants to hitch his head coaching success to Jim Haslett's star. The 'worst defensive half of football' you ever saw Gruden, that was vintage Haslett. I think Gruden is a smart guy and has already figured out Haslett has to go. He just doesn't want to be in the room when the axe falls.

I'm uncertain on #3 as well. Gruden's words don't match his demeanor when discussing Griffin. And even the words aren't that complimentary. His comments today that no one has earned the job don't bode well for Griffin - even if they are undeniably accurate. My sense is Gruden doesn't believe in Griffin at the core of it all. But if not Griffin, then who? And therein lies the dilemma. The biggest question on the table is whether sticking with Griffin, or jettisoning him, is even Gruden's call?

#4 - I'm betting there's plenty of implied pressure and threat already going on in the background. If Mike effing Shanahan can't survive a 3 win season, Gruden knows already that another season like this one will have his head on a stake outside Redskins Park. Gruden is not Jim Zorn or Steve Spurrier though - and that's good news. He's got some backbone and an aggressive personality. I suspect under pressure, his instinct will be to politely tell his superiors to worry about contracts and marketing and let him handle the football stuff, rather than wilt under the pressure.

#5 is just a wild guess. But if you held a gun to my head, I think the guys most likely to have worn out their head coach's good will include Griffin, Garcon, Paul, Biggers, Hankerson, Lauvao, Moss, Paulsen, Polumbus, Roberts, Thomas, maybe even Amerson...

So, what do think the conversations will be focused on and what will be the tone?

Once again I have to ask:

Many of us were very pleased to see Gruden supposedly go to the mat against Snyder to bench Griffin. That was a sign that the coach is taking charge of the team.

So what if Gruden wants to retain Haslett? He pretty much just came out and said as much. Are we ok with Snyder and/or Allen over-ruling him? Shouldn't we all be hoping Haslett sticks around now?

He has to show some loyalty to a guy who had gone to bat for him in the past. Allen will be forced to play bad cop in the Hazlet firing. It'll be one of the very few GM - like duties he'll pull off.

Gruden has been criticized about the way he dresses others down in the media. I'm hoping he's just allowing the FO time to weigh in later in the week. Haslett has to go...

Many of us were very pleased to see Gruden supposedly go to the mat against Snyder to bench Griffin. That was a sign that the coach is taking charge of the team.

So what if Gruden wants to retain Haslett? He pretty much just came out and said as much. Are we ok with Snyder and/or Allen over-ruling him? Shouldn't we all be hoping Haslett sticks around now?

Go to You Tube and watch the presser Henry. They asked him repeated questions about Haslett which he dodged and ultimately they cornered him. You can't always speak the truth in public - it's just not possible. He was also very adamant that there would be player AND coaching changes. If I really thought he wanted to keep Haslett, I would let him plead his case - but his record cannot be disputed. He's a young first time head coach, and sometimes, you have to take the matches away from junior.

Just because he benched Griffin against the assumed will of the owner doesn't mean every decision he makes despite the wishes of the owner (or the rest of Redskins Nation) is a good one. No, we should NOT be hoping Haslett sticks around.

Go to You Tube and watch the presser Henry. They asked him repeated questions about Haslett which he dodged and ultimately they cornered him. You can't always speak the truth in public - it's just not possible. He was also very adamant that there would be player AND coaching changes. If I really thought he wanted to keep Haslett, I would let him plead his case - but his record cannot be disputed. He's a young first time head coach, and sometimes, you have to take the matches away from junior.

EeeehhhhI don't really want to watch the presser. :) I'll just go with what you said.

So I guess Gruden is suddenly a diplomat when it comes to Haslett. Okaaay.

It's still kinda odd that Gruden would hem and haw over a guy who's **** the bed for five years here when it's clear he has NO trouble publicly ripping into his players after a much smaller sample size. I'm having a real hard time taking anything away from what Gruden says, other than he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. And if he's at odds with Snyder and Allen over anything it's going to be REAL tough to figure out who to root for.

Has he said anything damming against Griffin after the last game? There absolutely is just cause to be critical of 3 turnovers... 2 ints in the redzone. Maybe Gruden got his point across and also learned that he doesn't need to rip Griff in public.

Gruden may very well like Haslett, but at same time he has to know his reputation and career is on the line. Like others, I see Gruden letting Allen be the bad guy.

I wonder if Allen won't also be announcing Smith will have more control over personnel? Allen has been very quiet in recent weeks, which as GM he should have had a more public presence.

If your ear was against the wall , you know what you would hear in the background?

The melody/theme to 'Three Blind Mice' 😝

Because that's what Snyder, Allen and Gruden are IMO.

Gruden said today he'd meet with Bruce Allen mid-week, then with Snyder himself next weekend. How eye-opening would it be to sit in on those meetings? I have so many questions...

1. Do Allen and Snyder respect Gruden's wishes or is this going to be nothing more than direction from above?

I think they have to respect what he wants to do, at least as far as his staff goes. When it comes to players, I am more open minded about the front office not necessarily doing what the coach wants. Remember, Beathard and Gibbs didn't get along all the time when it came to player acquisition either and Bobby often went against Joe's wishes. Look how that all turned out.

2. Does Gruden really want Jim Haslett back, or will he tell Allen and Snyder 'I can't win without a real DC at my side'

I think he has to let Haslett go. Everyone saw the product on the field, including Allen and Snyder. If he wants the respect of those he works for, Jay has to make the tough call here.

3. Is Gruden going to campaign to move on from RG3? And if so, how will that be received?

No, I don't think he will campaign to move Griff. RGIII is the only legit QB option on the roster right now. I do think he will tell Allen and Snyder that he wants to open competition in the OTAs and Training Camp though. He will want to make Griff earn it and I agree with that idea. Griff has gotten off a bit easy in this league so far...time take the promise away and let him know that the only way to get there is hard work.

4. Is the message to Gruden 'you've got plenty of time and we're here to support you and build this thing from the ground up' or is it implied threats, pressure, criticism, and second-guessing?

The message needs to be the former but I have no clue. It could just as easily be the later, which is sad.

5. Who are the 'great team guys' Gruden wants to stay, and who are the guys he wants to ditch?

My guess is that the list of "great team guys" is really pretty short. Kerrigan and Morris likely top it. Along with guys like Williams, Robinson, Golston, Compton, Young, Helu, and maybe some of the really new, young guys we saw on the field the few weeks.

Lots of tough questions to be answered this off season for sure.

Nothing major will change IMO.

Allen, Gruden, Griffin et al will be back in 2015 to try and climb the hill again.

The team might finally rid itself of the Orakpo contract and confirmed failures such as Tyler Polumbus and Ryan Clark but most of the well known personalities will be back.

Any way you could let me know the winning Mega Millions, and Powerball numbers for tonight and tomorrow?

I did preface by saying 'IMO'.

I don't have any inside information.

If your ear was against the wall , you know what you would hear in the background?

The melody/theme to 'Three Blind Mice' ��

Because that's what Snyder, Allen and Gruden are IMO.

Well, I am of the mind that it just might be the Curly Shuffle...Yeah, that was another trio...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.