• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DC Pro Sports Report: Orakpo to DE, Blades to LB?

BGO

According to CBS Rapid Reports, the 13th overall draft pick Brian Orakpo is working more on the defensive line while HB Blades picks up additional time at practices with the starters.* Could this be the logical shift that made sense when Orakpo was drafted?The Redskins have been criticized for putting one of the best , [...]

More...

I only have two questions...

1. What took so long?

2. Is Blades a better choice than Wilson to get these reps at SAM? Not saying Blades is bad, just that he is way undersized for the position.

Actually, in the past couple of games I have noticed Carter lining up on the RDE side of the ball with Orakpo playing LDE. If I am correct, I think Carter's sack last week came from the right side.

The only problem with this is that HB Blades is not big enough to endure as a SAM for an entire season even though he is our 3rd best LB on the team (no offense to Orakpo).

Very happy to see Orakpo getting more snaps as a DE

"The big problems are offensive."

:rotflmao: That line just struck me as punny. Agreed, I find them VERY offensive.

Why, oh why, are the coaches so late to the party? How long have we been saying this? I guess you go with what you know until what you know doesn't work. Then you go with what the fans know. ;)

Karl Swanson said we THINK we know but we don't. I think we've proven we DO know. How do we know? Because we've already seen what the FO and coaches DON'T know.

.....your geekspeak for the day :cool:

I see Wilson as more of a Will linebacker, blitzing and making plays. Blades is small, but I don't think he's too small to last an entire season. Look at Fletcher - he's lasted a million years in the MIDDLE, and he's tiny!!

The Redskins 4-3 alignment won't be able to hold up against the run with Carter, Orakpo and Blades on the field at the same time on a full-time basis.

All are a bit undersized and teams like NY and Dallas with big OL would wear this unit down.

Of course as a situational package only it could work quite effectively.

Orakpo is either a DE in the 4-3 or an OLB in a 3-4.

He is not a traditional SAM in a 4-3. That has been obvious when watching him in coverage.

It will be interesting to see what the next coaching staff does personnel-wise on defense.

Daniels will be gone. Griffin at 33 will be gone. Montgomery will not be tendered. Carter at 30 should be a guy the Redskins attempt to trade for a draft pick.

Some of that I agree with BD...some I wonder about.

I expect the starting lineup for the D-Line next year to be Orakpo at RDE, Haynesworth, Griffin and Jarmon at LDE. The possible exception there is Griffin who may get replaced by Golston who has done some very good work this year.

I wish they had let Montgomery go and kept Dixon to start the season. That seems foolish now in hindsight and I can't help but wonder how much of a roll Vinny had in that. Although, with Monty having been drafted under the Gibbs/Williams regime there is no telling.

I'm not sure I see them parting ways with Daniels yet even though he is long in the tooth. I think he could be effective for 5 to 15 snaps a game at LDE giving Jarmon a breather and right now we really don't have any other good options there.

Carter should have been traded this year before the deadline to a possible contender looking for sack help. Cincy might have been willing considering they play a 4-3, lost their sack leader early in the year and have issues getting pressure since.

When teams are desperate they are more likely to pony up a bit more, especially when next years draft can't do a thing for this year's playoff run. Not sure anyone will be that desperate in the off season.

I don't know why everyone misses Dixon so much...he'll play well for 3 or 4 years and then get a fat contract from thedanny. Patience! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.