• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

YH: Five Reasons RG3 Starts in DC in 2015

I don't see any problem with keeping him on the roster next year.
But to automatically pronounce him the starter for next year, at this point in time, as the writer suggests in the title, is just ridiculous.
He still has to earn it.
If he is still on the team in next year's camp, there should be an open competition at starting QB, and probably bring in another QB from the outside, to throw into the mix......unless he lights the world on fire in these last 3 games.

Last edited:
Maybe it means "will be" as in he will win it and will be the starter. I didn't see anything suggesting he should automatically get the job

It's definitely the best scenario for the team. And one I hope will be.

I still believe Robert can be the man. He, of course, has to do it.

If he spends the rest of this season, whether on the bench, or starting, and the offseason and 2015 preseason learning his craft, I believe the odds favor his return to stardom.

Of course, Gruden needs to do the exact same thing. He is having as bad a year coaching, as any player on the team. Including Robert. Lots of learning needed for ALL of our guys.

I believe he will be under center again. #1 reason for returning........we ain't got nuthin else. Next year same players same results, unless we can get a whole new line and secondary and .........well, too many positions to name.

I'd be fine with Griffin starting next season and in fact, I think he should.

It should be either be Griffin or Cousins. McCoy adds nothing to the future of this team. He's a nice backup to have, but that's it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as our starter.

basically..the article is saying "it's in Griffin's lap to fix". It kinda glibly glossed over the "it's fixable" part. but it is a plausible scenario. the article also doesn't factor in Gruden's thinking enough...IMO.

Is it fixable though?

If they bring back Robert and hope to resurrect him it is going to have to be with a coach/coordinator that believes in him.

That means IMO that Gruden needs to go.

I'd have zero problem with sending Gruden packing. He's been a total failure here.

He was brought in as a "QB Guru" of sorts. All he's done is break our supposed franchise QB and then break the guy that people thought best fit into his system. He's used 3 different QBs and all 3 have produced similar results.

Then you have a team that has shown zero progress from last season and is regressing as the season has gone on. Again, not signs you want to see from your HC.

I'd feel different if there was some sort of progress being made, however small. But there is none.

I'd have zero problem with sending Gruden packing. He's been a total failure here.

He was brought in as a "QB Guru" of sorts. All he's done is break our supposed franchise QB

Interesting because our previous coach was also accused of "breaking Griffin"
I don't think Gruden could have broken something that was already broken.

Griffin will be here and will start.

Gruden will be gone.

A head coach that will use Robert's skills to best advantage will be hired.

Book it, Dano.

Yeah Chris, that's what I think will happen too. I'm fine with it, as long as the new coach acknowledges that he needs a professionally assembled OLine, not castoffs from the Island of Misfit Toys.

Yeah Chris, that's what I think will happen too. I'm fine with it, as long as the new coach acknowledges that he needs a professionally assembled OLine, not castoffs from the Island of Misfit Toys.

Yup.

You know, if Gruden had improved one facet of the team, even a little one, I might possibly feel differently. But he hasn't. The entire operation is a raging dumpster fire.

The only problem with that scenario is that it means that Snyder and Allen countermanded their own hand-picked head coach on a pretty important football decision and will confirm what a lot of Redskins fans have believed over the years, and what a lot of Redskins fans have been in denial about for a long time - that it's Snyder and Company's meddling that is driving the dysfunction in this franchise.

No decent, demonstrably capable head coach is going to want to come here ever again.

I am not happy with how Gruden has handled a lot of decisions this year, but at some point, in the name of everything that is holy, you have to step back, support your head coach's plan, and give him the time and patience to try and win his way. Otherwise, why did you hire the guy? We cannot win - ever - with a rotating door at head coach. It has to stop at some point. And if stopping it means supporting Gruden in moving on from Griffin, that's what we need to do.

My fear is that Danny Boy is already neck deep in trying to cajole 'the next head coach' out there into taking the job so he can send his latest problem child head coach (defined as, anyone not named Joe Gibbs who doesn't do what Snyder wants him to do) packing at season's end.

My only argument with that Boone (with which I largely agree) is that Gruden was hired ostensibly because of his QB expertise. If Griff alone had performed poorly, I would be more than willing to put the blame mostly, if not completely, on Griff's shoulders. But all three have looked progressively worse the longer they have played under Gruden. In fact, the only QB that has looked serviceable under Gruden is Dalton, and I don't think he is available.

Gruden has demonstrated time and again that we (generally, and Snyder specifically) SHOULD question his judgment, which includes his judgment about QBs. He has been a MAJOR disappointment across the board. If they decide to allow him one year, I could live with that, I suppose, though I would be pretty unenthusiastic. I don't think the man has what it takes to succeed here. As others say with RGIII, I think he very well could succeed elsewhere with a more stable, "normal" front office and talent evaluation process in place. But that isn't what we have here.

Bottom line for me is that in order to succeed here, a coach is going to have to be extraordinary, particularly when it comes to leadership. Gruden isn't. I don't see him working, and I don't mind moving on from him because of it.

I do question his judgment Goal. But the point is, you give a coach 4 or 5 years you have to let him try to build a team the way he envisions it. He is, I keep reminding people, a rookie head coach. He deserves not to be undermined and threatened due to a bad first season. You just can't keep throwing the coaches under the bus. And whem you're Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen I would suggest starting my quest for improvement by looking in the mirror.

On the other end I've never seen a rookie head coach come in and act like this with the drama and calling out in the media. I'm not sure he deserves the slack when he refuses to give it himself and is so very hypocritical

I hear you Mike - but you have to look at the context of what's going on too. I'm sure that when they were discussing this job with Gruden, both sides knew it would take an extended effort to turn this around. If the Redskins thought a new head coach, inheriting a seriously flawed roster that a former very successful head coach couldn't squeeze more than 3 wins out of, was going to be even moderately successful in season one - well, that's not a very smart thought process. I'd be more inclined to view things your way if Gruden wasn't working for the dysfunctional duo he's working for. If Gruden doesn't think he can win with Griffin, Snyder and Allen should support him. Not pretend to support him, meanwhile leaking shit to the media, contradicting him behind the scenes, and doing some of the other nonsense I strongly suspect is going on behind the scenes (much of it likely behind Gruden's back too). You can't have that dysfunctional environment, then when the new coach responds poorly to it, call for his head.

I am not impressed with what Gruden's done to date. But I'm also confident that he is getting zero help from above, other than threats, implied threats, and interference of both the passive and overt variety.

I am now convinced that Gruden was a bad hire. Time to cut bait. There is no possible way I would give him 3-4 more years to ultimately prove what I already know.

I can't begin to fathom that Snyder/Allen brought him in to do with Griffin what he has. If a coach needs 4-5 years to make his mark, shouldn't the teams best player who is at the beginning of his career warrant the same consideration?

Offense stinks. Defense stinks. Special teams stink. Players are still not disciplined in their play. Etc, etc, etc.

When you don't know what you need, can't recognize real coaching talent to begin with, and are incapable of letting your coach make his own decisions, they will all be bad hires.

We're the living proof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.