• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 12/10

I think the problem is that Gruden is unsure of what he wants to do here.

When he was first hired, he said the running game would stay the same. We have a bunch of OL that are meant for a ZBS. Meaning we have guys that are small and athletic. Then Gruden has been trying to run a Power run scheme with these same guys. Problem is, our OL isn't big enough to just maul opposing DLs. We don't have the right guys for that scheme. So why did Gruden decide to move away from the ZBS that we were succesful with under Shanny? No idea. Our OL coach is even more of a ZBS than Power guy. So it doesn't make sense.

Same with QB. He said we woulnd't see much RO with Griffin, but he wanted to play to Griffin's strengths. Now he's saying that no offense runs RO and he has to be a drop back passer. So again, what changed?

Then there's the mess of a defense we have. Some guys are better sutied for a 4-3 than a 3-4, yet we continue to run a 3-4. Why? No idea. We've been running a 3-4 for 5 years under Haslett and we've been getting the same results.

This franchise is famous for trying to stick square pegs in round holes. That's why we're in the mess we are now.

Don't forget this gem:

When it comes to the quarterback position, my job is to make him comfortable and productive.

"I'm not going to try to turn RGIII into Andy Dalton or Drew Brees. He isn't them. They're not him. I would be foolish to try to turn RGIII into a pocket passer. It would be foolish. The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself."

Haha wow great find Counter Trey. Wonder what Gruden would say if someone showed him that quote now?

I think that's putting the cart before the horse ST. The first question that has to be asked is what kind of players do we have here now and what system best suits them? Then you go about bringing in more players for whatever system that may be. via the draft and FA's. I'd draft line all day but I'd also go all in on bringing in some FA talent on the O line. The D needs help too but I am of the belief that just a switch to a decent DC would make a world of difference. The D can wait a year for the most part if we bring in a good DC. But no more freakin system guys!!! We've had the same problem on both sides of the ball, we don't have the type of players required for the systems they want to run. Man this team is a clusterfudge.

are there honestly enough players on this team to decipher the scheme that best fits the majority? It's the chicken or the egg. I could understand if we had a large group of core players that fit a specific scheme, but we don't. Earlier your brought up Seattle / SF saying they use a traditional style pro set and have adjusted plays to compensate for the QB. The difference between us and them? They have a system based on power running.. not ZBC. Seattle and San Fran can line up and beat the crap out of you.... they then use play action and screens off of that system, as well as read option. That is still a scheme, one not completely unlike Grudens. It's the same system that Alex Smith played in and NEVER ran the ball, while still having the highest completion percentage in the league (when he got hurt) and the team was 7-2. Both of those teams also have a defense that will allow for a QB to have 150yds passing and 1 td. That's similar to the production we had from Griffin, but we gave up 28+ when it happened.

Every thing Gruden says about RG implies RG is not getting the concepts and the only reason it would frustrate a coach to this point is if the player isn't doing the work/study. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Roberts attitude and mental preparation as a big problem. As I've said all along, RG is too far behind in his third year to not be a big part of the problem. I'm not exonerating Gruden in how he's handled things, or how the team has faired, but I suspect RG is a bigger part of the problem then is acknowledged b y many. He's just sucked far too bad. I expect suckage from Colt. He's already a failed QB. But RG has bigger expectations. If he's not doing the work or not getting the concepts, there's no reason to play him. More failure on the field is not going to help his already shattered confidence.

all true. the flip:

- this is a coach who stated early on that this was a decent offensive line including pass pro

- the coach himself may have a dirt simple scheme that DCs are not finding very difficult to manage

- he is routinely being out-coached

in this context...what are the real first causes? exactly who is undermining whom?

Right those teams value line play and protecting the QB...that's the difference. I agree that this team doesn't have a ton of players we need to build around in one system or another, but you've already hit on the fact that we have an O built around ZBS and a RO QB. So ya build a system that takes advantage of those skills and go from there. If the O line needs an overhaul then do it immediately, don't wait a season until you've ruined 3 QB's.

Desean Jackson as good as he's been never should have been signed for example. WR might be our most talented group yet we sign another there (although an admitted game breaker) and basically ignore upgrading the line. The mere fact that the kids they did draft can't get any play time when the starters are guys who in large part have been completely cut from other teams (ak not good enough to even be backups) screams volumes about the ability (or lack there of) of our entire non playing staff to evaluate players.

The notion that Gruden should fit his scheme to RG assumes Gruden can effectively coach a system that is different from his experience and preferences. I believe Gruden was brought here to install a prototypical Pocket offense and to help get RG to play in that type of offense. If we wanted to continue with an option heavy offense, our sucky front office should have hired the right coach, cause Gruden was never going to be that guy. I believe, like all of us, he sincerely believed he was getting an uber talented and smart QB who could learn to do it. I bet he was excited about having such a potential talent. However, Gruden can't be blamed for RG's failure to be able to get it. He does hold some responsibility for further damaging RG's psyche with his media "honesty". He's a 3rd year QB and Gruden hasn't really had much time with him.

Griffin would have been best served to sit his first two years on the sideline learning how an NFL QB plays the game. The team screwed the pooch with him from the beginning. We gave up too much for an unprepared QB, so they were forced to rush him along. The NFC East title was awesome, but in the end, it's just a foot note to another Washington Redskins botched personnel situation.

all true. the flip:

- this is a coach who stated early on that this was a decent offensive line including pass pro

- the coach himself may have a dirt simple scheme that DCs are not finding very difficult to manage

- he is routinely being out-coached

in this context...what are the real first causes? exactly who is undermining whom?

Oh I think those are all valid points. Gruden has not got it done, but I'm not sure he can be held to account for statements made when he took over. I'm not sure what else he could say. As fans we only want to hear what we want to hear when we want to hear it. I'd like to have heard him say at the beginning the team sucks and needs a blow up. Even if he thought it, until he had more time and exposure, that would be a hard thing to lead in with. Even if we fans would have rejoiced in the honesty. I don't think anyone's intentionally undermining anybody. I just don't think Gruden has "failed" to fix RG, I think RG has failed to fix himself, and it's a lot on the team as he was mismanaged from the beginning, IMO. That's just be biggest, most obvious dysfunction. It's certainly overshadowing the other more team centric problems.

do you think they should read it to the team at the next meeting?

I tend to believe the Skins were sold a bill of goods. Or, they just wanted their friend to join the frat..and they'd make stuff up as they went along. Turns out, Gruden didn't like the selection of beer.

Isn't everyone on the coaching staff someway or another connected back to Tampa Bay?

Pretty much.

And, if you'll remember, that was more miss than hit for that franchise.

Why wouldn't we want to immulate a franchise that went down the drain as time went on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.