• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Portis not playing this Sunday

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
This just showed up on The Sports Network's site.

Ashburn, VA (Sports Network) - Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis will not play Sunday against the Saints due to lingering effects from a concussion suffered November 8 against the Falcons.

Portis, who has missed the last three contests, has not seen the practice field since the injury. With backup Ladell Betts out for the season due to a knee injury, Rock Cartwright figures to get his second straight start.

The 28-year-old Portis has a team-high 494 yards on the ground but just one rushing score in eight games this season.

Its been known for a few days that Portis was out against the Saints.

Watch him come back against the Raiders and get 100 yards and some people will start clamoring for him to come back in 2010 just like they are now for Zorn and Campbell.

Its been known for a few days that Portis was out against the Saints.

Watch him come back against the Raiders and get 100 yards and some people will start clamoring for him to come back in 2010 just like they are now for Zorn and Campbell.

I would regard that as a pleasant surprise. I, for one, wouldn't expect a 100 yard game from CP If the OL opens holes for him like they've been doing and he doesn't get 100+ yards-I have no interest in him being on the field except as pass pro.

I won't matter. Portis at his peak isn't going tobe ableto stop the ass whippin' we're gonna take Sunday. There's already an article in the Times today about how GW is lickin' his chops to come in here and kill us. Unfortunately his rightous anger toward the danny will be taken out on JC

Portis is irrelevant. He is out of shape and failed to get offseason surgery on the bone spurs he has on his ankles. He isn't going to contribute to any wins over the balance of the season.

The entire picture of Portis that is emerging is of a self-satisfied football player that has been coddled way too long by an organization that judges his worth on his availability to go to dinner with the owner in Georgetown and attend Wizards games with same.

Ever remember John Riggins going to dinner with JKC?

Ever remember Larry Brown going to dinner with EBW?

There has to be a dividing line between the owner and the players.

While the coach may have his favorites, the owner needs to appear to be objective as that same player may need to be released for cap or other reasons and emotion can't be allowed to cloud that judgment.

Snyder has still not learned that lesson with his new toy.

I know that this has become a very serious concern for the NFL and I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt because they are not playing around with a concussion anymore, but I am starting to believe he is riding this for all it's worth.

That's right, I am questioning his heart at this point. I think he has lost his desire to play football for the Redskins anymore and may be playing this out so he doesn't have to go out there and get beat up for nothing. He has given a tremendous amount out on that field for us, but I think he has lost his motivation to play for us.

There's no doubt in my mind he's milking it. If we were in the middle of a playoff chase, he'd be out there playing. I say throw him on IR and don't even allow him to have a say on whether he plays anymore or not this season.

Agree Jimbo.

Portis, to an extent, is and always has been a head case. Acknowledging that doesn't diminish or take away from his ability or contributions over the years. But he's always had an obvious and desparate need to be recognized as more important than any other team member, and has a penchant for drama I got tired of a long time ago.

I won't be sorry to see him go, whether that happens this winter, or in a season or two. We need to start moving on.

Best wishes to Portis in overcoming the post-concussion syndrome.

But I really don't want to see him back in uniform in 2009. He is a divisive influence on this team (recall his calling out the OL in 2008?) and the running game by platoon has been fairly effective the past 3-4 weeks without him.

What's the point?

We're 3-9. If Portis came back and ran all over everybody (not likely) and the Skins win the final four games we're a mediocre 7-9.

Big ******* deal.

Whether he's milking it or if he is having post-concussion symptoms, Portis playing isn't going to help resolve the offensive problems we're currently having. It may make matters worse if he's not practicing and guys who are taking snaps are successful and are limited in their use to give him snaps.

Put him on IR and let the next GM determine if he's worth the money and/or fits the new scheme/coach or if the Skins should cut their losses and find another RB to replace him.

I get your frustrated but professionals and people who have played football their entire lives dont just give up because their record is poor.

barry didnt give up
walter didnt give up
jim brown didnt give up
Bo didnt give up..

Mike do you really believe that players in professional football do not give up at times because there team is losing?

of course Im not an idiot and believe that every player is as passionate as them but the great ones are. Real professional players dont give up no matter what the season looks like.

So, I guess you are suggesting Clinton Portis is a great one? Well, I still suggest he is milking this thing for all it's worth.

of course Im not an idiot and believe that every player is as passionate as them but the great ones are. Real professional players dont give up no matter what the season looks like.

The real great ones don't talk junk about fellow teammates or "buddy-up" to the owner or display inordinate amounts of "stroke-my-ego-please" either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.