• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Adam Schefter ESPN.com : Redskins to start McCoy over RG III

I think the organization--top to bottom--needed Robert to play this year, despite concerns we know they had even going into the season about his ability to run a real NFL offense. The investment was just too big to not give him a chance to grow into the position. And the PROMISE we all saw in Robert was and is still a factor. What I don't think they knew was just how little progress Robert would make between the ears over the course of the year.

I was stunned how badly Robert played the last 2 weeks. I think the team--top to bottom--was too. At this point the team needs to use the 5 next weeks to try to see how the rest of the offensive roster works with a serviceable QB at the helm who can at the very least run the offense ... who actually knows what to do out there.

Robert is under contract for another year, so there is still a chance, whether realistic or not, that he might start to figure out what an NFL QB is supposed to do on the field in a real big-boy offense. The team doesn't have to make that decision today, or even any time soon. They can let that one play out.

What the team DOES have to do is let the other men on the roster, in the staff, etc., know that their clock is ticking too. No excuses, no excuse of the coddled star QB holding them back or getting star treatment and playing only because he's the bonus baby.

As for Gruden? First year coach who needs to grow into the job too, and learn that the press and fan base do NOT need to know every thought in his head. That the best interests of his team are to be as big a hard ass as he needs to be to get the job done, but to do it behind closed doors and not amplify the ridiculous noise the local press and fans make in this town.

I'm intrigued by Jay's offensive football acumen ... and willing to give him a chance to grow into the management part of the job, like I would any rookie head coach. If he gets this team competing on both sides of the ball the rest of the way, win or lose ... I'll head into the offseason hopeful that having the full draft and cap space back in hand, he and Allen will start to build a team worthy of a real QB, be it Robert or not.

Then I'll start doing secret voodoo dances trying to get him to let Haslett go.

Finally a level headed post that couldn't be more right on. Good job OM

I feel terribly for RG3. This event just reinforces how dysfunctional this franchise has really been.

With that said, this is a fantastic day for the organization. One of the greatest days toward future success.

1. We have a HC who has just proven he has some of the largest huevos in the entire league. Amazing guts to make the difficult and unpopular decision in an attempt to win.

2. He just uncovered and overcame more meddling from Dan Snyder. He's pushed him even further away from this franchise. Hope it sticks and continues.

3. He just won the locker room, and gave players an actual reason to even think about staying next season. We were in huge jeopardy of at least losing our WRs--guys that have taken us 20 years to bring in. Now instead of spending draft picks and time in hopes of ever replacing them, we can move forward and win games.

This is a great day.

Excellent post McD. Its about time, thank goodness, we have a coach with some balls. The more he shows it and acts like his brother Jon, the more successful he will be with this team. No more tough love, its about winning a friggin ball game, period. Once he gets the team to play better, the right QB will follow.

I dont know how to take this right yet. I have been saying for a while now that the only reason Griffin should be sat down is if the football people have made the decision that he's not a part of the future plans of our beloved team. I don't know anymore. I have wanted Griffin to have the reps because he needs to get better, but I also don't want to see him get killed. I don't WANT to see Griffin go anywhere.... but who knows anymore.

My positive spin on this? It sure as hell looks like our coaching staff and the football people have 100% governing power over the decision making as far as on the field and player personnel goes... whether I agree with the decisions or not, it's the football people making them.

You're exactly right. Let the coach make the decisions that are in the best interest of the team. Bottom line, we need a coach that is bottom line oriented. And to all those Snyder bashers, he is laying off and you just know this decision was signed off on. What I've been saying. Anyway you slice it, that is an improvement for the direction of this franchise. One small step for coach, one giant leap for Washington Redskins.

Well, sometimes hitting rock bottom is what is needed for change.

Ha! You'd better hope this is 'rock bottom' - I'm beginning to think the Redskins bottom is more like an endless abyss or a black hole.

F*** all I can say. But it was JG's bday yesterday so I'm just going to stay with that positive thought.

This both sucks and is good.

The Bad:
We desperately needed RG to succeed. So much cost. Unfortunately he hasn't progressed any past being an option QB. Even coming back too soon last year, he should have developed some pocket skills. I've felt since Kirk's first game, RG's day were numbered. Not cause Kirk is the answer, but because the disparity in play outlined RG's limitations. He just has no feel for it.

The Good:

I don't think the organization had any real choice but to start RG. Even if Gruden suspected or felt he wasn't the guy, he needed to give him a few games to see. You bench him at this point for 2 reasons. Either you've decided he isn't getting it and you are cutting your loses and moving on, or RG isn't doing what the coaches want in terms of preparation and he's suffering the consequences. While either outcome sucks, it is good to see the Coach making the decision he thinks is best. No one on this team should feel secure. If we are going to have long term stability at the HC position, let the coach build the team in his image. We always say we need stability at the most important position, QB. But really, the Coach is the most important position IMO. We need one that will be around and bring stability and an identity. Will Gruden get the time needed? Will he be capable of growing into the job and getting it done? Time well tell, but at some point this organization needs a reset. Maybe this will be it.

Ha! You'd better hope this is 'rock bottom' - I'm beginning to think the Redskins bottom is more like an endless abyss or a black hole.

Throw another player on the scrap heap. Blame the player. Expect things to get better.

Welcome to another year in Washington.

Gotta ask, Henry. You don't think Robert is the main cause of Robert's failure?

I honestly don't know what to think anymore. It seems every decision is a step in the wrong direction. Robert being benched, while doesn't necessarily come as a surprise, it is a real disappointment. But whether this is going to work in favor of wins or losses will remain to be seen.

I am, first & foremost, a Redskins fan & want to see them make progress however they have to do it. But I sometimes wonder if, in the process of progress, they aren't sabotaging themselves with bonehead decisions & bad team management. Getting Robert was supposed to be about the "future" & we all agreed then that getting the right talent around him (that included a competent O-Line) was essential to his success here. They haven't done that. They have gotten some WRs that are speedy & big & able to make plenty of YAC. We have a RB that can steamroll LBs with the best of them. But the O-Line continues to be a serious issue that they have made few strides to correct. My biggest concern moving forward is always going to be that O-Line. It doesn't matter who is under center. If they can't protect him, he will not succeed.

As for this decision, like I said, I'm not all that surprised. I like Robert & hope that we trade him somewhere we don't have to face him twice a year, because if he goes anywhere that has a decent O-Line & sound structure from the FO down, he will light us up. I definitely see him winning a Super Bowl...with someone else.

But, as a true B&G Redskins fan, I will get behind McCoy & hope that he can bring us victories the rest of the season. The best we can do at this point is 8-8. I don't expect that, seeing the lineup in front of us. But, if he can at least bring in a couple more wins, that would be nice.

Hail.

Gotta ask, Henry. You don't think Robert is the main cause of Robert's failure?

Honestly, I don't care. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. We don't know. None of us do.

All we know is that it's never the team. It's Laveranous Coles' fault, or Lavar's fault, or Brandon Lloyd's fault, or McNabb's fault, or Griffin's fault. Those jerks. They never work with the team. They never listen to coaches. They may produce for other guys or other teams but here they are just a bunch of losers.

After awhile, I hear yet more rumors that this season's version of the selfish, unteachable, over-payed, over-entitled player has only himself to blame for dragging the team down like an anchor and I just have to roll my eyes. At the point, it seems to me that the team is the anchor.

Om, why was Robert so successful in 2012? Yeah, that's right, the coaches designed a scheme to promote his skills. Next thing you know, the FO hires a coach who has no intention in 'coaching up' Robert or changing the scheme to Robert's strengths.

Yeah, it's easy to see why Robert failed. Seven step drops with no protection will 'expose' a guy really quickly.

Let's just conveniently ignore RG3 and RG2 running around town,shooting their mouth off about not wanting to run Kyle's offense anymore and that he needed to be a pocket passer.

What does wearing a wristband have to do with anything? Some QBs wear it and some don't. But I guess that's the Zapruder film some were looking for. Also, how is it good for the franchise to continue the QB carousel? At what point does someone, anyone, develop a QB here? It's the same thing year after year, get impatient with the QB and switch him in and out like it's a fantasy football lineup. The organization, the fans, the media, will never be patient enough to let a QB succeed. I want to see a QB developed. It didn't or doesn't have to be RG3, but make a commitment and stick with it.

Om, why was Robert so successful in 2012? Yeah, that's right, the coaches designed a scheme to promote his skills. Next thing you know, the FO hires a coach who has no intention in 'coaching up' Robert or changing the scheme to Robert's strengths.

Yeah, it's easy to see why Robert failed. Seven step drops with no protection will 'expose' a guy really quickly.

It's sorta like installing a 3-4 defense when you have 4-3 personnel. It's a real head scratcher for this organization.
Well, when you ask and then answer your own question, it gives the impression you're not really asking. :)

I'm not going to rehash the same debates Redskins fans and media have been having since 2012 brother. If you really aren't looking any deeper than why the Skins ran a very basic read-option offense in 2012, and why that wasn't then and isn't now even remotely intended to be a long-term sustainable offense, we are way too far apart to try to have that discussion here.

So let me just say that I would LOVE to have seen Robert progress beyond the basic option over the past two years and have gotten to a point it could be incorporated into an actual NFL passing attack, like the Shanahan's envisioned and talked about two years ago. And I'd still like to think that might even happen between now and 2015.

Honestly, I don't care. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. We don't know. None of us do.

All we know is that it's never the team. It's Laveranous Coles' fault, or Lavar's fault, or Brandon Lloyd's fault, or McNabb's fault, or Griffin's fault. Those jerks. They never work with the team. They never listen to coaches. They may produce for other guys or other teams but here they are just a bunch of losers.

After awhile, I hear yet more rumors that this season's version of the selfish, unteachable, over-payed, over-entitled player has only himself to blame for dragging the team down like an anchor and I just have to roll my eyes. At the point, it seems to me that the team is the anchor.
You're right ... none of us 'know.' It's still pretty clear though, based on our own amateur observation and distilling the accumulated knowledge/opinions of all the professionals who seem to agree that our boy Rob really and truly has struggled to grasp an NFL-level passing game. And "struggled" is putting it in about as generous terms as I've heard any of those pros put it.

I just don't think in this case that Robert's getting "blamed" for anything more than the utter disfunction of the passing game. Even WITH the noted deficiencies on the OL. We still have issues on D, special teams, and coaching that need to be addressed. I am not, and don't believe I've seen anyone, deny or overlook those realities.

I'll admit I only had time to read a few of your replies here. . Sorry

Maybe Griffin is being protected from himself and will be given another off season to prove he belongs in an NFL offense. I would have rather he play it out but at this point we pretty much know he would hurt himself and then what would we ever know?

Maybe we get a chance to see if Cousins has had time to heal from his wounds too? I dunno. It doesn't really matter in the W and L columns... At this point I'd almost rather lose more than win. Just don't wanna lose like Roberts been getting creamed and its just unprofessional football man. I don't really see how anyone can be happy about any of this. Happy Turkey day out to you all and well .... **** dALLAS.

Wow, what a sad situation. I feel terribly for RG3 because I think at heart he's a good guy and has had an epic trip through the ringer. Right now, I'm just trying to sort through all the speculative crap out there to find some sense in this dysfunctional cluster that is my Washington Redskins.

What I will say is that I am not at all impressed with Gruden's public handling of RG3 and actually think several things he's said are inappropriate for a HC to be putting out there for public consumption. Of any franchise in the NFL, this one does not need a HC adding to the speculation, rumor mill, etc. that the Redskins are continually embroiled in. Maybe he thinks his public tough love is a motivational factor, but everything I know about coaching and effective leadership runs contrary to that type of philosophy. I obviously don't think Gruden is a bad guy or that he isn't a HC who could potentially make great strides in improving our team, I just think he needs to learn how to better handle the public scrutiny that comes with this franchise.

It's sorta like installing a 3-4 defense when you have 4-3 personnel. It's a real head scratcher for this organization.

Especially when it was supposed to be a 3 step drop...not a 7 step drop.

Meet the new team, same as the old team. Nothing to see here...move along. :(

I am growing to hate football this year. This season is just... the worst. Just the worse.

Hey Jay? Since I didn't hear you call out Has, can I assume he'll be back next year? Should I just try to sleep through the 2015 season too? Same with the OLine? I take it since you didn't publically call out and humiliate YOUR garbage draft pick, that you think Moses is still the answer to a question other than, "Who parted the Red Sea?".

Gruden, we were all excited when you came here because of the magic you worked with Andy Dalton. I mean... Andy Dalton? That's amazing, dude! Dalton looked like a credible NFL QB for a while there, even earning an enormous extension. The upgrade in physical gifts alone from Dalton to Griffin is like going from a Ford Focus to a Lamborghini, no? So what the hell, man? How come you haven't developed our QB? Most people will tell you that is one of the main reasons you were brought in. Frankly, if Snyder fired your ass for this debacle, I wouldn't shed a tear. You have minimized, humiliated and generally ruined our franchise QB, instead of working with him and teaching him to excel. YOU have failed in what you were brought here to do. YOU are, as head coach, ultimately responsible for Robert's development, and YOU failed.

So... congrats?

I'll admit to being surprised by the amount of blame many of you are putting on Gruden for Robert's awful level of play. Yes, Jay has a lot to learn about handling the managerial and public aspects of the job, but I have never felt or had reason to believe he didn't give the tutelage of RG3 a genuine effort.

Until and unless I see or hear clear evidence to the contrary, my feeling is the failure is largely on the shoulders of the player in this case. It's not just that he hasn't been great, or even good, or even just average. It's that he's looked utterly lost within the framework of an NFL-level passing offense.

You all know what a big proponent I've been of the quarterback. And I take no pleasure in any of this continued drama being played out in the media world. But what my eyes have been screaming at me the last couple of weeks is that said quarterback has a very, very long way to go before he's ready to run a sustainable offense in this league.

I just can't put this one on the coach. Not based on what I've seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.