• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Roster Turnover

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
Coming off a 3-13 campaign in 2013 there were a surprising number of 'safe' roster spots heading into the offseason.

When we hit training camp I heard how difficult it was going to be to squeeze guys on the final roster.

Hopefully after another double digit loss season the team will be a bit more realistic in acknowledging this is a rebuild and not a retooling.

Instead of propping up spots with older castoffs we need to go younger.

If that means taking some lumps so be it.

How much worse can it get than losing to the Bucs at home and being 3-9?

The lack of accountability and maturity Gruden talked about is another reason we need to move some guys out and change the culture of the team.

We have starters being benched for missing team practices during the season and their backups going in and looking like they don't know the playbook.

Meanwhile a number of older players with a good work ethic are just too long in the tooth or frequently injured to provide any kind of stability.

Franchise player? The truth is we really don't have one, and if we do it certainly is not Orakpo.

Watching Justin Houston this past weekend gave me a pretty good idea of what a franchise OLB looks like.

Haven't seen that type of guy around here since Wilber Marshall.

I'd say Trent is our franchise player. Many believe Justin Houston will be our next big name splash this offseason. He'll be a FA.

As far as last offseason, we had one of the least dangerous rosters in the league, and too many holes to fill. Josh Morgan was our 2nd receiver. This season, Josh has racked up a nearly league-leading 6 receptions for 47 yards. That loser was actually our 2nd WR--and he was getting paid.

Impactful and affordable moves to sign Desean Jackson and Andre Roberts provided immediate upgrades and were beyond necessary.

Hatcher and Clark were also necessary, and have provided some help.

The team could only do so much to fix that dumpster fire left behind. STs were also pathetic and were upgraded across the board.

I don't see how we could have done anything more.

This season I expect that to continue, and expect to see some of the short term fixes like multiple players in our secondary replaced by real, and younger solutions.

Keep your pants on BT. It's coming. Let's finish the train ride first.

Andre Roberts sucks. My opinion.

Andre Roberts sucks. My opinion.

He's not the number 2 we thought we were going to be getting, but I wouldn't go so far to say he SUCKS. There are a lot worse number 3 WRs out there. He made 2 grabs this past weekend that honestly SHOULD have been pivotal conversions on 3rd and long...

I recall a certain member saying that I was being too critical of him...you remember who that was? ;)

I don't remember ever commenting on Roberts before now but if I did, I've seen enough now to be unimpressed.

Sucks compared to Josh Morgan for $4-6 million a year? No.

Sucks compared to Hankerson, or the guy from Tampa who never got on the field? No

Affordable upgrade? Yes

I don't remember ever commenting on Roberts before now but if I did, I've seen enough now to be unimpressed.
Just goofing but we did talk about him in chat.

Well, if I said anything positive I need to be jack-slapped

so...are we in transition or a rebuild?

Twenty-five years ago I'd say we were in need of a full rebuild. Things are different now. Teams used to rely on organizational strength and money of course, to have sustained success. You knew certain teams were going to be in the mix every year because they had good organizations. Good players always seemed to find their way to good organizations and as a result won championships. We were one of those teams once, but that was a long time ago.

In today's NFL....it’s QB play. That’s it. Either you have one and you are relevant and can put pieces around them, or you don’t and you can’t. Teams that have a QB are always in the mix and the names keep coming back over and over: Roethlisberger, Both Mannings, Brady. Those four guys account for 13 Super Bowl appearances in the last 13 years.

A dominant defense is nice but not essential. Hell even if you have a dominant defense or O-line or receiving corps or whatever, you can’t keep them together long. The days of an O-line staying together for the better part of 10 years are long gone. Nope, it’s all about the QB and we as an organization have kept getting that wrong one way or another for 23 years. Until we fix the QB position long term, we’re going to continue to suck.

Seems kinda simple when I write it down.

Roberts - a career 50/50 guy on targets and catches. It is who he is, I really didn't think coming to DC was going to change that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.