• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes: Redskins at Colts

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
November 30, 2014

Lucas Oil Stadium – Indianapolis

Game Notes: Washington Redskins at Indianapolis Colts

· The Washington Redskins fell to the Indianapolis Colts, 49-27, in front of an announced crowd of 65,352 people at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday.

· Quarterback Colt McCoy started his second game of the season and completed 31-of-47 passes with a passer rating of 113.1 and set career highs in passing yards (392) and passing touchdowns (three).

· McCoy’s 113.1 passer rating was the highest by a Redskins quarterback since Week 10 of the 2013 season (Robert Griffin III – 114.8).

· The 300-yard passing effort was the second of McCoy’s career and his first since Oct. 2, 2011 vs. Tennessee as a member of the Cleveland Browns.

· McCoy now has 25 career passing touchdowns, including four this season.

· McCoy’s 31 completions were the most by a Redskins quarterback since Robert Griffin III completed 32 passes vs. Detroit in Week 3 last season.

· Tight end Jordan Reed tied his career high in receptions (nine) and posted a season-high 123 yards. His previous career high in each category came in Week 7 last season vs. Chicago (nine receptions for 134 yards).

· Reed recorded a season-long 29-yard gain in the third quarter, surpassing his previous long of 22 yards vs. Tennessee in Week 7. He then surpassed that with a 30-yard gain in the fourth quarter.

· The Redskins recorded takeaways on the first two possessions of a game for the first time since recording interceptions against the Dallas Cowboys on the Cowboys’ first two drives on Dec. 30, 2012.

· The Redskins registered three takeaways and have reached the three-takeaway mark in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 11-12 of the 2012 season.

· The Redskins recorded three takeaways in the first half for the first time since Week 11 of the 2012 season vs. Philadelphia.

· Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, an Indiana native, recorded a sack to establish a new single-season career high (9.5).

· On the game’s first play from scrimmage, Kerrigan registered a sack and forced fumble on Colts quarterback Andrew Luck that was recovered by defensive end Jason Hatcher.

· The forced fumble was the 13th of Kerrigan’s career, tying him with Ken Harvey for the most by a member of the Redskins since 1994.

· The sack tied Kerrigan with Andre Carter for the seventh-most sacks in Redskins history (34.0).

· Kerrigan now has sacks in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 4-5 earlier this season.

· The fumble recovery was the fifth of Hatcher’s career and his first as a member of the Redskins.

· The takeaway was the first by the Redskins on an opponent’s opening drive since recording an interception against the Minnesota Vikings in the teams’ Week 10 meeting last season.

· On the Colts’ second possession, safety Ryan Clark recorded his 16th career interception and his first of the season.

· The interception was Clark’s fourth as a member of the Redskins and his first with the team since Week 17 of the 2005 season at Philadelphia.

· Clark later added his eighth career fumble recovery – his second of the season – in the second quarter. The fumble was forced by linebacker Perry Riley, Jr., his first of the season and the second of his career.

· Clark recorded an interception and fumble recovery in the same game for the first time in his 173-game regular season career.

· Clark now has at least one interception in seven straight seasons and in nine of his last 10.

· Wide receiver Pierre Garçon surpassed 5,000 career receiving yards during the contest (5,005).

· Wide receiver DeSean Jackson recorded his 400th career reception in the third quarter on an 18-yard pass from McCoy. Later in the quarter, he surpassed 7,000 career receiving yards on an 11-yard pass from McCoy and now has 7,059 yards for his career.

· Jackson recorded a 42-yard touchdown reception from McCoy in the third quarter, the 37th of Jackson’s career and his fifth of the season.

· The 40-plus-yard reception was Jackson’s NFL-best 10th of the season.

· Running back Roy Helu, Jr. recorded his career-high second receiving touchdown of the season in the second quarter on a 21-yard pass from McCoy.

· The Redskins now have four receiving touchdowns by backs this season (two by Helu, Jr. and two by fullback Darrel Young), the team’s most since recording five in 2010 (Keiland Williams, 2; Ryan Torain, 2; Young, 1).

· Helu, Jr. gained 61 yards on four receptions and now has a career-high 436 receiving yards this season, surpassing the 379 receiving yards he accrued during his rookie season in 2011.

· Tight end Logan Paulsen scored on a 16-yard touchdown reception from McCoy in the third quarter.

· The touchdown reception was Paulsen’s sixth of his career and his first since Week 14 last season.

· Wide receiver Santana Moss recorded his first reception of the season in the second quarter, gaining 13 yards.

· Running back Alfred Morris caught three passes for 16 yards and added to career highs in receptions (14) and receiving yards (125) this season.

· Linebacker Steve Beauharnais made his Redskins debut.

Well, I guess that'll shut Garcon up. He gets his yards and we continue to have a whole lot of suck.

Glad to see Colt do what Griff was accused of last year...pad stats when being behind. Note that Griff had a higher qb rating than Colt in a game last year!

Too many procedure penalties, uncovered receivers, inability to score in the red zone, etc.

More of the same, different day.

Yet Griffin can't even get padded stats.

"Yet Griffin can't even get padded stats."

not for two games...that's for sure! and with that same offensive line you noted Colt/Cousins weren't so susceptible to sacks from. sure nailed that one!

per previous...I really wish we would trade Griffin to Philly during the off-season for the standard 4th so that Chip Kelley and that organization could get him back up to speed to crush the Skins every of the next 10 seasons. it wouldn't be that hard to do and would be so satisfying to watch.

"Yet Griffin can't even get padded stats."

not for two games...that's for sure! and with that same offensive line you noted Colt/Cousins weren't so susceptible to sacks from. sure nailed that one!

per previous...I really wish we would trade Griffin to Philly during the off-season for the standard 4th so that Chip Kelley and that organization could get him back up to speed to crush the Skins every of the next 10 seasons. it wouldn't be that hard to do and would be so satisfying to watch.

If you cannot see that Colt, while not great, has outperformed Robert this season? I mean seriously...are you that blinded by your animus that you can see what is right in front of you?

And I think you and anyone else who thinks Chip Kelley is fool enough to trade anything for Robert to be anything other than a backup to Foles, you're foolish.

I don't think anyone thinks or is suggesting Colt McCoy had a "great" game, or is the future of the franchise. What he was however, for at least 3 three quarters, was a competent NFL QB. McCoy gave us a chance to win yesterday ... or would have on a team with an actual NFL pass defense.

Sadly, regardless of who one thinks is at fault for it, that's not something we can say about Robert right now.

Meh...I'm not convinced. He was shaky under pressure, made some horrible reads ( he was VERY lucky to have a couple dropped INT's), horrible throws, was weak armed when he needed zip and he had some nice plays peppered in there. Slightly better in some aspects but again he was pure crap until the line started protecting him late in the 2nd Quarter as Moose kept reminding us. I was not at all impressed with McCoy, and saw many of the same issues we saw with Robert in there. That said he does unload the ball more quickly.

CT, work with he here. Did you get the impression Colt generally knew where and when to throw the ball?

Sometimes, others he looked lost or like he was searching for something...ANYTHING. I won't dispute that RG3 is totally lost but again I put that on the fact that he feels zero security and acts like a QB who has been getting mugged for 3 years, and lousy coaching not playing to his strengths. He wasn't sharp last year but the falloff this year is reflective of coaching.

If I had to quantify my feelings on why I believe Robert has looked so lost by percentage, I'd probably break it down something like this:

50% = His own fault (failure to grasp in 3 years how NFL passing offenses work)
35% = Coaching (failure by Shanahans and Gruden to teach him and/or create sustainable alternative)
13% = Injury (loss of the explosive burst that made him act/feel like Superman)
2% = The rest of the bullshit

Note that this is not a tally on why I think the TEAM has sucked so bad. Just about why I think Robert has looked to utterly lost out there.

The weekly notes usually make me feel like the team is reaching for anything good to publish - anything. Kerrigan is nice to recognize and an occasional mention of something truly noteworthy is fine, but the rest is a real reach.

If I had to quantify my feelings on why I believe Robert has looked so lost by percentage, I'd probably break it down something like this:

50% = His own fault (failure to grasp in 3 years how NFL passing offenses work)
35% = Coaching (failure by Shanahans and Gruden to teach him and/or create sustainable alternative)
13% = Injury (loss of the explosive burst that made him act/feel like Superman)
2% = The rest of the bullshit

Note that this is not a tally on why I think the TEAM has sucked so bad. Just about why I think Robert has looked to utterly lost out there.
At the beginning of this season gruden was asked about truning a RO Qb into a pocket passer and he said something to the effect of "Only a fool would try that" only to follow that up with an entire season of said foolishness. I get that we're trying to convert because we can't protect him but IMO that's cutting off our nose to spite our face. This kid still has in him what has made him great his whole football life, not just good but GREAT. But if we try to make him something he's not it's going to take a hell of a lot longer than a couple offseasons. If it was me I'd sit the kid the rest of the year explaining that it's until we can rebuild this line in the offseason and we can play an offense that exploits his skill set. We're lucky we didn't lose McCoy yesterday, 7 sacks, are you kidding me? And that was WITH improved play!

I have a hard time blaming him for his grasp of things at this stage when he's never run this style his entire life and been given lousy guidance. He had zero problems reading defenses his rookie year, so I don't buy that either. He can read a defense but he's thinking so much before he even gets to that point that the actual breakdown gets lost. I'm telling ya if he had good coaching like a Carroll or Kelly would have given him he'd be lighting it up. Even without playing full on RO where are all the rollouts moving the pocket, where's the naked bootlegs that a gimpy Peyton Manning can pull off? They did ZERO to help Griffin.

Square peg-----> round hole. That's the Redskins way!

I noticed Griffin lining up under center a lot when he was in but Colt played most of the game from shotgun yesterday. Why wouldn't you put your mobile dude who is also a great runner in the position to already be in that position?

At the beginning of this season gruden was asked about truning a RO Qb into a pocket passer and he said something to the effect of "Only a fool would try that" only to follow that up with an entire season of said foolishness. I get that we're trying to convert because we can't protect him but IMO that's cutting off our nose to spite our face. This kid still has in him what has made him great his whole football life, not just good but GREAT. But if we try to make him something he's not it's going to take a hell of a lot longer than a couple offseasons. If it was me I'd sit the kid the rest of the year explaining that it's until we can rebuild this line in the offseason and we can play an offense that exploits his skill set. We're lucky we didn't lose McCoy yesterday, 7 sacks, are you kidding me? And that was WITH improved play!

I have a hard time blaming him for his grasp of things at this stage when he's never run this style his entire life and been given lousy guidance. He had zero problems reading defenses his rookie year, so I don't buy that either. He can read a defense but he's thinking so much before he even gets to that point that the actual breakdown gets lost. I'm telling ya if he had good coaching like a Carroll or Kelly would have given him he'd be lighting it up. Even without playing full on RO where are all the rollouts moving the pocket, where's the naked bootlegs that a gimpy Peyton Manning can pull off? They did ZERO to help Griffin.

Square peg-----> round hole. That's the Redskins way!
Maybe you aren't intending it, but to me it sounds like you're making the assumption that Gruden didn't spend half his waking hours since minicamps began trying to get Robert up to speed on NFL quarterbacking. I think that would strain credulity. Jay Gruden wants one thing---to win---so he can 1) keep his job, 2) win at it, and 3) get rich and famous because of it.

My feeling is that he and Sean McVay tried their damndest to help Robert learn; along the only trajectory that has ever made sense--and one the Shanahan's voiced early on: that because Robert didn't have pro-style offense experience coming in, they installed the read-option in order to let him learn on the job. It was never supposed to be THE offense, it was supposed to be the bridge TOWARD an offense, one that included read option as part of a pro-style passing attack.

Somewhere along the way, that clearly went off the tracks. I happen to think based on what I've seen from him on the field that that's largely his own fault.

And I have to disagree to a point about the reading of defenses ... the read-option they ran in 2012 limited his reads drastically. Remember all the talk from the Shanahan's about only asking him to read one side of the field? And all the talk back then about how if the first or maybe second read wasn't wide open, he would pull it down? That was fine in 2012 because he was ELECTRIFYING and took the league by storm. Robert was brilliant in the read option when it was new and fresh and he was Superman. But it was an offense intentionally simplified for his OJT. And it was supposed to be a temporary thing while he learned the rest of the quarterbacking manual.

I'm surprised I don't see that discussed more often when it gets reduced to the square peg/round hole cliché.

The Robert we see today still does not appear to have been able to incorporate basic NFL-style pocket passing into his game. After three years. And that scares me. I'd like to think most guys with who have played football at the higher college levels, and added three years in NFL film rooms and practice fields to boot, would have shown more progress by now. Particularly guys with cannon arms.

So even while recognizing all the other factors in play--coaching, injury, general Reskins suckitude, etc.,--it's still very hard to look at his lack of progress between the ears on Sundays and not be left a little mystified and concerned about whether he CAN or WILL get it, coaching or no coaching.

And please remember, good friends ... few have been bigger RG3 guys than me. This isn't about bashing the guy. It's about watching the man flounder so badly it's forced the team, with all it's flaws, to sit him down. And realizing that at least for now, and until he shows otherwise, it's largely on him.

RG3 was never supposed to be "a running quarterback" here. He was supposed to be an NFL quarterback, capable of running a real NFL offense, with the read-option as a component to take advantage of his legs while he was young.

You're outta control brother.

Om, the other thing about this square peg/round hole argument that gets thrown around....

The folks using that argument conveniently leave out the part where Robert and his Dad were blunt in telling the team that they did not want to run the 2012 offense anymore and Robert wanted to be a pocket passer.

It's baffling that the guy isn't picking up what he claims he wanted to learn.

That's in the equation there somewhere, Diesel. I just hesitate to use it in discussion because I never saw it supported by any real facts, quotes, etc., to where I was comfortable that we knew what was actually said and in what context.

To me it was never an either/or thing with Robert ... it was always supposed to be that the 2012 offense was a building block toward ... well ... something no one had ever seen before.

Which one could argue we've gotten. :cool2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.