• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Off-season: Here We Go Again

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
After a game like that season finale, it's tough to see the positive from a season like this. That was as bad a job of defensive coaching as I have ever seen. Haslett has to go...he just has to. I am convinced our defense is not "that" bad. Given proper coaching and a few additions to the secondary and/or Interior DL, we can be a better team on that side of the ball with a simple change of coaching...the entire defensive staff. Raheem Morris cannot be promoted.

Positives on Defense:

1. Kerrigan must be extended and give the man some money, he could be an elite pass rusher with some help in the middle of the line.

2. Robinson is a baller. He will fill in just fine for London Fletcher in the years to come, provided he can stay healthy.

3. Will Compton has shown he can fill in, kid has a nose for the football.

4. Breeland can be the best 4th round pick we've ever had.

We need help in the secondary and/or the interior DL help. However, I am convinced we can be much better on defense with a better defensive coordinator.

Here we are again, going into the off-season with critical needs along the OL. Our guards are as bad as there are in the NFL. Chester is old and slow and gets blown up at the point of attack way too often. Lavauo? He sucks!

I said it in chat and I have suggested as much in this forum...I would not be opposed to the 1st 3 rounds of the draft being used on OL. If the success of ****ing Dallass is not proof enough, I do not know what is. Our OL is our achilles heal, no other positions on the field are as bad as the Guards. Compton is not that good, but he is an improvement over Polumbus. There are 3 positions along our OL where the personnel we have would not start on any team in the NFL other than our's.

Looks like Garcon is probably too expensive to keep...9 million next year? Moss is likely gone, too. We will need to either feel comfortable with Ryan Grant stepping up in the off-season or find a WR.

Offensive Positives:

1. Alfred Morris remains one of the best in the league. Give that man an OL.

2. Darrell Young is football player!

3. Desean Jackson is the best Free Agent we have acquired in a long time.

Just one starter from draft along the OL would not be too much to ask. High draft picks for OL usually result in starters.

QB? Not gonna touch that one other to say, if we give Robert 16 million for the 5th year option before the start of the season next year, not much has changed in the front office. That is too much money to spend on any player with such uncertainty.

I'd love to keep Helu here as well. He comes out of the backfield with explosion and moves that has earned him the YAC he has.

I like Paul and Reed but I don't think either one is elite. Together they make a good duo but I don't want to sign either to a big deal.

Breeland is rough but could be solid. He has to work on his temper and not doing dumb stuff but he has great potential.

Amerson not so much.

No way I think Griffin gets 16 mil. He's not anywhere close to elite enough to justify that per year. But I want to sign him for a decent kraperneck style contract if possible. I think he's our future and can be a franchise player.

I'd love to keep Helu here as well. He comes out of the backfield with explosion and moves that has earned him the YAC he has.

I like Paul and Reed but I don't think either one is elite. Together they make a good duo but I don't want to sign either to a big deal.

Breeland is rough but could be solid. He has to work on his temper and not doing dumb stuff but he has great potential.

Amerson not so much.

No way I think Griffin gets 16 mil. He's not anywhere close to elite enough to justify that per year. But I want to sign him for a decent kraperneck style contract if possible. I think he's our future and can be a franchise player.

Yeah, I should have included Helu...wouldn't be surprised if they draft another late rounder RB to compete with the youngins like Redd and Thompson for the 3rd RB spot.

The only option we have for Griffin at this point is to carry his 5th year option at that rate or we extend him further. I simply believe they give him one last season to prove himself...if he has a good year next year, extend him then...just can't give him the money a 5th year tender would cost.

We still have Griff under contract through next season, so we can keep him and if he shows out next seasons, look at re-signing him long term.

We still have Griff under contract through next season, so we can keep him and if he shows out next seasons, look at re-signing him long term.

That's what I hope we do. With Dan Snyder, one never knows because he wants to sell tickets and may feel the season ticket holders want more Griffin.

It will be interesting to see what the marketing blitz will feature in the off-season.

I agree with Cooley. If you are going to keep Jordan Reed, you need backup tight ends that are first of all solid blockers at the line of attack. Paul and Paulsen didn't perform well in this area in 2014 and were consistently unable to sustain blocks for Morris. They need to go.

In the backfield Biggers, Clark, Meriweather all have to go. Biggers lacks instinct in coverage while Clark and Meriweather are castoffs that were considered space fillers in the NFL two years ago.

I also agree with Cooley that Perry Riley is overrated by fans and the team. He fails to make plays where he is in position to wrap up the tackle or follow through on the interception. I am really looking forward to the team getting younger on this side of the ball and bringing in some hungry football players with better athleticism.

The Redskins don't have a fast defense and that has been a problem for a few years. We need to get faster in each unit.

We need quicker rushmen up front, we need linebackers that really cover ground and can cover tight ends and backs. We need defensive backs, especially safeties, that can stay with ANYONE in coverage down the field.

On offense the Redskins have skill players that can make plays at WR, RB and TE. We have a left tackle, center and fullback that are solid performers as well.

What we lack on offense are backs that can pass block for the qb. Helu has been blown up in protection repeatedly this year, whiffing on guys that lead to blind side hits on the quarterbacks. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would refuse to have Helu on the team specifically for this reason.

As mentioned, the tight ends behind Reed who is a clear pass catcher, need to be guys that can help us convert short yardage and goal line and hold up in protection. Paul at 6'2 and 225 or so is smaller than Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant, and he is supposed to block Clay Matthews or Von Miller on the edge?

The offensive line needs 2 starting guards and a right tackle. Morgan Moses' lisfranc injury means the team will not have him until late in the preseason. So, we are going to need to dip into free agency or the draft to find a replacement for Tyler Polumbus.

Chester's cap number is prohibitive in 2015 so I don't see any way they bring him back. Lauvao was a poor signing by this front office in the 2014 offseason.

We can't afford to make mistakes on mediocre free agents like Lauvao or older veterans like Hatcher who at 32 will not be here when this team is really ready to contend a couple of seasons from now.

Giving him $10M guaranteed was a mistake.

We don't have a playmaker on the defensive line and I would hope this front office considers using the #1 pick on a selection here or on the OL.

At qb, I think you are obligated to bring RGIII back and give him another season, behind a better line and with a better defense to develop. That's two years in a row he has missed time or been compromised by injuries.

What's ironic is that in the last 2-3 games Gruden did finally start to go modify his offense to account for Griffin's running ability and what that sets up in play action down the field.

You can mix that together with short passes to the backs and intermediate routes to the tight ends, a la Steve McNair in Tennessee in the 2000's, to assemble an effective offensive unit.

RGIII needs to learn to make his drops, read and then throw and not hold the ball.

It's up to him to speed up his decision-making and work harder on his footwork, etc.

On the topic of QBs, are coaches allowed to work with their QBs in the offseason? My concern is that Griffin works with whatever QB guru he uses, and that guy tells him one thing, but then he comes into OTA's and training camp, and Gruden has him doing something else. How much opportunity is there for Gruden to actually work with Griffin?

If Griffin isn't your guy, replace his name with Cousins or McCoy or some other QB. How much time will this coaching staff actually get with these QBs to teach them.

Griffin is one kind of quarterback. Cousins and McCoy fit into other molds.

I really don't see Cousins or McCoy being NFL starting quarterbacks over the long-term. McCoy would be great to bring back as a backup at a reasonable salary.

But if ultimately Griffin is not the answer we are going to have to go outside the organization to find his replacement.

1) Replace Allen as GM with a no. 2 from a top organization.

2) Put in his contract clear stipulations stating that neither Snyder, nor anyone else, are allowed to even give him a funny glance indicating he makes a move he doesn't want to do himself.

3) Win.

Do anything else... can't see any sustained success in our future, unfortunately. Maybe a good year here or there.

I think Allen has taken some heat internally for the personnel decisions in the offseason of 2014 and draft, so that is why AJ Smith has been seen more frequently at Redskins Park.

Whether we want a guy that lives in San Diego to 'commute' to a front office job to help the Redskins part-time, it has to be better than what we have seen.

We drafted two offensive linemen in 2014, Moses and Long, who weren't within a lick of being able to help the team during the season, despite being #3 picks.

In most organizations, your #1-#3 picks come in and make a contribution, even if on a part-time basis.

We never seem to find any gems for the offensive line irrespective of what round they are taken in and that goes back to the beginning of the Shanahan regime.

Unfortunately, we cannot always have a top 5 pick to select a Trent Williams to provide the team a solid front line.

We need prospects.

And we need them in 2015.

Some good comments so far.

Wanted to add that I love the Jeffcoat kid. He seems immune to Hazmats "suck poison", that or hasn't been here long enough to be ruined. I vote to resign!

Sorry, but i just had to....and the lyrics match...fan base to franchise.

The most important off-season acquisition we could make is Scot McCloughan!

Several on that list I'd like to have. Suh, Nick Fairley, Iupati, Reevis. That's the old redskins way of business tho.

Try like hell to trade down and hit with quantity. If no dancing partners take the best O-lineman available other than LT with that first pick.

If we draft a safety with our first round pick, IMO , the draft will already be lost.

Bulldog,in another thread, stated it perfectly when he said : We haven't had a game changing defensive lineman in over a generation.

Think about that. Kenard Lang and Jarvis Jenkins....the last two Dlinemen we've drafted high in the last 20 yrs and nether one were game changers.

If we're going to go D in the first round,that's were it's gotta start,IMO ....upfront.

If we draft a safety with our first round pick, IMO , the draft will already be lost.

Bulldog,in another thread, stated it perfectly when he said : We haven't had a game changing defensive lineman in over a generation.

Think about that. Kenard Lang and Jarvis Jenkins....the last two Dlinemen we've drafted high in the last 20 yrs and nether one were game changers.

If we're going to go D in the first round,that's were it's gotta start,IMO ....upfront.

I've recently found myself leaning in this direction as well. If Leonard Williams is there, we HAVE to take him. Im not sure he will be, but you never know. The latest mock I've found shows the Peat out of Stanford falling to 10. I can't imagine this happens but who knows. If Williams is gone, I'd love to see us trade down, add another high round pick, and pick up one of those O-linemen if they fall.

It's getting depressing every year looking at available FA's versus discussing playoff opponent.

I just hope we don't go after the splash signing and get some good players from winning programs. We need to change the losing culture.

It's getting depressing every year looking at available FA's versus discussing playoff opponent.

I just hope we don't go after the splash signing and get some good players from winning programs. We need to change the losing culture.

Suh? That would be a big name.

I could definitely see us signing Justin Houston. Maybe even a Revis--although I personally don't want Revis.

The situation we're in right now is exactly why I was against getting rid of Shanahan. I almost knew this was going to happen. Most everyone is for blowing up the entire team after Shanahan spent 4 years rebuilding it. Everybody was wanting to go nuts last year, but I honestly haven't read or heard one person mention that he had this team playing as well as it ever has in 20+ years the year before in 2012. If Robert doesn't get re-injured we beat Seattle and had a legit shot at winning it all. We were on fire and playing as well as any team in the league.

Now, I'm not saying Shanahan was building a dynasty, but he was building a respectable roster with depth and bringing in high quality character guys. With his years of experience he at least had an eye for who could play and who couldn't. Now, we have a rookie HC and a contract guy in B Allen making final decisions on the roster. What a joke! It was absolutely ridiculous to not give him his final year considering the cap penalty and the picks we gave up for Robert. For B Allen to justify the move by saying "we want someone with some urgency" is the exact reason no respectable coach will touch this job.

Only in DC is a 2 time super bowl winning HC and probably one of the top 5 offensive coordinators, maybe top 3 in league history, not good enough. I'm honestly a hair away from saying screw this franchise for ever and screw pro football entirely.

:focus:

Where we go from here I guess depends on what approach you want to take, long or short term. I'm going to go with short term because that's what we do in DC. I would throw everything we got including the kitchen table at O line and bring in 4 starters and keep Garcon. This will do two things for sure. 1- we will be able to run the ball consistently. 2- Once in for all determine if RG3 can play if we haven't already ruined him mentally and physically.

As far as defense goes: cut Hatcher, D Hall, B Orakpo(I would try some way to keep him if possible). I don't see the excitement in Murphy. Maybe if he gained 30 pounds and played DE in a 4-3, maybe. As far a Haslett goes, whatever. I don't see us being much better regardless with the talent on that side of the ball.

Bottom line, do whatever we have to do on defense that would allow us to shore up at least one side of the ball on offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.