• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

YH: Five Reasons RG3 Starts in DC in 2015

I keep saying this. Gruden can't be successful here. It's not that he can't be successful anywhere, just not here. We're going to have to catch lightening in a bottle with Snyder and Allen.

I keep saying this. Gruden can't be successful here. It's not that he can't be successful anywhere, just not here. We're going to have to catch lightening in a bottle with Snyder and Allen.

And Gruden just isn't "lightening in a bottle"?

I wonder what it must be like to come in as a new coach to a team whose players have not ever been fully accountable to their past coaches. On top of it being a Rookie head coach who doesn't have any skins on the wall to give him instant credibility with the players. Is it any wonder the team has struggled so? I think he's asserting himself to the team and the owner and is attempting to wrestle control away from any parties to whom it doesn't belong. There's no doubt in any players mind that if you don't do your job, your not going to keep it. I expect some serious churn during the off season. Gruden shouldn't be one of them. He's not done with RG. I'm convinced if he was, Kirk would be playing backup. Everything Gruden is doing appears to be about getting RG to respond. He's put RG in a spot where for the first time RG will have to earn his way. His methods are certainly debatable, but only time will tell of his success or failure. He's pushing RG to a climax. If he comes out the other side, he'll be mentally tougher for sure. RG has the physical skills. If he develops the mental toughness, we still might get the player we thought we got. That would be the best possible outcome. A new coach would be a win for RG that would propel him to further failure IMO. He'd have far less motivation to improve.

RGIII needs to go to pre-season and compete as one of the QB's fighting for a roster spot, not as RGIII who is guaranteed a roster spot, and unless someone better comes along, will be the starter.

Everyone needs to start on an even keel (nobody has a guarateed roster spot), and if Gruden is really serious, will weed out those who are only there for a payout. If players are only there for the money, they are NOT what we need to be a successful team.

No coach is going to be successful here with the current FO structure and an owner that has an agenda at qb.

Of course knowing that you aren't going to get top candidates to come here.

You have to overpay a rookie HC like Gruden and hope he learns how to swim before he isn't eaten by larger fish in the ocean.

Most of the worlds greatest successes have first suffered miserable failures. There's no greater teacher. At some point we take our lumps and go through the growing pains. I think that encompasses coach and QB. All outward appearances have been that Snyder has been hands off. Other owners sup with their QB's so I don't know if there's much there or not. My point is even if Snyder has been hands off since Allen took the reigns, too little time has passed to fix the many, many years of damage. Jay seems to have control to manage RG as he sees fit. Either with Snyder's Blessing or against. Either way is fine by me. Either Snyder's letting him run it how he see's fit, or Jay will do it his way regardless of Snyder, forcing Snyder's hand. If Snyder cans Gruden and retains RG, this team will never be more than it is. As fans we've suffered so many years of suckatude that we have zero patience for what has to happen. Rebuilding can be a very painful experience at the start. I'm hoping were fighting through some of the pain this year as the new staff gets a handle on what needs to be done. I don't think they could have known enough before living this nightmare to make the right decisions. Haslett was able to defer his past performance here on other things. Hopefully Jay see's Haslet for what he is. An average, at best, DC who can't get the most of his players. Haslett has to go. The Oline has to be the top priority. Frankly we should get an overhaul of our suck ass scouting dept. The secondary needs serious help. The next two years we should be able to really change the team. Hard to have hope this organization will be able to change, but we're at least at a point where it's possible. Hail to hoping.

They need an identity first and foremost.

This is part of the underlying struggle between RG and Gruden. There are other subtexts: Gruden's offensive concepts, per analysis in the media, don't strongly emphasize the running game. this goes against the grain vis the Skins historically and key strengths already on the roster.

Either the FO (ala B-More) or the coach (ala NE) is going to have to establish that identity and build and sustain a roster that services that identity. right now....I'm not seeing either one. the problem with the latter control is that it changes every time the coaching staff changes...bringing an inherent instability to the whole organization.

I'd prefer the B-More route. We need an Ozzy and complementing support staff. We don't have that at present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.