• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 12/17: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
December 17, 2014
Redskins Park

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the injury report:
“[Jason] Hatcher, knee, did not participate. [Gabe] Miller, ankle, did not participate. Trent Williams, shoulder, did not participate. Limited was [Brandon] Meriweather with his toe and Keenan Robinson with his knee. Full was [Kory] Lichtensteiger with his knee, [Will] Compton with his shoulder, [Chris] Baker with his chest and toe, and [Roy] Helu with his toe.”

On tight end Jordan Reed:
“He I think was having his first baby today. Congratulations to Jordan.”

On if defensive end Jason Hatcher will participate this week:
“I don’t know. We’ll just have to wait and see. It’s given him some problems here, and we’re trying to do everything we can to speed up the process. He can only do what he can do. We’re just trying to get him right for this week or maybe next week. Only time will tell with that.”

On how to correct a player’s tendency to draw penalties:
“Oh, we haven’t had really the same guy do it over and over again. [Bashaud] Breeland had a couple in the game that were debatable early – the PI (pass interference), even the personal foul. Both of them were jawing and I don’t know why they picked on Bashaud. Overall it’s a combination of a lot of guys. It’s a lot of focus that just goes on during the course of the game. Sometimes it’s a tight end, sometimes a tackle, sometimes it’s a defensive end, sometimes it’s a nose guard – whatever. It’s just something we have to continue coach and preach of how accountability and dependability is very important. Penalties are a major issue with us this year – special teams, offense, defense, all of them. We have done the best we can as far as helping them understand the importance of self-inflicted wounds, but sometimes they happen and unfortunately happen more often than not last week. But the same guy hasn’t really been doing them as far as I’m concerned.”

On Senior Executive A.J. Smith:
“I had lunch with him just now. Personnel and all that stuff, we’re going to finish the season out with the players we have and get them coached up, then evaluate everybody after the season. Then we’ll go into the draft process obviously and free agency, and all that will come later. Right now, it’s more about the players that we have, coaching the guys that we have and trying to get them to finish strong and finish on a high note. Then, all the evaluation process with Bruce [Allen] and A.J., that’ll happen when the season is over.”

On if he has players on whom he can depend moving forward:
“I think so. I think our core nucleus of guys we have here is pretty competitive, really. We haven’t produced very well, obviously. That’s an issue that we have to deal with as a staff, getting the most out of our players. The players that are here right now, they have all shown promise of being good, solid core NFL football players. We just have got to get more out of them. I think they are working hard. A lot of guys have stepped up in a situation they were not expected to step up in with the injuries. But, some of them have produced, some of them need to do better. But, overall, I think there’s a group of guys in here that are very good for the future.”

On how to game plan for rematches:
“There’s a fine line in that. They’ve changed up some of their defensive schemes also, a little bit. It’s a matter of doing what we do and what Robert [Griffin III] is comfortable with, what our offense is comfortable with and trying to attack what they do. Some of it will be what we did against them last time, some of it will be what we’ve infused in our offense in the last few weeks. It’s a combination of things. The big thing is getting our guys comfortable and doing what we know how to do and playing good, sound football.”

On wide receivers Pierre Garçon and DeSean Jackson:
“They’re great competitors. They want to help this football team in the worst way. When they don’t feel like their number’s called, obviously they feel like they’re underutilized. Both of them are great players. We want to try and get them the ball as much as possible. Sometimes you do, sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way based on pressure, coverage or what have you. We’re going to continue to call the game that we think is the best for everybody involved and hopefully they’ll all get involved. Running game, you want to get involved, you want to get the tight ends involved, you want to get the backs involved in the passing game, and obviously you want to try to get your best players the ball and they are two of our best. So, we’ve got to do a good job in trying to get them more balls.”

On pass protection and the progression of the offensive line:
“We’ve all had our issues offensively. Obviously, a production standpoint, we scored six against Houston, we got shutout against St. Louis, we didn’t do very well against Tampa, we only scored 13 against the Giants. We’ve had some issues and a lot of people want to pin it on the line, some people want to pin it on the quarterback, the offensive coordinator, the head coach, whatever. But it’s a combination of things, but the big thing for the offensive line; you know we’ve put them in some tough situations along with the quarterbacks being behind in the sticks, third down and longs and then of course being behind in games in the fourth quarter where these quality pass rushers on other teams get a chance to tee off and run every stunt known to man and we have to take five- and seven-step drops and read concepts out and it’s hard trying to catch up. So I think they have competed. I think the line has done some good things. I think too much of the blame goes on the offensive line. I think we’re all in this together. But, overall, I think Kory Lichtensteiger’s had a solid year, I think Chris Chester has played very well at right guard, I think Trent [Williams] is Trent, he has had some injury issues and [Shawn] Lauvao’s done some good things at left guard and of course we have been battling at right tackle. [Tom] Compton’s showing some improvement as the season goes on and then Spencer [Long] in practice is getting quality work and I think he is ready to go and [Josh] LeRibeus when he played did some decent things. You know, when you look at the course of a game, you break them down and you grade them, 'He’s 82 percent. He’s 86 percent.’ It’s the plays that they don’t grade out well that really become glaring, but overall as a unit they’ve done some good things, I think.”

On how quarterback Robert Griffin III can show progress in the next two weeks:
“I just want Robert to go out there and play, and one thing about Robert, I know he’s going to give it his best shot; really as a coach, that’s all you want. We’ll do all the coaching after the game and during the game and try to put him in great situations, but Robert just needs to go out there and play and do as best he can, which I know he will and that will be good enough I think. All the coaching and teaching will take place afterwards but if everybody gives us their best shot then I think we will have good chance on Saturday.”

On if cornerback Bashaud Breeland’s breathing issues will be less of a concern moving forward:
“Yeah, we hope so. I think that now that we know what type of issue it is, I think it has a bigger impact when it was a little bit colder outside and the colder it gets maybe we have to take more of a precautionary measure with breathing machines and all that stuff to make sure he is OK and have his… inhaler out there for him ready to go. And now that we know the issues, I think he will be better prepared because of it.”

On how hard it is to maintain cohesion on offense with changes at quarterback:
“It’s difficult, you know? You have – timing is very, very important. Timing and precision is very important in any offense and when you change quarterbacks – even as little as the snap count, you know that’s important. Everybody is different with the snap count. We try to keep everybody the same but that’s different. Ball-handling is different with all three guys. So cohesion is very important. You’d love to have one guy there all the time. Unfortunately we haven’t had that luxury. The good thing is that Robert has taken the bulk of the snaps in training camp and OTAs and he’s played a lot of football with these guys before, so I feel pretty good about it. But you know DeSean [Jackson] just got here and Andre Roberts just got here, so there are some new targets that he’s still working through and they’re working through together as far as timing and accuracy goes, but that comes with time.”

On what he has learned as a coach while working through those changes:
“Every quarterback is different and every system is different. You try to cater to the players that you have but you also try to attack defenses the best way you can with the system in place. So I think the big thing is just for me getting to know these three quarterbacks, it’s been great for me to see all three quarterbacks play and get to know them and see what their strengths and weaknesses are and try to work through the weaknesses and try to cater to their strengths, that’s the big thing that I am trying to work on now. Bu I think all three of them have shown promise, it’s just a matter of me calling plays that are conducive to their strengths and try to do a better job of protecting them.”

On linebacker Ryan Kerrigan:
“I think he’s got to be reckoned with every week. I know that when teams play us, I think he is probably the first guy they think of as far as rushing the passer. You know, he is a guy that is relentless with his approach to every pass rush and 12-and-a-half is a great number. I think he can get more, and hopefully he’ll finish up strong and be recognized as one of the top pass rushers in the league. And he’s doing it right now with a young guy on the other side and without Jason Hatcher, so he really stepped up his game. He is a great kid, great player and great competitor and he’s one of those guys that just fits in a great core of guys that we’d like to have here for a long time.”

On if he has any concerns about the outside perception of his relationship with Griffin III:
“You know what, I don’t have much of a concern really. I know that no matter what I say about Robert, it’s going to get twisted one way or the other. If I say he is doing great, it’s going to be I am too easy on him. If I say he needs to work harder, it means I said he’s lazy. If I said he needs to work on his fundamentals, it means I don’t like him. I’ve got a ton of respect for Robert, man, and for what he goes through at the quarterback position, what he has already accomplished as a young quarterback and what he is going to accomplish in the future. How we coach them in here is how we coach him, but we can’t let the outside world affect what we do in here. And the whole idea of coach/player relationship is to get better every day and work on our game, work on what I do, work on what I can do to make him better and that’s the bottom line that’s all we can do, that’s all we want to do.”

On how tough it is to evaluate the defense because of the frequent change in personnel:
“Yeah, it’s tough, but we have to expect guys to be ready and if there’s a chance for somebody to play, then we have got to make sure they are ready to go and know exactly what to do and how to do it. You know, that’s just part of the deal, man. A lot of teams are going through it. Injuries happen and guys come in off practice squads, guys come in off the streets and have to come in on a short period of time and learn a lot of information in a short period of time. But we have got to do a good job as coaches to make sure these players are comfortable when they do have to go in and that’s just part of the business, man. That’s why it’s not easy coaching.”

This doesn't make me feel any better about Gruden's suitability to be an NFL head coach.

Whether a particular call is questionable or not when a rookie takes FOUR of them in one game and later downplays their impact - the coach needs to come out and make it a teaching point, not make excuses for it.

Bill Walsh said you play as you practice.

So I don't buy the argument that the right things are happening M-F at Redskins Park and simply not translating to the field on Sundays.

Players don't know their assignments and that goes back to coaching.

Take a deep breath BT. I'm as frustrated with Gruden's year as anyone.

But, IMHO, the only option that warrants consideration, is a 2nd year. He will either prove that this year was just full of correctable growing pains, or definitive proof that he ain't got it.

That's the only smart move, as I see it.

Wouldn't mind if Spencer Long gave Chester a "Nancy Kerrigan" to the knee. Nothing serious just something to keep him out a few games.

Can you see Chester laying in the hallway saying "WHHHHHHYYY, just WHHHHHHY?"

disagree on line. preseason told me all I need to know. I watched physical lines dominate the first team line over and over. so...yea....multiple factors come into play including predictable play calls. but we have had two years of crap o-line play. it's not that they don't have good moments.....they do...it's that we all know when it comes to crunch time...they suck. a good defense will eat these guys alive every time. cowturds had to afce reality...and so will we....one hopes.

He can take the earlier RG approach and be brutally honest, or he can be more diplomatic in his responses. We can't have it both ways. He's clearly toning down his pressers. I don't expect we'll get as much direct honest answers as before. I'd say he's learned his lesson there.

I think someone has done an intervention with Gruden/Griffin. Wondering if Allen or Snyder has pulled them in and said 'neither of you is going anywhere - you need to figure out how to succeed together starting right now'

Just has that feel. Or that might be wishful fantasy on my part :)

I think someone has done an intervention with Gruden/Griffin. Wondering if Allen or Snyder has pulled them in and said 'neither of you is going anywhere - you need to figure out how to succeed together starting right now'

Just has that feel. Or that might be wishful fantasy on my part :)

That would be quite the step up if it happened that way. :peaceful:

Allen seems like that kind of guy to me and for the first time he has the position to be able to pull something like that off. I mean, Gruden and Griff are both answerable to him. It's the first time we have had that setup since Danny bought the team.

Gruden's tone to me has always been frustration with Griffin underachieving, not give up. It's always been in his best interest for RG to be successful. If that comes to fruition, whether it was because of the way Gruden handled it, or in spite of it, we'll likely never know. I would say that Gruden has taken counsel from someone, Allen as his boss a likely candidate. But I've felt a bit more maturity in RG's comments as well. If we end up with a young QB and a young HC coming into their own together, all the better. Bonds built through adversity can last a long time. We can only hope.

The HC needs to mature also. He's enduring some adversity. well...in those situations...I look for fighters who rally the troops. he looks crestfallen and beat after every loss. there's no spit & fire as in "You know what guys...we're gonna fix this. Just watch".

Gruden's tone to me has always been frustration with Griffin underachieving, not give up. It's always been in his best interest for RG to be successful. If that comes to fruition, whether it was because of the way Gruden handled it, or in spite of it, we'll likely never know. I would say that Gruden has taken counsel from someone, Allen as his boss a likely candidate. But I've felt a bit more maturity in RG's comments as well. If we end up with a young QB and a young HC coming into their own together, all the better. Bonds built through adversity can last a long time. We can only hope.

Agreed...

That article that came out written by J Reid was what fueled the fire of Gruden "giving up" on Griff, when the article had ZERO actual quotes in it. Gruden's comment have been harsh and some of his actions have been questionable, but I really hope you're right and the bond grows, as well as both of their games. We need it here.... badly

I've been, since day one, bothered with Robert's over-exposure via social media and, to a lesser degree, his candidness with the media. I was livid with the whole press conference back and forth he had with Mike leading up the the first regular season game in 2013 (I'm big on lines of authority, don't care if Head Coach is even wrong, he's the Head Coach and you're the subordinate). I couldn't stand the reports that Dan Snyder had, once again, enabled another "superstar" and allowed him to place himself above the team and undermine the coaches (Arrington, Portis, etc...)

None of that was because I didn't like him. It was all out of sincere want for him to succeed. I understand he's an impressionable young man and someone like Dan Snyder can have a very negative effect on him without him even knowing it. I have a firm belief that the more you show of yourself to the public and the more you relish in your success openly, the more likely God will humble you. So I was sincerely afraid for him.

And that's why I've found nothing wrong with what Gruden has done. It needed to be done, for Robert's sake. He needed to be humbled, period. It was also extremely important for the rest of the locker room to see. The fact that he even thought, in his rookie year no less, that he can demand anything from Mike and Kyle in terms of how they build the offense around him was outrageous (stop calling Read Option, call more traditional drop back passes, even when just handing it off to Morris on those type of plays was working beautifully and defense's hesitated to pass rush because of it, helping a lighter Oline succeed).

So, yeah... I'm very pleased with how Gruden has handled Robert. I'm one of the few who has liked it all, pretty much. I like how he undressed him in the media. Robert has operated plenty enough through the media, so it was earned.

My hope moving forward is that all of this leads to an actual team being built. Guys all working toward the same goal, understanding their roles and being accountable to each other knowing they're all equals and vital to each other's success.

At the very least, Gruden has forced all of this to come to a head. Either he fails or the team rallies around him. The only thing that remains an issue is the lack of an elite talent evaluator at GM, modeling the team's personnel to fit and mesh perfectly with the coaches schemes. What we have right now as our FO is Dan Snyder and friends, unfortunately. Allen being handed the GM title makes little sense from the standpoint of sound organizational principles (titles should be given based on pedigree and strength of responsibilities pertaining to them, not because of "comfort levels" or relationships).

Last edited:
The HC needs to mature also. He's enduring some adversity. well...in those situations...I look for fighters who rally the troops. he looks crestfallen and beat after every loss. there's no spit & fire as in "You know what guys...we're gonna fix this. Just watch".

Agree completely. I think we're seeing some from both. As for his demeanor, there's been any manner of coaching style that's won. I'm like you and like a more demonstrative demeanor, but not seeing it doesn't mean to me he can't be successful. And he may be that way behind closed doors. Despite the adversity, I haven't sensed he's lost the team, but being away from the area I don't see/hear as much. If the team stays with him, I think that says something about his command of the team. Now lets see if he can do something with the control I hope he's gaining.

Too much to quote Sub. :) I tend to feel similar that RG needed to come down a few pegs. If Grudens public method was his first choice, I'd be pretty disappointed. But, I think it was likely a last ditch effort. We'll see. I was hoping to see an end to the drama. I suppose only winning will bring and end to it.

Agree completely. I think we're seeing some from both. As for his demeanor, there's been any manner of coaching style that's won. I'm like you and like a more demonstrative demeanor, but not seeing it doesn't mean to me he can't be successful. And he may be that way behind closed doors. Despite the adversity, I haven't sensed he's lost the team, but being away from the area I don't see/hear as much. If the team stays with him, I think that says something about his command of the team. Now lets see if he can do something with the control I hope he's gaining.
Watching Moss (while embarrassing in its own right) fight to ejection on Sunday sent me a message. A guy, likely in the final year of his career, on a 3-10 team, fighting for every point shows me that there is still life there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.