• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

London Fletcher has some choice words about Haslett

Up until his last year or 2 on the Redskins, Fletcher was one of the few people who played with heart every play. He was all in all the time. He didn't make every play & he missed a lot of assignments, as does every player on every team. But Fletcher was the kind of player that we needed on Defense & that we currently & desperately miss on either side f the ball.

That said, I couldn't care less what someone has to say about his character. I trust Fletcher over Haslett a million fold. Fletcher has absolutely nothing to gain from telling people that Haslett doesn't know what he's doing unless he is vying for his position. In which case, I would at the very least, give Fletcher a chance to see what he can do as a coach. Otherwise, I have no doubt that everything that Fletcher says there about changing plays that Haslett called because they are dumb is true. That seems evident to me since now we have no buffer out there & they are running exactly what Haslett wants & even bad teams run all over us. To me there's no reason to doubt Fletch here at all.

If Haslett still has a job after this season, I may rip my own eyes out.

I don't know if Haslett is a back stabber, but many have wondered if he was the one leaking some of these stories. As far as that, I just chalk that up to Fletcher giving his opinion. He really give any fact on that issue. But we can put some dots together like Haslett blaming Shanahan for the poor performances the last few years.

However, where I believe Fletcher is his comments about Haslett not knowing what he is doing. That's the same thing everyone has been saying, so I don't think there is any dispute. He also backs it up with specific examples of how he had to change plays to get the D off the field.

As for Russell and Galdi, I expect Russell to defend the Redskins no matter what. He acts like he is trying to take over Larry Michaels roll as chief cheerleader/suck up for the organization. Galdi, I never know what to expect from that guy. He generally defends the team too, but I have heard him break from the company line some this year. I'm not terribly surprised.

If Haslett still has a job after this season, I may rip my own eyes out.

I will rip them out for you if he is still here!

One of the big problems on this team is we don't have a player like Fletcher. That man always gave his all. **** haslett and gruden

Some things to ponder. Not playing devil’s advocate, but Cooley and Doc made me think about some things this morning.

Both of them agree Haz sucks and has to go. Whether it’s his coaching or the Defense itself (or both), something’s not working and needs to be changed. Nothing personal at all. Doc, in particular, questioned why no one was thinking 2015 in terms of personnel. Why are you still playing guys who aren’t getting it done instead of seeing what you have on the bench? Why are you still playing a base defense that can’t seem to stop even the worst TE’s? What do you have to lose? You can say that of the entire team, but still…

Doc questioned a few things and seemed to have some inside somethingorother. For someone so beloved, where has London been all this time? Why say these things at this particular time? What is his motive and why weren’t they said months or even weeks ago? Has he had some (perhaps financial) incentive to do so? He didn’t come out and say it, but he insinuated someone might be pulling London’s strings.

Which leads to Cooley’s remarks. Cooley doesn’t just say the team sucks, he breaks down film and individual matchups weekly and shows you exactly why they suck. He, without mistake, said London was protected by the local media and the front office and the London you see on TV isn’t necessarily the same London you see in the locker room. He basically said the London you saw during this rant was what they saw in the locker room

He then went on to question why London didn’t question his own play over the last season-and-a-half of his career if he was going to question Haz’s ability.

Nick

Wasn't Fletcher with Haslett in St. Louis too? Fletcher has zero credibility issues, Haslett has a ton and the media's credibility is laughable.

Haslett doesn't have credibility issues, he has issues as a coach. Two different things. You can say he has accountability issues, but we really don't know much about him as a man.. unless you just go by what London says.

Nick

London Fletcher has some choice words about Hasslet

Comparing a player like Fletcher's last 2 seasons of play (at an advanced age when even HOF caliber players decline) with Haslett's perennially below average performance is just a dumb comparison (by Cooley or whoever drew that analogy). And again - it doesn't matter if Fletcher is a prick or not in real life - I think the salient point is, he's probably qualified to speak to Haslettt's capabilities as a DC.

Fletcher is trying to enhance his new media career.

Doesn't mater what is, or is not, true. The timing is solely career based. Nothing else. He has no one's interests in mind but his own.
Nothing shocking really.

Comparing a player like Fletcher's last 2 seasons of play (at an advanced age when even HOF caliber players decline) with Haslett's perennially below average performance is just a dumb comparison (by Cooley or whoever drew that analogy). And again - it doesn't matter if Fletcher is a prick or not in real life - I think the salient point is, he's probably qualified to speak to Haslettt's capabilities as a DC.

Anyone who watches our Defense is qualified. They suck and have for the last however long. The question is one of the motive of a player Cooley outright said was protected by the media and the front office.

Nick

London Fletcher has some choice words about Hasslet

So the suggestion is that Fletcher was paid to say what he said? What would other motives be? I think the most obvious answer to 'why now?' Is that he's kept his perspective under wraps for a long time, but was asked a very specific question, and just couldn't keep quiet any more. Like most of us have experienced at one point or another. And sorry, but you can't compare the expertise of a long-time captain of the defense who played for Haslett to a couple of former Redskin talking heads. There's a huge difference in those two knowledge bases. I guess my question is, why on Earth given what we've seen from Haslett defenses year after year would we cast doubt on Fletcher's assessment? It sounds just about right to me.

Personally, I don't doubt Fletchers assessment. I also didn't need it to know that Haslett is clueless.

Also not trying to say he got paid for saying it. But he is obviously trying to increase his future pay by doing it now, like this.

I see nothing innocent about the timing, or tone.

So the suggestion is that Fletcher was paid to say what he said? What would other motives be? I think the most obvious answer to 'why now?' Is that he's kept his perspective under wraps for a long time, but was asked a very specific question, and just couldn't keep quiet any more. Like most of us have experienced at one point or another. And sorry, but you can't compare the expertise of a long-time captain of the defense who played for Haslett to a couple of former Redskin talking heads. There's a huge difference in those two knowledge bases. I guess my question is, why on Earth given what we've seen from Haslett defenses year after year would we cast doubt on Fletcher's assessment? It sounds just about right to me.

Cooley is paid by the 'Skins organization, but he also takes days out after every single game to point out why the team sucks, all the way down to the plays and the matchups and grades the performance of every player. He's brutal. This isn't drive-by stuff, but a dissection of what happened on the field and it's merciless. He has questioned repeatedly what this team is doing and is just as frustrated as anyone else, usually accidentally using the pronoun "we" when discussing the team still.

You can talk about Fletcher speaking of the ability of Haslett as a coach until the cows come home. Only a blind man would miss that. The personal stuff is a bit too much and baseless. Given what Cooley has said about this team every single day of the week, why does he have less credibility just because of where he gets his paycheck, even in his assessment of Fletcher in the locker room? Fletch has some basis in reality, but this whole rant was just a drive-by to enhance his media credentials. Cooley breaks it all down clinically.

Nick

That was vicious.

It looked, to me, like something Fletcher's been wanting to say for a long time. Once he decided to stop biting his tongue all that pent up frustration just came out.

Maybe that's not it, but that's what it looked like to me.

Whatever his motives or what Fletcher was really like in the locker room or whatever, there's no arguing with the product on the field. The defense is terrible. It's been terrible ever since the moment Haslett got control of it. The details ... don't really matter. Haslett has not earned any benefit of the doubt here. He's done an awful job. He should have been fired after last season. He should be fired after this one.

The obvious answer is that he's never played defense for the Redskins and obviously has never played defense for Jim Haslett. Not only has London Fletcher done so for multiple seasons, he was the QB of the defense during his time in DC. If there's someone more qualified to give a valid perspective on Haslett's capabilities, I'd like to know who that person is?

I am not defending they manner in which his perspective was communicated. But that really doesn't determine whether his assessment is valid and accurate or not.

The obvious answer is that he's never played defense for the Redskins and obviously has never played defense for Jim Haslett. Not only has London Fletcher done so for multiple seasons, he was the QB of the defense during his time in DC. If there's someone more qualified to give a valid perspective on Haslett's capabilities, I'd like to know who that person is?

I am not defending they manner in which his perspective was communicated. But that really doesn't determine whether his assessment is valid and accurate or not.

I'm not arguing with the performance. The Defense speaks for that and his abilities. I'm talking about the personal stuff and the timing. It was more than a bit sensational and his motive are certainly self-serving, which Cooley says isn't as far outside Fletch's wheelhouse as we're expected to believe. Regardless whether Cooley played Defense, he did play on the team with the guy for several years.

No one is arguing for Haz to stay or even calling him competent. It's universally agreed he has to go, even by people questioning this outburst.

Nick

You guys are really wondering about the timing? Another three-win season on the horizon, the team ranked 26th in defense, just coming off a 49 point shellacking? If someone who really knows has something to say about the DC, when is he supposed to say it if not then?

I don't think the timing is all that odd.

When are we going to stop attacking the messenger? Every time someone says boo to this team that person must have some hidden agenda. It's not all that hidden, guys. The team is run by someone nobody likes, who has alienated pretty much every football person he's ever come into contact with and is no longer paying.

I don't have a problem with Cooley, but he really really loves being Mr. Redskin. I don't find his motives in defending Haslett any more genuine than Fletcher's in attacking him.

I loved Fletcher the player. If I had a vote for the HOF he would get it. He's not polished enough to succeed in the media so whether the timing of this was for his media career it's not gonna help as much as learning how to speak better.

This whole situation/season just breaks my heart. I have more respect than ever for Raiders, Jets, Browns fans. I just don't know how long I can watch this train wreck.

I agree with Henry which feels weird inside to say. I think cooley pushes his own agenda of being redskin too much. But I'm not sure fletcher took the right route or went about it the right way.

But it's true. Haslett is garbage. We all know it..fletcher just came out in a more public forum than we can and said it.

I don't have a problem with Cooley, but he really really loves being Mr. Redskin. I don't find his motives in defending Haslett any more genuine than Fletcher's in attacking him.

Nowhere did Cooley defend Haslett. It was the objection to the personal stuff, combined with questioning the timing, Fletch's status within the organization and media and a dash of "You weren't exactly held accountable for your own shortcomings the last year plus of your career."

Nick

Nowhere did Cooley defend Haslett. It was the objection to the personal stuff, combined with questioning the timing, Fletch's status within the organization and media and a dash of "You weren't exactly held accountable for your own shortcomings the last year plus of your career."

Nick

Sorry. Let me edit my shorthand:

"I don't find Cooley's motives in attacking Fletcher for attacking Haslett any more genuine than Fletcher's in attacking Haslett."

Sure, Fletcher played a year too long. I don't think anyone pretended he didn't or that the media or locker room or anyone else protected Fletcher from that fact. It's not like he's still on the team.

I do have to wonder what shortcomings Fletcher supposedly exhibited in 2012. Since Cooley is so good at breaking things down technically and all, did he offer any specifics there?

All that said, I do think Fletcher was uncommonly brutal in his statements. I just don't think his motives were necessarily all that nefarious. People who have an ax to grind with Dan Snyder's Redskins are generally not, in my opinion, the ones with the personality issues these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.