• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Morris' mindset, Griff needs to do the same.

TomE

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Kiem
“I stopped hesitating,” Morris said of his improved running. “I was trying to see too much.”

Morris is a smart runner, able to set up defenders by pressing the hole and having a strong idea of what he must do. But he said he became too aware of what was going on around him and it caused him to overthink his runs. That’s not the case anymore. That’s really made the difference.

“I said this weeks ago: I was thinking too much,” Morris said. “I’ve been playing this game since I was 5. I know how to be a runner. I just stopped thinking and stopped trying to make things happen that weren’t there.

“Each week has gotten better and better. That is just the type of guy I am anyways. As the season goes along, as the game progresses, I feel I get stronger and stronger. It translates into a successful ground game. ...But I would be a lot happier with a win.”

Somewhere along the line Griff has to get into this mindset, granted the position is way different but we all know that processing too much info takes away from instinct.

Alfred Morris thinking less, gaining more - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

The good drive Griffin had this past weekend, it was very noticeable that Griffin wasnt thinking so much, and he was just playing football...

Yeah, it took Alf some 8 consecutive games or so to get there, Griff has had what, three.... this year?

Yeah, it took Alf some 8 consecutive games or so to get there, Griff has had what, three.... this year?

Sure, if they both had the exact same issue starting at the exact same time... This isnt a development flaw.. it's a brain fart.

Sure, if they both had the exact same issue starting at the exact same time... This isnt a development flaw.. it's a brain fart.

What pisses me off is coming into this weekend Gruden said that Griffin had to prove himself. Well he had only started in 3 games this season prior to this one. And considering he was injured and off he has only started 2 games since. So he got 2 games in his system before Gruden said prove yourself? I'm sorry but that is bullshit. Talk about trying to bury him, that is it. I don't know that Griffin would be the answer but Gruden is doing his fair share to help him fail.

What pisses me off is coming into this weekend Gruden said that Griffin had to prove himself. Well he had only started in 3 games this season prior to this one. And considering he was injured and off he has only started 2 games since. So he got 2 games in his system before Gruden said prove yourself? I'm sorry but that is bullshit. Talk about trying to bury him, that is it. I don't know that Griffin would be the answer but Gruden is doing his fair share to help him fail.

But were not in practice bro. I hear you about proving yourself but Alfred Morris could be hitting his holes and making his reads correctly in practice vs Griffin making these same fundamental mis-reads. I cant imagine that Gruden made the comments he made strictly based on game tape.

But were not in practice bro. I hear you about proving yourself but Alfred Morris could be hitting his holes and making his reads correctly in practice vs Griffin making these same fundamental mis-reads. I cant imagine that Gruden made the comments he made strictly based on game tape.

This is a moot point anyways because Griffin is in a no win situation. Ohh well chalk up another QB lol

He's 3-17 in his last 20 games fully played.

He called a game heavy with running, and simple throws that any beginning QB should be able to execute. Not sure what else he can do.

I dont agree with that. Griffin can change this, but its going to take hard work and film study. He needs to humble himself enough to walk up to Colt McCoy (like he did on the sidelines on sunday before the only good drive he had) and say "help me." He needs to walk to to Gruden and say the same thing. GOD i hope he already has but I most likely will never know for sure.

He called a game heavy with running, and simple throws that any beginning QB should be able to execute. Not sure what else he can do.

He's only started 3 games in this system, so the past standing/ played games in another system is somewhat irrelevant. Funny, but you left out why Gruden went run heavy. Gruden said he called a run heavy game to help Moses out at LT, not on Roberts behalf. He also said they didn't take shots down field for the same reason, to limit how much pas pro Moses and the rest of the line had to deal with. He knows his line is getting his QB killed. AS for passes a "beginning QB" should be able to execute, try them while running for your life.

Thought I read or heard somewhere that Griff was progressing in practice but it's not showing in games. If this has merit then I can see the uber frustration that Gruden conveys. He sees the capabilities but can't get over the lack of instinct/trust/confidence that Griff is showing real time and can't easily fix it.
Tampa was like Griff didn't have a clue, 49ers showed a drive and a handful of plays, maybe baby steps is what it'll take for Griff.

I want to say Gruden said he was going to shorten the playbook to help Griffin but I cant remember where. He also made mention about trying to simplify reads to aid in Griffin's ability to run it. I do think some of that had to do with an ailing, weak line, but the fact there had to be a lack of confidence in Griff as well.

When arguing the lack of ability to execute a system, you're 100% Miles.. previous systems cant be considered for obvious reasons. Even if Griffin is hurt he should still be able to execute the fundamental system. The damning information coming out about taking the wrong drops and reading the wrong side of the field is not rust, it's not understanding what he's doing. This past game he had a couple flashes of brilliance, a couple very good looking plays, then a couple that just make you put your hand on your head. While he might have only played 3 games, rust would be more along the lines of missing receivers (which he's done).

Last edited:
Thought I read or heard somewhere that Griff was progressing in practice but it's not showing in games. If this has merit then I can see the uber frustration that Gruden conveys. He sees the capabilities but can't get over the lack of instinct/trust/confidence that Griff is showing real time and can't easily fix it.
Tampa was like Griff didn't have a clue, 49ers showed a drive and a handful of plays, maybe baby steps is what it'll take for Griff.

I thought we had problems the second that John Keim stopped praising how he looked in practice. He used to rave about him in practice prior to the injury. He hates to criticize RG3, but when he clammed up on how he looked in practice this summer it was pretty obvious that we had a problem. From today:

•You could see on-field issues during the summer. One day he'd be good, but the next day he would be off. Growing pains? That's what they appeared to be. Yes, there were rumblings about coaches' frustration, but there were days they felt better and saw growth, too. Griffin did not look like a player ready to have a banner year, but reaching this point? No. I always felt it would take another year or so for him to hit more of a stride; have a couple good offseasons working in the pocket, etc.

Second thoughts: Washington Redskins-San Francisco 49ers, Week 12 - ESPN

Rich Gannon on NFL Radio,who did the game yesterday, said that RG3 is taking simple passes and making them hard.

He mentioned the footwork issue,which messes with the timing aspect of the passing game. Said every pass concept,regardless of system,has footwork involved to make things work.

Said you'd have weeks where the staff tells you : we're going against a good pass rush today,so we can't afford to take an extra hitch at the top of your drop and vice versa.

So some guys are able to calm themselves and remember that info and apply it and some guys never get it.

He said that Gruden told him that RG3 has never been asked to do any of this before which is why he struggles and why he doesn't trust what he sees. If you hitch more than once against a good pass rush,you're toast in this league.

He didn't blame every sack on Robert but said Robert had his hand in causing a few.

In and out of the truck today,so that's about all I caught.

Just providing some 411....

And McCoy is 7-15 in his last 22 games started

The one thing people seem to look past, is that practice and game play are not quite the same. Practice is not as fast or intense for the most part as real games. The QB knows he isn't going to get hammered to the ground, and the D knows they can't really go full out after him. Hell, Our O line likely blocks really well in practice. I agree it must be frustrating as hell for Gruden, but he does seem to be acknowledging the line is not protecting. He's seen a perfectly confident QB in Cousins get rattled to the point of being completely ineffective after a few games behind our line. A QB that has played in a pro style system in college, suited to Grudens system. I think he's fighting what he knows... the line needs to be fixed before he can truly evaluate any of the QB's on the team.

and he's playing for a totally eff'd up team with a coach in way over his head.

The one thing people seem to look past, is that practice and game play are not quite the same. Practice is not as fast or intense for the most part as real games. The QB knows he isn't going to get hammered to the ground, and the D knows they can't really go full out after him. Hell, Our O line likely blocks really well in practice. I agree it must be frustrating as hell for Gruden, but he does seem to be acknowledging the line is not protecting. He's seen a perfectly confident QB in Cousins get rattled to the point of being completely ineffective after a few games behind our line. A QB that has played in a pro style system in college, suited to Grudens system. I think he's fighting what he knows... the line needs to be fixed before he can truly evaluate any of the QB's on the team.

wait a minute! look at the stats! they say the other QBs have played infinitely better. don't you know to join the villagers when they are pillaging? get with it man!

Gruden

....... Sometimes when you have too many voices in your head, you think about too much.

Quite frankly, we need to get him to think about less and just play, have some fun playing and be a little more decisive with his reads and his progressions and getting the ball out of his hand and not taking some of these sacks.

It’s just part of the process. Sometimes you think too much and it makes you less decisive.

We’ve just got to get him to be more comfortable and more decisive and good things will happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.